No Line On The Horizon #1 on Amazon.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yahweh

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Don't believe me, go look...and the other versions are doing great too...the new song must be getting people to go to the site....Get On Your Boots!

The Boys are back!

There are TWO Boots on the iTunes sales ranking... Currently 36 and 60.

Double the fun.

There are TWO Boots on the iTunes sales ranking... Currently 36 and 60.

Double the fun.

That's too bad. I noticed that they had two single options...but it'd be nice if all the downloads went to the same one so that it could easily get in the top 10 and get picked up by people who wouldn't find it otherwise.

Any chance iTunes will rectify this?

I think the problem with the song is that it seems most people are preordering the album, and I get the feeling they are counting those sales as album sales and not counting for the singles statistics, (purely conjecture on my part.).

haha, #1 and #2 on the itunes albums and the song is 34/55...can't they find a way to combine the song?

Songs are based on the album or single they come from I think.

Do the pre-orders count as album sales now, or the first week of release?

I would assume that as far as the charts are concerned, pre-orders aren't considered "sales" until the week they are delivered, particularly since you can cancel a pre-order if you wish.

So does the iTunes singles chart represent sales in the last hour or last 24 hours or what? I wonder how much Universal paid to have U2 front and center on the iTunes store?

haha, #1 and #2 on the itunes albums and the song is 34/55...can't they find a way to combine the song?

I agree - this seems odd. If you look closely at the two songs, both say the "album" they are from is "Get On Your Boots". It's not like one says "Boots" and the other says "No Line on the Horizon". So if both are classified the same way, then why aren't they combined? U2 could have a top 10 hit (the way "Vertigo" should have been) due to download sales, but if iTunes split the sales, then...

I agree - this seems odd. If you look closely at the two songs, both say the "album" they are from is "Get On Your Boots". It's not like one says "Boots" and the other says "No Line on the Horizon". So if both are classified the same way, then why aren't they combined? U2 could have a top 10 hit (the way "Vertigo" should have been) due to download sales, but if iTunes split the sales, then...

Yeah, that's pretty annoying and unnecessary. If they crack the top 10 it makes a huge difference because most peoples' iTunes are set up so that you can always see the Top 10 songs in the corner of the application. If U2 get on there, it equals major publicity and downloads...so to see it split up like that is unfortunate. Regardless of what everyone thinks of the song, it's always good for U2 to "do well". This means we'll get more music from them more often over the rest of their career (they need to feel "relevant").

I would assume that as far as the charts are concerned, pre-orders aren't considered "sales" until the week they are delivered, particularly since you can cancel a pre-order if you wish.

So does the iTunes singles chart represent sales in the last hour or last 24 hours or what? I wonder how much Universal paid to have U2 front and center on the iTunes store?

I think the iTunes chart is rolling 24 hours, updated every hour. I think...

But it'll just be split on iTunes and not in the real charts, so they can still have a huge hit. If radio supports the single

But it'll just be split on iTunes and not in the real charts, so they can still have a huge hit. If radio supports the single

Well, apparently, it does: Worldwide Radio Goes Wild For New U2

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/worldwide-radio-goes-wild-for-new-u2-1003932020.story

U2's new single, "Get on Your Boots," scored massive audience numbers throughout Europe and the United Kingdom on its debut day of radio airplay yesterday (Jan. 19), according to Nielsen Music Control.

Arriving on the second day of the airplay-monitoring week, the new single shot straight to No. 1 on Ireland's airplay chart and No. 4 in the U.K., with total audiences of two million and 12.5 million respectively.

The song also fared well in Germany (78 million), Italy (11 million) and Austria (10 million), despite arriving near the end of the European monitoring week. Belgium and Holland showed a promising start with respective audiences of 3.5 and 2.6 million.

In the United States, "Boots" received 529 total spins, according to Nielsen BDS. KYSR-Los Angeles played it 24 times, while KENZ-Salt Lake City was second with 18.

"Get on Your Boots" was unveiled simultaneously around the world at 8:15 a.m. GMT yesterday. Originally U2 had announced the song would not be available digitally until Feb. 15, but it went live yesterday via Apple's iTunes Music Store in the United States.

The band's forthcoming album, "No Line on the Horizon" will be released March 2 through Mercury/Universal in the U.K. and the following day in North America through Interscope/Universal.

GOYB will probably put up similar chart numbers to The Fly. It'll be top 5 in the UK and Canada, while the US will give it the cold shoulder.

doctorwho,

I have been reading your comments on this forum for a long time and have always enjoyed you input on sales numbers. I want to ask your opinion on who you think is to blame for all of these missteps in marketing.

Beautiful day had no single released in the US. With a single it would have been a top ten hit easily maybe even number 1.

Vertigo again had no "hard copy" single which was the only thing that counted in 2004 which again would have propelled the song into the top 10.

And now we have Boots being split for no apparent reason. It has yet to be seen if this will hurt the chart position but it appears that it might.

For anyone who reads this and says "who cares what position they are on the charts as long as they make good music" please go to another page, this place is not for you.

Beautiful day had no single released in the US. With a single it would have been a top ten hit easily maybe even number 1.

Vertigo again had no "hard copy" single which was the only thing that counted in 2004 which again would have propelled the song into the top 10.

The major labels in the US have no interest in selling singles; they want to sell albums. It has been their practice for years to release songs only to radio so that people will shell out $18.99 for the album. The only number they care about is album sales, not chart positions.

And now we have Boots being split for no apparent reason. It has yet to be seen if this will hurt the chart position but it appears that it might.

I'm sure the figures will be combined as far as the chart position is concerned.

The major labels in the US have no interest in selling singles; they want to sell albums. It has been their practice for years to release songs only to radio so that people will shell out $18.99 for the album. The only number they care about is album sales, not chart positions.

I'm sure the figures will be combined as far as the chart position is concerned.

That's probably true up until a few years ago but now singles are probably just as important, seeing as they're starting to outsell albums

Digital singles, yes. I don't know whether there's any money to be made selling physical singles because no one puts them out in the US anymore.

The Cure had a number one single (based on physical sales) back in the fall to give you some idea how hot the US singles market is.

When BD was released Physical singles were still the most popular type of single being sold. Not having a BD single caused U2 to not have a top ten single, period.

I agree that album sales are much more inportant however look at the recent string of artists (Beatles, Michael Jackson, Elvis) that have released #1s albums and in the Beatles case to enormous success. If U2s singles promotion in the United States had been better with proper releasing of singles and promotion U2 would easily have double the amount of top 10s than they currenlty have.

You can't tell me this would not help create more album sales.

Back
Top Bottom