NLOTH FULL ALBUM - Shamelessly Immediate Review Thread (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anybody's favorite GOYB?

Listening to the album it's obvious what a bizarre choice of a first single it was...

also, I like NLOTH 2 much more but am glad that it starts with NLOTH...1. The more ambient one disorients me, and disorientation is a big part of this album (FEZ -> White as Snow is the most contrast I've ever felt in an album, more or less)

Boots separates the album well....the first half is very full of light and the second half is very dark....love both parts....

Brilliant album. Abso-fucking-lutely brilliant.

Interesting tidbit from @U2 (true?):

"Little did anyone know that NLOTH was also available on the Napster Mobile online store. An @U2 reader found it and bought the album on February 8th; it was available all last week, and finally removed yesterday (Feb. 16)."

couple scattered thoughts:

No line and Fez are the most Achtung Sounding songs to me.

the last minute of Stand Up is one of the biggest sounds I've ever heard from the band. Bono's vocals towards the end are just monstrous and youthful.

I'm glad I picked this forum to read over @U2.. they dropped the ball with that Napster business :lol:

Wow! Are you kidding me? The whole album was available on NapsterMobile from February 8th till yesterday and that wasn't posted anywhere until now?!!

I don't really know what to make or say about that.

Wow! Are you kidding me? The whole album was available on NapsterMobile from February 8th till yesterday and that wasn't posted anywhere until now?!!

Yeah, crazy. What an obscure place to find it... ah well, at least we have it now :)

Listening to MAGNIFICENT for the 2nd time. Didn't like his singing in the "Only Love" choruses the first time thru...i was expecting him to really really belt it out in pure operatic fashion. But now i absolutely love that slight vulnerability in his voice. This song is gonna be so huge. Remember how much flak COBL got for seeming like a poor attempt to dethrone Streets? Well, I think i can honestly say this song has that power, that Streets power. Absolutely transcendant. And danceable like Lemon. Haha. Fucking killer. And totally not what i expected!

Honestly, if I were the Napster execs I'd be pretty ashamed:

they're so irrelevant an anticipated album was available for over a week and no one noticed. :wink:

I'm fucked, I have to get up at the butt crack of dawn and I am SO NOT TIRED right now.

Please explain, because this makes no sense...

I just meant that, sonically this album is fantastic. The instrumentation and production is exquisite. And then it's kind of just stomped on by Bono's forceful and plain and cheesy lyrics. Now I'm exaggerating to a point. It's not horrible. But where a lot of the music is nuanced and crafted, Bono's voice just kind of hammers at it. With Pop, which had crafted tones, his voice was part of the music. It felt crafted along side it rather than just over laid on top of it. Again I'm talking from a production stand point. Here it feels like his voice just doesn't mesh that well with the music for the most part. there are exceptions, and the music is great overall....I was just hoping for Pop levels of crafting and this just falls short.

But apparently I'm crazy if I don't think this is the second coming.

Strong emotional tie with this one already...so not one to be objective. I LOVE IT is all that I can offer.

Brilliant album. Abso-fucking-lutely brilliant.

Interesting tidbit from @U2 (true?):

"Little did anyone know that NLOTH was also available on the Napster Mobile online store. An @U2 reader found it and bought the album on February 8th; it was available all last week, and finally removed yesterday (Feb. 16)."

Wow.:lol:

I don't need to talk myself into liking this one, unlike if I'm honest the last 2 which were shadows of their best work. I've only listened through once and a half but I think this could be their best yet. Pretty rough journey this album though, a dark second half.

This is going to be a great one to revisit and revisit and revisit. Great to hear Edge not afraid to solo again, rhythm section more sophisticated that normal and Bono displaying wide range. One of the guitar solos left me with a watering eye problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom