NLOTH FULL ALBUM - Shamelessly Immediate Review Thread (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I listened to it twice through...its no "masterpiece":reject: but it is better than Bomb...so it give it a :up:

It takes me about 3 months to really get to know an album...so for right now, I really don't know where NLOTH stands! But it's different and Edge is blowing my fuckin mind on some of these tracks...

I personally would rate it up there with Achtung Baby and even better then Joshua Tree. I didnt think they would get to that level for me again but they have and they arent ready to retire just yet.

I could care less if others think its a masterpiece or not....at the very least it is the best thing theyve done since Achtung Baby...which is a very long time :)

I think this could be my favourite album released in the last 2 years, the last album I liked more than this was Neon Bible. And this is easily in my top five U2 albums, along with the other four they made with Lanois and Eno :lol:

I personally would rate it up there with Achtung Baby and even better then Joshua Tree. I didnt think they would get to that level for me again but they have and they arent ready to retire just yet.

I could care less if others think its a masterpiece or not....at the very least it is the best thing theyve done since Achtung Baby...which is a very long time :)

better than the joshua tree? no way.

Would it be possible for me to loop the intro to Cedars of Lebanon for all eternity?

Joshua Tree is overrated in general...I didnt think theyde write a song with the type of power that Streets has but they have accomplished this with Magnificent which is truely Magnificent.

^ No, I've got to disagree...you just can't top the into to Streets...

Magnificent has a very different feel to it...its really good, don't get me wrong

right now I would rate the top 5 for me as follows.

Achtung Baby
NLOTH/Joshua Tree
POP
ATYCLB

I love reading all these comments. People should step back from the hyperboil and let the album sink in. Everytime a new U2 album comes out it's the same story. "THIS IS THE GREATEST THING SINCE GOD INVENTED LIGHT"...year or two later..."U2 sucks now, and hasn't been good since boy/war/uf/jt/ab/pop/etc..."

I didnt think theyde write a song with the type of power that Streets has but they have accomplished this with Magnificent which is truely Magnificent.

I think Streets will still be the centerpiece of any live show, maybe forever.

There are so many "OOHHHHHHH or OUHHHHHHHH" all over the place. I'm really not a fan of those./QUOTE]

This complaint is shaping up to be THE cliche of the negative/lukewarm critiques. How many times has someone pointed out all the "oooohhhhh"s -- a million, maybe two million times? You don't have to love the album, god knows, but try to come up with something a little more substantial and a little more original, because I can't hear this particular one any more.

it is a great album

only listening to it a few times so far, I don't think it's the 3rd classic. someone posted earlier, i don't think there are too many radio friendly songs. they are great, but a little too deep and complex..the anti-bubble gum. i hope i'm wrong though

Stand Up Comedy is this album's Love and Peace
the title track rocks !
MOS is a 7 minute hymn...this album's SYCMIOYO
I'm initially not enjoying that falsetto in IGCIIDGCT....the one in the verses

So far, I'm giving it 8.4 out of 10

I like it a lot.

With HTDAAB, I felt, on first listen(s) that every song was a beautifully sculpted, hook laden song. There was no fat. All hooks and pop formalism. I loved each song (except maybe All Because of You.) But as time went on, the album had less and less cohesion and I haven't felt the need to listen to the album as a whole in a long time.

But NLOTH it seems messy, and I feel like the songs that haven't hit me yet may start doing so in the next month. I feel like this will be an album worth working through from start to finish many times, captivating enough to intrigue after years of listening.

(But then, it's been, what, a day?! :reject:)

I will love to see the live production that comes with this album....istead of images kicking the shit out of you it will be the sounds of these songs :)

Not bad, I definitely prefer the album version of NL...

Unknown Caller is probably my favourite along with Cedars, the latter samples and old Eno/Harold Budd track called Against the Sky which is on The Pearl [1983], the album features Eno & Daniel Lanois and if you like all those UF 'atmospherics' it is worth a purchase. Breathe is good, STC is meh, the riff is familiar, Magnificent and Crazy are also songs I think Is shall really like sooner rather than later :sexywink:

So yeah initially for me it's a pretty good album, I think probably a grower [the old cliche!] also I wonder how some of it will fit into a live setting, especially the big stadia shows. I am sure they will want to do alot of it showing faith in this new music.

I shall do a smartass Pitchfork style review and say an initial: 7.8/10
[that most likely will go up!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom