no 2 U2 albums in 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was talking to one of my mates yesterday and he came up with a fair point. As we know Brian Eno produced both Viva La Vida and No Line.

U2 pushed back their album release for 2009 due to it not being what they wanted as well as the possibility that Coldplay had a big year in 2008 and U2 being the competitive bunch they are supposedly want to make 2009 their own. Coldplay (with Eno's push) released an EP late last year. It seems highly likely that U2 may do something similar, if not an EP but a full album, with the encouragement of Eno.

Or I have no idea what I'm talking about. Either way.

If its mostly done I would think everyone here would hope they'd just release it, one the idea sounds excellent, two it'll give the tour some more momentum/material, and finally it would certainly take away time for overcooking. :hyper:

they could of made it a double cd album Daylight and Darkness...

anyway, don't think I want a ambient album! give us more rock! with the odd slowy bunged in for good measure...but all ambient no....no :hmm:

This thread title's a bit misleading because there is no hard evidence that there won't be another U2 album out this year. In fact, now that we've had a couple reports since the NME interview that imply that another album will come out later this year, and also the previous reports about U2 having enough songs for two or three albums, the evidence points to the likelihood that we will see another album this year, or at least soon.

And I agree with Powerhour, bring this one out ASAP so there's less of a chance the band will get cold feet and overcook it!

I don't see why people think they need a huge amount of time to complete it. We have numerous quotes saying how much material they had, and we know they have fniished, or at least very nearly finished Tripoli, Every Breaking Wave and Winter.

Descriptions of all those songs say they are more ambient and layered. By all reports, they just didn't fit. The Iovine quote to me supports the theory that the new album is nearly complete. He said they needed to more songs for NLOTH. Since then, they left off these three songs, that Eno has beenr aving about. To em the songs they needed were for stylistic purposes, not quality purposes.

Now they have a surplus of finished ambient tunes, and it probably won't take more recording to complete it, rather just some studio work from Eno and lanois.

Hopefully Mercy will be on there as a key track.:drool:

Mercy won't be on the new, late 2009, album.

It's apparently the scorching rock'n'roll molten metal from Neptune album U2 always wanted to make.

Bono says "if the late 2009 album, Solar, is not our best ever, I will cut Edge's guitar-playing arm off on the stage".

I have little doubt it will be a U2's best ever album, even if it's a little late (eg. released 24 December 2018).

Mercy won't be on the new, late 2009, album.

It's apparently the scorching rock'n'roll molten metal from Neptune album U2 always wanted to make.

Bono says "if the late 2009 album, Solar, is not our best ever, I will cut Edge's guitar-playing arm off on the stage".

I have little doubt it will be a U2's best ever album, even if it's a little late (eg. released 24 December 2018).

Haven't seen this at all. Im calling total horse-shit given the reference to SOLAR. Also, molten metal? Apart from all the quotes saying its abient and reflective.

Are you bullshitting us, or have you been led up the garden path?

Not mentioned yet in terms of the "facts" is that Larry, the most cautious member, already pointed towards a second album of material.

And as someone already stated above, the fact that the album is being described in terms of its atmosphere and thematics suggests it's much further along than the pessimists are willing to admit.

I'm not saying I'd bet money that it will be out before the end of the year, but they probably have a LOT in the can, and perhaps this has been part of the release strategy from the beginning--as in, some really great songs were cut at the last minute with the understanding that they would have a place in the near futute.

I think the clearest indication of another album in 2009 is from the Bono interview in the Observer, where he clearly said that there would be another more meditative album "on the theme of pilgrimage" out in 2009. this was after NLTOH had been completed and the "two EPs" idea had been ditched, so it is clearly something different.

In the NRJ interview they did not go that far, they just said that they had another "more ambient album", but no indication as to when or if it would be released. Edge's comment about finishing Winter makes me thing that (as always) he may want to tinker further with the songs before releasing them.

My feeling is that they could do a Prospekt's March/Viva la vida like combo of NLTOH and the ambient album for the the next Xmas season, to get some extra sales.

But I bet plans are not finalised yet, and a lot rides on how well will NLOTH do commercially, how the tour schedule develops, etc..

anyway, don't think I want a ambient album! give us more rock! with the odd slowy bunged in for good measure...but all ambient no....no :hmm:

Don't see what would be wrong with putting out a more ambient album, if the material is already there? If they don't release this stuff, you'll be waiting a good few years before you hear anything new from U2. They might even throw a couple of rock tunes into it for good measure....ambient yes....yes!

I wonder if the success or otherwise of NLOTH will have a major bearing on whether they release a Zooropa-style album. Zooropa came on the back of the hugely successful and acclaimed Achtung Baby, and had no pressure on it to make a statement for U2. If NLOTH flops (GOYB at no.12 in the UK singles chart isn't a great sign), U2 may want to go back to the drawing board, and feel the need to dream up some huge rock anthems to put themselves back on the map again. Fingers crossed NLOTH captures the general public's imagination, and Tripoli, Winter, EBW etc see the light of day in the not-too-distant future.

U2 should stop giving a shit about what more-than-likely causal fans think, and just continue releasing good albums. They will sell. After all, U2 still has a massive fan base consisting of all ages. And their past few albums have all sold 6+ million. A real feat for a band their age.

I there's no need to release 2 albums in the same year. It's useless and one would kill another. Plus the amount of bitching would come in double. Dear me...:sad:

....30 years ago it was the norm; Low - Heroes... Transformer - Berlin etal, this era is different sadly and I think it's unfortunate acts seem to sit on an album for up to 2, 3 years before moving onto another project. ie. regardless of your opinion on them musically; just look at Nickelback, they flogged that last but one album for 3.5 years. yikes...

U2 should stop giving a shit about what more-than-likely causal fans think, and just continue releasing good albums. They will sell. After all, U2 still has a massive fan base consisting of all ages. And their past few albums have all sold 6+ million. A real feat for a band their age.

I hope U2 ages gracefully. If the album flops (though I don't think it will) they will have to decide if it's related to the quality of the music or because old people are "uncool". They have to have some confidence in the music or else they'll be dumbing down their music which in the long run doesn't benefit anyone.

I remember hearing Ok Compute for the first time and felt alone in my high praise of it. I know it's too dark for many people to accept it. It sold less than The Bends but in the long run it became the critical darling and people look at it as a watershed for the band.

If U2 wants to make great music they have to let it have time to sink in and use their tours to show how great the songs are.

I still think "All My Life" could be a huge hit. The chorus is catchy and the guitar is great.

I agree. That chorus is massive. Unfortunately, the song wouldn't have fit on NLOTH, and I don't foresee it fitting on an ambient second album. :sigh:

If Winter is included on Linear but not on NLOTH, I wonder if that affects its chances of being included on the second, more ambient album. I hope not, and I don't fully expect that it should affect its inclusion...but it's possible.

It's kind of funny how we're all in love with Winter already, mainly because we're assuming that that Dallas clip was Winter. :wink:

I agree. That chorus is massive. Unfortunately, the song wouldn't have fit on NLOTH, and I don't foresee it fitting on an ambient second album. :sigh:

true........but cant they put it out as a b-side. the song deserves some kind of release. unless they're saving it for later down the road. although, i dont see it on album unless they return to the sound of atyclb.

I don't think we're getting an album anytime soon.

But if we did, I would hope they keep their promise about the ambient album. Keep Brian Eno around, let him cowrite every song on the album. Just make him a member. When he's not around and Lillywhite comes in, that's when the mediocre shit happens.

Back
Top Bottom