NHL: Lets make a deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael Griffiths said:
What if Cujo *wanted* to go to Colorado? Remember, he has the no trade clause...and therefore the power :wink:

Not only that, but I think they owe him that much at least (to consider his preferences), given how poorly they've treated him in this situation.

id say paying his salary and putting him in the minors is about a good option to detroit as shipping him to their rival-either of them. thats an exaggeration but running the risk of proivding the solution to their rivals goaltending woes is too much to take.

clarke has greater incentive to get him than either vancouver or colorado anyway. i dont think cujo neccessarily enjoyed playing in haseks shadow this season. though roy didn't have nearly the exit season hasek did, going to colorado is a non-option.

he wanted philly before he signed with toronto..i think thats where he'll end up

kobayashi said:
id say paying his salary and putting him in the minors is about a good option to detroit as shipping him to their rival-either of them. thats an exaggeration but running the risk of proivding the solution to their rivals goaltending woes is too much to take.

clarke has greater incentive to get him than either vancouver or colorado anyway. i dont think cujo neccessarily enjoyed playing in haseks shadow this season. though roy didn't have nearly the exit season hasek did, going to colorado is a non-option.

he wanted philly before he signed with toronto..i think thats where he'll end up

I agree. But, if Jagr signs with the Broadway Blue Shirts... New York's situation might be tempting as well.

It's either Philly or NY.

As a fan, I must admit it would be cool for him to return to Canada... even if it would be with the Canucks. But it's not going to happen.

Kobayashi is right. For once.

:sexywink:

Yes.

Yes it is.

Based on trades and such so far... who do you guys think is best equipped to win the cup next year.

Your predictions are legally binding.

And final.

1. senators
2. wings (with hasek, yzerman and federov)
3. new jersey
4. the rest probably in this order: avs, canucks, flyers (with some goalie of substance whether its cujo, hackett etc.), leafs, NYR, st louis, and theres probably a few contender/pretenders that im forgetting.

Do you think the Senators have been motivated by the passing of Roger Neilson, or do you think it has any bearing on their performance next season?

I love Fedorov.

He's my sugar daddy.

Wait, he's yours too?... sheesh, if only he could score more often ON the ice.

Last edited:
cujo said:
Yes.

Yes it is.

Based on trades and such so far... who do you guys think is best equipped to win the cup next year.

Your predictions are legally binding.

And final.

"Best equipped" is different than who I think is going to win, as some teams have a miserable time in the playoffs regardless of potential *cough*Ottawa*cough...that said, here you go:

1. Ottawa - they're still young, but now have much more experience after going quite far this playoffs...Spezza will be more of a force, too.

2. Detroit - with Hasek returning, and if they sign Fedorov, they are still the most talented group in the game...and with all that experience...

3. Vancouver - assuming of course they get a decent 2nd line centre (Prospel? Whitney?) to take the pressure off the Morrison line. The twins are about to come into their own...and young Branden Reid will add fire to the mix. Their payroll has increased to 41 million from 36 million last season. Burke has been quoted as saying now is the time to go for [a Cup], not 5 years from now. This tells me the off season will be quite interesting in Van City.

4. Colorado - if they get Cujo or someone as good, they will continue to be a big time threat. Forsberg hasn't left. Sakic hasn't left. Hejduk hasn't left. Blake hasn't left. They are still a force.

I don't like Philly or NJ...so let's not talke about them :wink:

Last edited:
So, it turns out that Kariya could become an unrestricted free agent by midnight, tonight, if Anaheim doesn't make a qualifying offer (they want him to take a paycut). Do you all know what this means? Kariya is coming home, back to Vancouver! Haha, talk about taking pressure off the #1 line! Can you imagine that powerplay? Bertuzzi, Naslund, Kariya, Jovo, and Ohlund??? This would be amazing if it happened. :wink:

Oh, and Detroit has exercised the option on Hasek's contract. This is the first step in signing him, as it prevents him from becoming an unrestricted free agent.

detroit doesnt have to sign hasek. they just have to pick up the club option on him. they can refuse to pick up the option and then he would be a free agent...i think. i cant remember when the deadline is for that tho.

isn't kariya restricted? he'd cost anyone signing him a bunch of draft picks right?

Re: Hasek, yes, he would have become unrestricted by midnight tonight if they had not picked up the club option.

Re: Kariya, he would be an unrestristred free agent should Anaheim fail to give him a qualifying offer. The deadline is also midnight, tonight.

This is according to both sportsnet and tsn. Here's TSN's article (the Kariya component is in bold at the end):

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=45889&hubName=nhl

Ducks decline option, cut Oates loose

TSN.ca Staff

6/30/2003

TSN.CA - Fresh off an appearance in last season's Stanley Cup Final, the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim are facing some difficult budget choices, and have started making some hard decisions.

TSN has learned that the Ducks have declined to pick up the option they held on Adam Oates' contract, making the veteran centre an unrestricted free agent. Oates, who will turn 41 in late July, was scheduled to make $3.5 million in the upcoming season.

Anaheim G.M. Bryan Murray had earlier offered Oates $2.2 million, but that offer was rejected.

Last season, Oates had nine goals and 45 points in 67 games with the Ducks. He added four goals and 13 points in 21 playoff games and was one of the team's top producers as Anaheim reached the Stanley Cup Final.

In 1,277 NHL games, Oates has 339 goals and 1,402 points.

The most pressing issue for the Ducks regards captain Paul Kariya, and the question of whether or not to give him a qualifying offer. Murray has spoken with Karyia's agent Don Baizley about a multi-year deal at a much lower salary than the $10 million the winger has been making for the last several seasons.

In order to retain Kariya's rights, Anaheim would have to submit a qualifying offer by midnight tonight of $10 million. If it doesn't, Kariya would become an unrestricted free agent.

Last season, Kariya scored 25 goals and 81 points in 82 games. He scored six goals and 12 points in the Ducks' playoff run.

Kariya has played 606 NHL games, scoring 300 goals and 669 points. The fourth overall pick in 1993, Kariya has played his entire career with the Ducks.

Last edited:
thanks MG
for the ducks, those numbers dont make sense. hes a good player, with ok numbers and a lot of potential upside though. too bad they wont get anything for him if they cant get a deal done, but he did help them through a playoff run...though he wasnt as good as he could be until game 6 really.

do you think game 6 will land him another big contract in spite of his mediocre numbers?

kariya is free to roam the earth

so who signs kariya? NYR?
his style definitely fits in better in the west.

Michael Griffiths said:

4. Colorado - if they get Cujo or someone as good, they will continue to be a big time threat. Forsberg hasn't left. Sakic hasn't left. Hejduk hasn't left. Blake hasn't left. They are still a force.

And this is the last contract year for Blake, Sakic and Forsberg...who knows who might be playing their last season in Colorado?

The Avs play very well when it comes to emotional value like that...remember Bourque!

kobayashi said:
kariya is free to roam the earth

so who signs kariya? NYR?
his style definitely fits in better in the west.
This is soooo awesome!!! Kariya is coming back home. He's alwasy wanted to play for the Vancouver Canucks, ever since he was a boy growing up! This is a dream come true. :wink:

The Canucks should just sign him already. Burke has an extra few million to play with since the dramatic payroll increase, as well as from the extra money made from the rise of the Canadian dollar. If they let Klatt, Baron (and now Letowski) go, they can afford Kariya!!! :yes:

AvsGirl41 said:

And this is the last contract year for Blake, Sakic and Forsberg...who knows who might be playing their last season in Colorado?

The Avs play very well when it comes to emotional value like that...remember Bourque!
Did they actually say they wouldn't continue after this contract? For the Avs sake, let's hope they do! Of course, the Canucks would fair better in the West if they didn't ;)

The Bruins have re-signed PJ Stock to a 2 yr extension.

*sigh* I mean, I love Stock and all, but DUDE! O'Connell? Sinden? Jacobs? YOU NEED A GOALIE! The last decent goalie who played in Boston during his prime...I wasn't even alive then! I mean, I know Plante was there in the 70's, but he was like 50 or something. Cheevers, I guess. CHEEVERS! Did you hear that!? CHEEVERS!!! You have lost a GENERATION of fans, here, dammit!!! I disown you!

how about those calgary flames, eh?

Bbug - way too funny! :lmao:

Cheevers was absolutely hilarious. Is Harry Sinden still the GM in Boston? That guy is the biggest loser, sorry to say. Boston has to get rid of him, if he's still there.

sinden is still GM. why's he a loser tho?
andy moog played well the year he went up against ranford with the oilers in the final...im pretty sure that was moog

Michael Griffiths said:

Did they actually say they wouldn't continue after this contract? For the Avs sake, let's hope they do! Of course, the Canucks would fair better in the West if they didn't ;)

Blake has made comments to the effect that he will retire when his contract is up--his back is in bad shape and he has Blueline making him money. But he's egotistical and has always struck me as the kind of player who won't know when to quit.

Sakic has made some vague comments, but I could see him signing another three-year contract as easily as I can see him leaving. I honestly thought Sakic, Blake and Roy would all retire together since they made a point of signing together.

Foppa is an odd duck. I don't know what's up with him...yes, I want to end my career in Sweden, no I never said that, yes I did I'm tired of the NHL, no, I love the NHL...and so on.

I don't care about Blake, but when Sakic and Forsberg go it will be the end of an era and probably the end of the Avs. :(

kobayashi's right about Moog, he was good...though I honestly can't remember that Finals. Is that the one where the lights went out or something and game got all postponed? I think maybe God is punishing all of New England for dropping its r's and overfishing the lobster by orchestrating the constant and ridiculous defeat of the B's and the Red Sox. We'll all just have to enunciate and start farming lobsters...

Technically though Sinden's not GM anymore...he's like President or something. Although he is widely suspected of being the power behind the throne, or whatever it is that the Bruins' GM sits on. (My guess: Forby stool from Ikea. Now only $4.95!)

AvsGirl, :hug: Colorado fans demand success and the management is serious about wanting to win. You ain't got nuthin to do no worryin' about.

It's almost 2 am...

Michael Griffiths said:
Oh, and Detroit has exercised the option on Hasek's contract. This is the first step in signing him, as it prevents him from becoming an unrestricted free agent.

That means nothing. If you were a business person, you'd realize that it's much better to get compensated through trade than lose a player for free. A lot of teams did it last year, where the rights of a player were traded... so that in the event said player signs with another team, compensation is paid to the club. You might remember last year that Cujo was actually a memeber of the Calgary Flames for 4 hours. Oh what hope this city had.

It's gone now, just so you know.

PS- Bbug, that was funny. If you were trying to offend me it didn't work. I loathe the Flames.

:sexywink:

As for Kariya... is he a Group 2, or Group 3 unrestricted? Because if he has a choice to go somewhere that makes all the difference.

cujo said:

As for Kariya... is he a Group 2, or Group 3 unrestricted? Because if he has a choice to go somewhere that makes all the difference.
He *was* a Group 2 free agent (meaning he was restricted)...but because Anaheim did not make him a qualifying offer he has now become an unrestricted free agent. Ah, the beauty of it all. :sexywink:

various toronto media outlets already have jagr, federov and kariya either showing an interest in the leafs or the leafs showing an interest in them.
:slant:
NYR is about to send lindros packing.
if someone wanted to spend the money this summer, they could build a great paper team. its not worth the risk however as these playoffs past proved.

Bbug said:
I think maybe God is punishing all of New England for dropping its r's and overfishing the lobster by orchestrating the constant and ridiculous defeat of the B's and the Red Sox. We'll all just have to enunciate and start farming lobsters...

Technically though Sinden's not GM anymore...he's like President or something. Although he is widely suspected of being the power behind the throne, or whatever it is that the Bruins' GM sits on. (My guess: Forby stool from Ikea. Now only $4.95!)

I agree with the R's!

And good selection with the Forby!!!!! :up:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom