NLOTH FULL ALBUM - Shamelessly Immediate Review Thread (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fucking hell... Moment of Surrender just kicked my ass.

I don't mind the "ATM" lyric... it's the "ATM machine" part that almost ruins things :doh:

After the first listen:

I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight
Moment of Surrender
Cedars of Lebanon
White as Snow
Stand Up Comedy
Magnificent
Unknown Caller
FEZ–Being Born
Get On Your Boots
Breathe
No Line on the Horizon

Unknown Caller: Cool, classic Edge, Beatles feel, super cool

Crazy: The best bridge I've heard from U2 in a very long time, it did just what I hoped it would.

Boots: Still not a big fan, but after 5 great songs it sounds ok in the whole experience.

Starting the second listen-through... I'm quite impressed... I'm going to have to listen to this in comparison with Bomb tomorrow... hmm... wow... I'm becoming speechless. Sadly I've got to go do work now, so I'll be leaving. Thanks everyone for sharing the joy :D:drool:

Breathe. I knew this song would fucking rock from the beach clip, but it's 10 times what I expected it to be.

First impression: there are no career-defining songs. (Streets, Beautiful Day)

It is, however, very consistently very good. And that's respectable.

When as a grown man at 35 you see yourself tearing up as the album ends and go WOW what a journey, the album's title is perfect fit. There is no line on the horizon. Life goes on and we must do our best to become more spiritual with ourselves and everyone else.

God Bless U2. They once again have taken me through a journey JT and Achtung Baby took me.

Thanks all ... these early reviews are so much fun

Edit... I meant to say

This is U2's least self-conscious record since TJT. AB is a classic mind you but that album and every album since then has had an element of U2 managing its image through its music rather than letting the music manage its image ... not so much w/ this record (expect for Bono mocking his activism).

I think the point is obvious but this is a return to U2 not giving a rip in the best possible sense. Early U2 (through TJT) was so genuis because it was so pure and unencumbered. AB and (maybe) ATYCLB were both miracle albums in the sense that bands who reach level of success always implode or get lost in an orgy of excess. This album could be a double miracle - a brilliant late career work AND a return to innocence regain through maturity and an awareness of frailty. Peace out.

Ok, WOW. I get Breathe now. What a great song.
It was almost too direct at first. Not subtle sounding at all after
MOS, UC etc. Fuck it! who needs subtle.

In a glorious way, this album marks the beginning of the final U2 chapter - a band at peace w/ God and itself but NOT content to rest and drift away, or (as Nigel Tufnel once said) to tread water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry. I've always hoped U2 would follow the Johnny Cash route and take it up a notch w/ age and this proves it.

This is U2's least self-conscious record since TJT. AB is a classic mind you but that album and every album since then has had an element of U2 managing its image through its rather than letting the music manage its image ... not so much w/ this record (expect for Bono mocking his activism).

Moment of Surrender blew me away. This is one the most subtle and deeply spiritual works they've every done. Not at all preachy but a deep well. Think about the scene about the ATM scene and the vision/visionary lyric and read 2 Corinthians 4:18:
"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
And for the passerby lyric ... read the parable of the Good Samaritan. (Luke 10:25-37) One the most beautiful things in the scriptures is that Jesus' ministry was mostly done through interruptions. He didn't give a crap about appointments! We are all passersby but he (like the Good Samaritan) stopped to give the least of these the time of day. The people who were touched were not the "righteous" but the humble, weak and broken who had faith in their own moment of surrender.

U2 is so epic (and this album may be remembered as epic) because they understand that music is a bridge to the eternal and to truths that can't be put in words. It's not about them (in spite of Bono's ego) but about something beyond them. Their music has a scent of something much more beyond what we see ... Magnificent!

Thanks for this, I agree.

Honestly, I have waiting for this album for 17 years. I always hoped that they would make an album on the level of Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree but expressing love for and faith in God as much as doubt in God.
To me this album is a kind of answer to prayer. I'll shut up though. Thanks for the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom