NLOTH Album Reviews - Professional / Web / Mag Reviews ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Metacritic listed the negetive reviews as much as they could but positive reviews are few and far between. I wonder... something fishy is going there.:hmm::hmm::hmm:

I sent them a nasty email complaining about that and how they had a review from the Austin Chronicle or something like that but not Mojo or Q. Next time I checked, they had added both of them. I wonder if it worked :D

Yeah, anybody who disagrees with you on anything is an "ass".

Prindle's an independent reviewer, probably my favourite out there. Just thought I'd share it with you guys, even though it's not a major site.

Really? Oh, because you like him, that makes him an instant expert and respectable source.

You're putting words into my mouth. I just enjoy his reviews, and deemed his NLOTH review appropriate enough to share. Calm the fuck down.

:eyebrow:

I am calm. You made it sound as if this guy that no one here has ever heard of is some kind of authority, when obviously he isn't.

His opinion isn't any more legitimate than that of another music critic from a different paper or website.

:eyebrow:

I am calm. You made it sound as if this guy that no one here has ever heard of is some kind of authority, when obviously he isn't.

His opinion isn't any more legitimate than that of another music critic from a different paper or website.

Well, guess what? I thought that, despite the fact he doesn't write for a publication, he's a famous enough critic to be worthy of this thread.

And that's why I posted his review.

And I'll post it again if I have to!

Since when are music critic's opinions legitimate? Does that mean our opinions are worth nothing now because the music critic's opinions is the only way to go?

NLOTH Burning party at my place people!

And I'll post it again if I have to!

Please not, once is enough.

Since when are music critic's opinions legitimate? Does that mean our opinions are worth nothing now because the music critic's opinions is the only way to go?

NLOTH Burning party at my place people!

No, in fact, our opinions are more legitimate than those of music critics.

I think Metacritic listed the negetive reviews as much as they could but positive reviews are few and far between. I wonder... something fishy is going there.:hmm::hmm::hmm:

The week's other big release, Neko Case's Middle Cyclone (a pretty good album if you're a Neko Case fan), received an 82 average with nearly the same reviewers. It's not metacritics' fault.

Shit, so if I become a music critic, my opinion automatically becomes less valid? Despite the fact it's actually my JOB to be good at music criticism? Heaven forbid somebody enjoy music and want to make a career out of writing about it.

I hope no music critics post here in a casual capacity! Guys, sorry, your opinion is unworthy of LU. Well, maybe if you unceasingly gush over U2, she might give you a pass.

Guys! This is

SERIOUS BUSINESS

here!

Despite the fact our opinions are FAR more LEGITIMATE than those of music critics, we need to get seriously worked up over something that these music critics say, and call them asses! I mean, we need to clearly point out how much more LEGITIMATE our opinions are by bashing others over the head with them, right?!

Shit, so if I become a music critic, my opinion automatically becomes less valid? Despite the fact it's actually my JOB to be good at music criticism? Heaven forbid somebody enjoy music and want to make a career out of writing about it.

I hope no music critics post here in a casual capacity! Guys, sorry, your opinion is unworthy of LU. Well, maybe if you unceasingly gush over U2, she might give you a pass.

Unicorn is the ultimate U2defender Axver. Like a mothergoose trying to protect her sweet little babies (in this case: Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry) she can not help but act on instinct :wink:

Here is an interesting one:

Achtung Baby

Too Much of a New Thing

The St. Petersburg Times, November 29, 1991

Chris Snider

U2
Achtung Baby
(Island)
2 stars

Making a classic album, as U2 did with 1987's The Joshua Tree, brings its own set of problems. Besides the pressures of heightened stardom and being looked upon as pop messiahs and all that blah blah blah, the act must, at some point, put out another album.

To be accurate, U2 did that a couple of years ago with the soundtrack to the documentary Rattle and Hum, a low-stress affair that combined live tracks with a few new things. The set was more of a spin-off project than a full-blown album. Achtung Baby stands as the real follow-up to The Joshua Tree.

And Ireland's favorite sons seem to have come down with a case of Followup-itis. Although not a disaster, the new disc lacks the fire, the magic and the sheer meaning of Joshua, which established U2 as the best rock band in the world at dealing with political and spiritual themes in ways that were at once universal and personal.

The new album is almost obsessively personal, dealing with a darker side of love, loss, hope and despair, which is not intrinsically bad, of course, but the lyrics have an obtuseness about them that does not suit the band.

U2 may have tripped a bit by trying too hard not to repeat itself. Artistic change is best achieved as naturally as possible. U2 sounds as if it forced things. The band makes its not-the-same-old-U2 statement in the opening track, "Zoo Station," a churning rocker that finds Bono singing through a studio device that distorts his vocal. There's a mechanical, high-tech feel about the track that makes you suspect U2 has been listening to bands of the Jesus Jones ilk.

Three of pop's most elite and arty producers were at the controls of Achtung Baby: Daniel Lanois, Steve Lillywhite and Brian Eno. They work together or separately on the 12 tunes. All told, the producers concoct a dazzling cornucopia of sound fat, dreamy, heavily echoed layers of sound. Sounds, and combinations of sounds, you've never heard before.

Guitarist Edge, once the master of chinka-chinka minimalism, has opened up a whole new sonic universe. His ax emits everything from abrasive shards of noise to lyrical slide solos to spiky strums to plaintive chord voicings, fuzzy riffs, shrieking feedback, wanton echo and a whole bunch more.

The gauzy production is consistently engaging, although sometimes you get a yen for the sandpapery guitar and ragged beats of old.

The album's preoccupation with sound almost masks a key element: the songs on Achtung Baby are just not up to standard. Although catchy in spots and enlightening in others, the melodies are simply not as grabby as the book of U2 classics. A few have potential. A highlight is "Acrobat," which chugs along on a syncopated beat and oozes passion.

Speaking of passion, Bono's singing is missing some. He seems to have consciously toned down his vocals, cutting back on the blood-curdling yowls, choosing instead to simmer, croon and explore a delicate falsetto. That's not to say Bono has gone wimpy he's just not as arresting on Achtung Baby as he has been in the past.

© St. Petersburg Times, 1991. All rights reserved.

wow, that guy nailed almost everything in that Achtung Baby review and yet still gave it 2 stars

Here is an interesting one:

Achtung Baby

Too Much of a New Thing

The St. Petersburg Times, November 29, 1991

Chris Snider

U2
Achtung Baby
(Island)
2 stars

Making a classic album, as U2 did with 1987's The Joshua Tree, brings its own set of problems. Besides the pressures of heightened stardom and being looked upon as pop messiahs and all that blah blah blah, the act must, at some point, put out another album.

To be accurate, U2 did that a couple of years ago with the soundtrack to the documentary Rattle and Hum, a low-stress affair that combined live tracks with a few new things. The set was more of a spin-off project than a full-blown album. Achtung Baby stands as the real follow-up to The Joshua Tree.

And Ireland's favorite sons seem to have come down with a case of Followup-itis. Although not a disaster, the new disc lacks the fire, the magic and the sheer meaning of Joshua, which established U2 as the best rock band in the world at dealing with political and spiritual themes in ways that were at once universal and personal.

The new album is almost obsessively personal, dealing with a darker side of love, loss, hope and despair, which is not intrinsically bad, of course, but the lyrics have an obtuseness about them that does not suit the band.

U2 may have tripped a bit by trying too hard not to repeat itself. Artistic change is best achieved as naturally as possible. U2 sounds as if it forced things. The band makes its not-the-same-old-U2 statement in the opening track, "Zoo Station," a churning rocker that finds Bono singing through a studio device that distorts his vocal. There's a mechanical, high-tech feel about the track that makes you suspect U2 has been listening to bands of the Jesus Jones ilk.

Three of pop's most elite and arty producers were at the controls of Achtung Baby: Daniel Lanois, Steve Lillywhite and Brian Eno. They work together or separately on the 12 tunes. All told, the producers concoct a dazzling cornucopia of sound fat, dreamy, heavily echoed layers of sound. Sounds, and combinations of sounds, you've never heard before.

Guitarist Edge, once the master of chinka-chinka minimalism, has opened up a whole new sonic universe. His ax emits everything from abrasive shards of noise to lyrical slide solos to spiky strums to plaintive chord voicings, fuzzy riffs, shrieking feedback, wanton echo and a whole bunch more.

The gauzy production is consistently engaging, although sometimes you get a yen for the sandpapery guitar and ragged beats of old.

The album's preoccupation with sound almost masks a key element: the songs on Achtung Baby are just not up to standard. Although catchy in spots and enlightening in others, the melodies are simply not as grabby as the book of U2 classics. A few have potential. A highlight is "Acrobat," which chugs along on a syncopated beat and oozes passion.

Speaking of passion, Bono's singing is missing some. He seems to have consciously toned down his vocals, cutting back on the blood-curdling yowls, choosing instead to simmer, croon and explore a delicate falsetto. That's not to say Bono has gone wimpy he's just not as arresting on Achtung Baby as he has been in the past.

© St. Petersburg Times, 1991. All rights reserved.

I've read quite a lot of the reviews and, let's face, anyone with an internet connection can be a music critic
I've read reviews from people that made me wonder whether they liked listening to music at all

I've read numerous reviews of which I'm 99% certain the reviewer didn't hear the album more than once and probably skipped through parts during the one listen

in a healthy percentage of the reviews the reviewer just about admitted being too caught up in pre-conceived notions on the band / Bono

I actually agree Interference gives a better insight in this album as:
- we actually listened to the album
- though given to a favourable bias towards the band it seems we're able to talk about the music more objectively than most critics as mostly we don't get sidetracked with non issues as our feelings re. Bono and wondering what our readers want to read

so basically
I predict Pitchfork will slam the next album by unfavourably comparing it to the excellent No Line on the Horizon

:shrug:

At this time, about half the Vulture's new articles are U2 bashes. I'm sure they're having a grand old time, but it seems rather obsessive.

Heaven forbid they show compassion towards them, the tax-dodging, name-calling and eternally unhip bastards! Nevermind talking about the music, of course.

Another local review, 4 stars

Never before have so many young bands sounded like U2. Coldplay, Kings of Leon and the Killers, to mention the obvious examples, have listened to the albums of the Irish band. Finding a new formula, after two more classic sounding albums, which U2 wanted do so much this time, was a hard task - comparable to the feat that made the masterpiece Achtung Baby. As the stolen demos from that record revealed, the ideas come inconsistently and at random and U2 need the studio wizard (Brian Eno) to get it all in the right shape. This product of a year and a half work with Eno and Daniel Lanois was promoted as the best album of their career before release. The ghosts of the past are present in a strong way - Magnificent recalls War's Surrender, and the title song is subtly pushed forward by a faster guitar riff of The Fly. That the melody of the latter sounds like something out of Chris Martin's arsenal, shows that the influences are now going both ways. At least one third of the songs are a tribute to the singer's wife Ali, and the lyrics become more interesting when Bono assumes the autobiographic stories of characters - a junkie, policeman, dying soldier and war correspondent. The story of the last one - Cedars of Lebanon - is one of the peaks of this album. The world politics is only mentioned once mockingly, in the charging first hit Get on your boots where the Edge, just like in Breathe, is firing on all cilinders. But the key thread of the album is in the music subtlety and the lack of really good ideas. The Edge, the engine of U2's sound, offers a colourful spectre of melodies in the background the whole time, while his usual solos sound even more minimalistic then usual. Bono now tends to tell stories and using lyrics in the manner of Leonard Cohen but for the most part he isn't up to that standard (yet). In the end, the album as a whole doesn't reach Achtung Baby, and neither Zooropa in its experimental twists.

4/5 stars.

After more than a decade of looking for a sound to follow up the sound from the album Joshua Tree, the last two U2 albums brought succesful return into loud and mainstream rock waters. Five years later U2 at least partially abandon this sound as well. The new album is similar to the album The unforgettable fire in this regard, the record that has come after the very succesful album War, but the wish to change and at least partially risk was too big. Like then, U2 risks this time as well, with a less pure rock and more ambiental atmosphere, full of eastern influences, floating pianos and ballads. Magnificent is the most classicaly energetic U2 song, while FEZ, Cedars of Lebanon or Moment of surrender are closer to MLK, Promenade or Unforgettable fire from that album.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom