NLOTH Album Reviews - Professional / Web / Mag Reviews ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find the current critical consensus very interesting. It seems that very few sites outright hate the album, but a good percentage find it frustratingly broad and pandering, enjoying certain aspects while disliking others, and ending up not entirely sure what to think in the end.

Fortunately, U2 is reportedly creating an album much smaller in scope and more focused, and this could put the band back in the media's good graces.

Personally, I love NLOTH, but the criticism (which hasn't even been particularly harsh) is understandable.

"Austin Chronicle" (Metacritic) gave the album probably the lowest, most negative score to date: 1 1/2 stars :doh:

Music: Review - U2 - The Austin Chronicle

HOME: MARCH 6, 2009: MUSIC

BY RAOUL HERNANDEZ

U2
No Line on the Horizon (Universal)

Dublin's home brew never made a bad album, but it's nursed plenty of hangovers: sophomore slump October, Joshua Tree runoff Rattle and Hum, Achtung Baby backwash Zooropa. In the wake of U2's rebirth after 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb four years later, No Line on the Horizon reaches for The Unforgettable Fire's post-War reinvention but misfires this side of Pop without the songs. That initial single "Get on Your Boots" smells of Bomb detonate "Vertigo" constitutes the first clue. Using all three U2 studio designates, meanwhile – Lanois, Eno, and Lillywhite – produces Hell's Kitchen, not the usual soufflé of anthems. The opening title cut could be off any of the band's last three LPs, while "Magnificent" refracts the band's bad-hair heyday as if it were Simple Minds. Soft undulation "Moment of Surrender" leaks inane lyrics, which cripple Horizon. The death of Bono's da fueled U2's previous two discs, but here "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" aborts on title alone, and lyrics by committee piss away an affecting vocal and melody on "White as Snow." Closer "Cedars of Lebanon" wouldn't make The Joshua Tree bonus disc. Rectification: a bad album, another U2 first.

Lazy review (maybe worst than the one from Bitchfork).

"'Cedars of Lebanon' wouldn't make The Joshua Tree bonus disc."

Correct, because it works more than perfectly as NLOTH's closer and as one of the band's best songs this decade.

Those reviews are getting pretty lame lately...

22 reviews with a 72 average. The Q review still hasn't been counted, but when you add that in, the average only rises by 1 measly point.

It's pretty clear most critics agree that NLOTH is an average album. It's not just pitchfork dragging it down--more than half of the reviews scored the album 70 or under. If the rumors are true, then it'll only be within the year that the fans will finally agree, since it usually takes a new album for some people to see the faults of the old one.

"Pop Top: U2 rises, shines on 'Horizon'

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 03/03/2009 08:35:46 AM MST

Grade: B+

CD » "No Line on the Horizon," U2's best album since 1991's "Achtung Baby" arrives today, and it reclaims the Irish quartet's title of Best Band in the World. "I was born to sing for you," bellows Bono early on. While nothing is as immediately radio-friendly as the band's best moments of the last decade, the lyrically provocative songs -- about faith, love and war -- work well together and create a crescendo that is powerful and affecting, buttressed by the same rich, dense production textures of "Zooropa." The Edge further reinvents himself on the guitar, this time adding groovy grunge to his palette. Getting better with each listen -- trust me -- this is a bold album to push us through 2009 and beyond.

- David Burger"

Not much but not bad!

"NOW Magazine" (Metacritic) beats "Austin Chronicle": 1 out of 5

NOW Magazine // Music // U2

Jordan Bimm

It’s official – U2 have forgotten how to write a hook. Sadly, the band that gave us the 80s’ catchiest battle cry (Sunday Bloody Sunday) and the 90s’ best guitar solo (The Fly) has turned in yet another uninspired, piss-poor offering in the 2000s.

The problems that litter No Line fall into two categories: mind-numbing blandness on the part of the band (as heard on the seven-minute trudge Moment Of Surrender and the hook-starved lead single, Get On Your Boots) or embarrassing, face-palm-inducing vocal choices by Bono (the jarring, insane-sounding falsetto jump in I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight or the beat-poet-inspired lyrics to Breathe: “I wasn’t gonna buy just anyone’s cockatoo”).

In short, No Line is less Wild Horses, more Wild Honey. Epic fail.

Top track: No Line On The Horizon

I bet the Metacritic score is going to end up @ 65. :sigh:

And "NY Magazine" (Metacritic) hates it as well.

MOS is a love it or hate it. I guess he wouldn't like "Bad" either because he's so "hook starved." Some people, I hate to say it, have BAD TASTE!

Bad_Taste.jpg

Who uses "epic fail" in an album review? What the fuck, was this written by some college drop out? :eyebrow:

Why are only negative reviews posted in this thread? I have read about 10 positive reviews from several papers today and I don't see these here.

22 reviews with a 72 average. The Q review still hasn't been counted, but when you add that in, the average only rises by 1 measly point.

It's pretty clear most critics agree that NLOTH is an average album. It's not just pitchfork dragging it down--more than half of the reviews scored the album 70 or under. If the rumors are true, then it'll only be within the year that the fans will finally agree, since it usually takes a new album for some people to see the faults of the old one.

Absolutely incorrect. I was not fond of Bomb as an album upon first hearing it. NLOTH has been completely the opposite.

In short, you're jumping to conclusions, and it makes you look like you WANT the album to fail.

Whatever or whoever the critics and reviews say.....

IMO: NLOTH is U2's greatest album since AB.

Show me any band that have 2 masterpieces in such wide gap!!!

I agree with lastunicorn, I get Yahoo U2 news alerts and there have been a ton of local newspaper, blog and other reviews over the last few days that are pretty positive. I don't even care about the reviews at this point, I stopped caring after seeing how much better the songs are live on Letterman. These songs are gems and I'm sure they will stand the test of time and that's all that matters. Right now, they are just getting knocked because I think people overpraised the last album and they know it, heck, even the band admits it. So, this is the chance for reviewers to make up for that and even things out, IMO.

Whatever or whoever the critics and reviews say.....

IMO: NLOTH is U2's greatest album since AB.

Show me any band that have 2 masterpieces in such wide gap!!!

YOU ARE DAMN RIGHT!I dont give a damn what shitty maganizes or haters wrote about this album! Time will show us that this album is masterpiece! Even U2 haters must admit that new songs played live sound fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!

I still hope for positive hot press review, any other scores still unknown?

EDIT:
actuall found one and its 4out of five stars,

http://www.hotpress.com/music/reviews/albums//5272227.html

so when Hot Press and Q are added, we should get around 75% at metacritic I reckon

found another positive sputnikmusic(metacritic) review 4-excellent out of 5

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=29188

U2 has been around the block a time or two over the course of a long career of making music. Having started out over 30 years ago from the kitchen of their drummer Larry Mullen Jr. and having reached the highest highs of any rock band who came before or since, you wonder when this band might truly peak. In rock n roll a 30 year career will see many peaks and valleys, and U2 is no stranger to either. But three decades into their now storied history, with each release we are somehow amazed at the consistency at which they reach a new peak and avoid the valleys. And with the release of their latest album No Line On The Horizon we once again find U2 at the top of the heap and on top of their game.

Working once more with the production team of Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois, who together are responsible for pulling some of the best work out of the group over the years (The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and All That You Can't Leave behind, respectively), the album opens with the title cut, which immediately sets the tone for the rest of the album. Drowning in fuzz, reverb, and layered keyboards, No Line On The Horizon cuts a deep groove through the air while managing to rock out and create a soulful ambiance all the while. A marked departure from the opening track on U2's last release, the power chord hungry Vertigo, it sets the table nicely for the diverse musical palette to come. And it gives long time U2 listeners something to smile widely about. Which is U2 without compromise or calculation.

Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois must be given much credit for the burst of musical creativity and complex song structure which makes this new work such a rich and rewarding listening experience. Sharing songwriting credits with the band on no less then seven of the eleven tracks on the new album, it is undeniable U2 is a better band on record with this production team then without. And as if to acknowledge this fact, the album is front loaded with four songs written in collaboration with Eno and Lanois right off the bat.

And this top four pack of songs serves as the foundation of the album in much regard. Subtle, thoughtful, and without a hint of the bloated bombast found on U2's last album, instead we are treated to warm electronic ambiance, Edge's splintered and shimmering guitar work, and the steady beats and rhythms of bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen Jr. Magnificent manages to recall U2 anthems past while incorporating lush keyboards, soft electronic hand claps, and a subtle Euro disco vibe which recalls Zooropa era U2 and gets our hips shaking. The lovely seven minute junkie prayer Moment Of Surrender merges spiritually tinged lyrics of longing and desperate hope with syncopated beats, thick bass lines, Edge's moody guitar, and U2's trademark chant like backing harmonies, creating a piece which floats by you as if in a dream. And Unknown Caller, a track Edge has said is about a person who's "phone starts talking to him" while in an "altered state" of some sort, rides along atop his trademark ringing guitar and wide open vocal choruses of simple "oh oh oh's". What is interesting about this track and those which proceed it are the way they smartly unfold before the listener. Nothing is rushed, no urgency involved, they are utterly stripped of angst both musically and lyrically. These songs reveal themselves slowly to us over their duration, yet never bore us with mindless doodling or self indulgent muck. Every note, every lyric it would seem, serves its larger purpose. And nothing is put to waste.

However, as if to remind us they are still a rock band that can still, well, rock, the middle portion of this album backs away from all this goodness for more standard U2 fare as we have come to know it this past half decade. Ditching Eno and Lanois's songwriting influence and handing production and mixing duties over to Boy / October / War producer Steve Lillywhite, the band takes a foray into How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb style stadium rock. An album also produced by Lillywhite. And while their is nothing particularly wrong with these tunes (the tuneful but ordinary I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, dance rock oriented Get On Your Boots, and anthemic rocker Stand Up Comedy, respectively) they nonetheless sound inserted and out of place surrounded by tracks as subtle and deft as the Eno - Lanois collaborations. It's as if someone took off the new album and put on a set of unreleased cuts from the How To Dismantle The Atomic Bomb sessions. Not to disparage that album, it's a fine recording for what it is. However it doesn't belong here, and it shows. Their is a reason U2 stopped working exclusively with Steve Lillywhite after the early records, as good as they were. And those reasons were his limitations as producer and the creative restrictions the band felt working under them. And taken in straight doses such as this, those limitations are all too apparent. Some say U2 were a better band in the early years and wish they would return to that sound and style. Well, if that's what you think you'll love these middle tracks. For the rest of us its a case of "careful what you wish for."

This is not to say the album sinks under the weight of these middle songs. Strangely enough by albums end rather then feel we have heard an album divided in two, we are left with the impression of a recording which is in perfect balance. An album whose sum is definitely greater then its parts, No Line On The Horizon easily overcomes its shortcomings by it's overwhelming artistic vision and audacious creativity. Returning to the team of Eno and Lanois for three of the four final cuts we once again find the loveliness in the album which enveloped us earlier, and the album simply falls into perfect place. For the first minute of Fez - Being Born, the song simply drifts on a soft wave of muted far off guitar noodling, broken percussion, whirling electronic noises, and whisper quiet vocals before breaking into a soaring and melodic soundscape with accompanying vocals. And White As Snow is as lovely a ballad of mystery and innocence lost as the group has ever recorded. And as the album closes through the eyes of a man looking out onto a world at war with itself in the quietly angry eulogy Cedars Of Lebanon, we want nothing more then to listen to this album again and again to keep discovering the still unfolding mysteries it offers. It is a deeply fascinating musical work in most every way.

And through it all U2 remain very much U2. Bono's lyrics touch on his familiar themes of hope, hopelessness, redemption, addiction, joy and pain. The Edge's guitar soars, rings out, and get's loud and quiet seemingly all at once. And the rhythm section of Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. remains one of the most solid and skillful in all of music. And by opening themselves up to the empty spaces within these songs and allowing those spaces to be filled not with noisy banter or stadium rock bravado but with melodic musical subtlety, they have crafted an album on par with 1984's flawed but ambitious The Unforgettable Fire in artistic vision. However with over 20 years of experience now behind them to draw on to bring more clarity to that vision they have created a near modern masterpiece of an album most bands 30 plus years into a long career of making rock music simply aren't capable of. This should come as no surprise for long time followers of the band who have come to expect the unexpected from U2 every so often. But what does surprise is the maturity and grace with which it is executed on No Line On The Horizon. And we can only hope it is once again a new beginning for a group which has given us a few of those in the past.

and another one:

http://www.prefixmag.com/reviews/u2/no-line-on-the-horizon/24316/

7 out of 10

The release of a U2 album will always be big news, no matter how much more recognition Bono gets for his humanitarian work. For better or for worse, U2 is the 21st century equivalent of a Led Zeppelin-esque Biggest Band in the World, and every album they release is virtually guaranteed to garner multiple Grammy nominations and go platinum.

Actually, by 2009, the Grammys are a safer bet. Despite U2’s previous album, 2004’s How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, going triple platinum in the U.S., selling over 8 million copies worldwide, and garnering its very own iPod, a lot has changed in the music industry in following 5 years, not to mention in the general world economy. Lil Wayne topped album sales in 2008 with 2.8 million—a laughable number 20 years ago. U2 seems pretty invulnerable, but with acts like Usher, Ashlee Simpson, R.E.M., and—yes—Guns N’ Roses falling well short of expectations in 2008, it seems that no one’s safe. Suffice to say, the music industry has a lot banking on U2’s success with No Line on the Horizon, which comes out just in time to pad Universal’s Q2 sales margin.

Bono’s been doing his part to push the album, making bold comparisons to The Joshua Tree. Strangely, Kanye West may have done work to diversify U2’s audience, spreading unverified rumors that Will.i.am is doing some engineering work on No Line on the Horizon. Though Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois are officially listed as producers, U2’s done nothing to deny this rumor. (The more cynical amongst you will look to Kanye and U2 both being signed to Universal.)

But U2 is nothing if not dedicated to old world practices, delaying the album to make sure it’s absolutely perfect, and launching an ambitious event-based release of No Line on the Horizon with 5 different versions (CD, Vinyl, Digital, “Magazine” Style, and Hardcover, all with their special perks). It’s hard to believe that U2 would be able to return to the band’s ’80s form, but the band is certainly making their best pitch to make No Line on the Horizon seem that way. With an entire billion-dollar industry riding on their shoulders, can you blame them?

~ Ethan Stanislawski
Review
By
Jim Allen

Prefix Rating 7.0
Average Rating 7.0
Your Rating
Average rating: 7.0
Login to rate this post

When No Line on the Horizon was still in the working stages, co-producer Daniel Lanois talked a lot of smack in the press about how U2 was pursuing an unprecedented sound. We gave them the benefit of the doubt, remembering how we almost got whiplash way back when they made the breakneck stylistic changeup between Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby. Hell, we thought, those middle-aged multimillionaires might still have a surprise or two up their sleeves yet.

The bad news: Lanois seems to have gotten a little overexcited in his assessment of the band's degree of groundbreaking. There's little here that hasn't been tried in one form or another on previous U2 albums, either from their latter-day "mature" phase or from their '90s shape-shifting experimental period. If you've been hoping for some new, lemony-fresh-scent version of the Dublin rock gods, you're in for a disappointment.

The good news: The bad news doesn't really matter. Sure, "Get on Your Boots" is this year's "Vertigo" or "Elevation," with a touch of "Numb" thrown in for good measure, and there's a hint of "Walk On" in the title track. OK, maybe "Cedars of Lebanon" has got a little "Running to Stand Still" running through its veins. Get over it; these same four guys have been making music together for some 30 years now. It's not easy being the biggest band in the world, you know.

Don't you think the Beatles would have started repeating themselves if they'd remained together for half as long as U2 has? By this point, it's within their rights to utilize pieces of their past in building a new present for themselves, as long as they don't half-ass it and start turning out inferior remakes of their old tunes. That's not what's going on here, and if anything, No Line is ultimately a more visceral and memorable effort than either of the band's other two 21st century offerings.
- March 4, 2009

I think the days when U2 might have expected to have reviewers "Listen without predjudice" (sorry George) are long gone. They're so big and so enshrined within the musical and cultural landscape that most, especially in the music biz find it very hard to seperate the band from the music. I've been looking down through the metacritic reviews and they're all over the place. I mean no matter how much you might hate U2 there is no way you could give this album scores as low as some have done (imo), and had a band by any other name released this it would have been hailed at the very least as a remarkable album. No matter what U2 pull out of the hat at this stage in their career, they're releasing it into a world that's been listening to their music and to bono for almost thirty years and so even if this music is (and only time will tell) as good as JT or AB it's not going to knock the socks off the worlds musical press as it did back in the day when they were younger and their sound was still fresh and they were still very much breakthrough and cutting edge. I'd say only a small percentage of reviewers have managed to put aside their personal grievances and opinions (both positive and negative) about the band (well bono really) and just listen to the music and so whether they get a 65 or a 85 on Metacritic it won't really be a true reflection of the quality of the music. Eventually the music will clamber out from under the massive weight of critique and expectation and past legacies and find it's own feet and will have to opportunity to stand alone as the fine body of work that it is.

I think the days when U2 might have expected to have reviewers "Listen without predjudice" (sorry George) are long gone. They're so big and so enshrined within the musical and cultural landscape that most, especially in the music biz find it very hard to seperate the band from the music. I've been looking down through the metacritic reviews and they're all over the place. I mean no matter how much you might hate U2 there is no way you could give this album scores as low as some have done (imo), and had a band by any other name released this it would have been hailed at the very least as a remarkable album. No matter what U2 pull out of the hat at this stage in their career, they're releasing it into a world that's been listening to their music and to bono for almost thirty years and so even if this music is (and only time will tell) as good as JT or AB it's not going to knock the socks off the worlds musical press as it did back in the day when they were younger and their sound was still fresh and they were still very much breakthrough and cutting edge. I'd say only a small percentage of reviewers have managed to put aside their personal grievances and opinions (both positive and negative) about the band (well bono really) and just listen to the music and so whether they get a 65 or a 85 on Metacritic it won't really be a true reflection of the quality of the music. Eventually the music will clamber out from under the massive weight of critique and expectation and past legacies and find it's own feet and will have to opportunity to stand alone as the fine body of work that it is.

I've come to the conclusion that even if NLOTH was the best album in the history of all music everywhere, reviewers would still find ways to pan it because of the history of U2. It's just not possible to get another AB or JT because the context of rock, U2, and music in general is different. People these days assume they hate everything first, then must be proven otherwise. The general cynicism and hate in people today only allow for one-off pop throwaway tracks to be "good" because they can be easily digested and spit out without any need for thought, concentration, or appreciation.

I certainly put NLOTH at the same level as AB.

I've come to the conclusion that even if NLOTH was the best album in the history of all music everywhere, reviewers would still find ways to pan it because of the history of U2. It's just not possible to get another AB or JT because the context of rock, U2, and music in general is different. People these days assume they hate everything first, then must be proven otherwise. The general cynicism and hate in people today only allow for one-off pop throwaway tracks to be "good" because they can be easily digested and spit out without any need for thought, concentration, or appreciation.

I certainly put NLOTH at the same level as AB.

Good post :up:

Why is it that some of these critics can't get over "reboot yourself" yet the same critics worship "ok computer" :huh:

Why is it that some of these critics can't get over "reboot yourself" yet the same critics worship "ok computer" :huh:

What's with the resentment over OK Computer? It's universally recognized as being a landmark masterpiece. Besides, OK Computer is just a title of an album, not some cheesy lyric. Maybe you should compare "reboot yourself" to the lyrics of "Fitter Happier", but even then your point wouldn't be any more valid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom