NFL 2007, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, that Patriots game was fun to watch last night! They look about as good as I've ever seen them right now.

As opposed to the Seahawks game. Botched handoff with tie game late leads to fumble allowing the Cardinals to recover and score a game-winning field goal. That hurts.

Yeah I didn't see that game and saw that score during the Pats game and was really surprised.

Brady's passing yards total is going to sky rocket with this new receiving team, particularly with the addition of Moss which didn't cost the team very much because no one wanted him.

phanan said:

Well, I wouldn't go that far, not with the Colts out there.

Everyone knows it's going to come down to the two of them again.

I am not so sure that the Colts have what it takes this year to compete with the Pats.

powerhour24 said:
Scheduling is chosen randomly my ass, the NFL keeps matching them up every season to create ratings and revenue.
Actually, unlike at CTU there is an exact formula to scheduluing in the NFL. If you win your division, you will play the other 3 division winners in your conference the following year (likewise if you finish 2nd, you play the 3 2nd place teams etc.), and since the Pats and Colts have bothe won their divisions for several years running, they continue to play each other.

Along with this you get 6 games within your division, 4 interconference games (rotating divisons every 4 yrs), and 3 other games within your own conference against the remaining 3 teams in one division which rotates every 3 years (this year the Pats get the AFC North, so in addition to 1st place Baltimore they play Pitt, Cinn and Cle).

So its not set up by anything other than a very logical formula which provides the best possible balance to sheduling based on previous year's results and a rotation to guarantee playing each conference team at least once every 3 yrs and each interconference team every 4.

zoney! said:

I am not so sure that the Colts have what it takes this year to compete with the Pats.
Its also 2 weeks in, they don't play the Super Bowl in September, so any declaration of a champion right now is incredibly premature.

I think as the season progresses, the whomping of the Jets will become less impressive as they stumble to a 3 or 4 win season, and from what I've seen to date, SD is not gonna be nearly as powerful this year as compared to last. Rivers looks befuddled, defenses will follow what the Bears and Pats have done and stack 8 or 9 in the box, taking classy LT out of the game plan, and until any SD WR can prove his mettle, you'll only have to worry about Gates as a downfield threat.

For all his playoff failure, Marty is 10x the head coach Norv is, so I think this version of th SuperChargers may have peaked in December 2006.

If you do power rankings, certainly the Pats are #1 today, but it means little to nothing come January/February.

If the Eagles lose tonight, it could be the first indicator of the end of the Andy Reid era.

phillyfan26 said:
If the Eagles lose tonight, it could be the first indicator of the end of the Andy Reid era.

Not that I think Andy Reid is a great coach by any means, but to make this statement after a 0-2 start seems kinda silly.

Andy Reid is a fucking moron. Joe Gibbs goes for the field goal with 14 seconds after he gets a delay of game and false start penalty, realizing his offense is disorganized. Then Andy calls timeout with the field goal unit on to freeze the kicker, only that allows Gibbs enough time to re-organize his offense.

Hewson said:
Actually, unlike at CTU there is an exact formula to scheduluing in the NFL. If you win your division, you will play the other 3 division winners in your conference the following year (likewise if you finish 2nd, you play the 3 2nd place teams etc.), and since the Pats and Colts have bothe won their divisions for several years running, they continue to play each other.

Along with this you get 6 games within your division, 4 interconference games (rotating divisons every 4 yrs), and 3 other games within your own conference against the remaining 3 teams in one division which rotates every 3 years (this year the Pats get the AFC North, so in addition to 1st place Baltimore they play Pitt, Cinn and Cle).

So its not set up by anything other than a very logical formula which provides the best possible balance to sheduling based on previous year's results and a rotation to guarantee playing each conference team at least once every 3 yrs and each interconference team every 4.

I have always liked how the NFL does their scheduling!

You even know for next year the teams they are going to play home and away minus the conference champions. In fact, that is the only suprise in the scheduling.

it stops people from saying "the NFL schedules this purposely for ratings."

:wink:

The other thing about the NFL schedule is that because the top teams get harder schedules, it takes a really, really strong team to make the playoffs several years in a row. The weaker playoff teams typically get bounced the following year and replaced by others.

Last edited:
Great game, Philly. We all have some things to work on. We were the better team tonight though. :D

Hi guys. S'pose I'm the lone Packers fan around? I know it's too early for the record to really mean anything, but I'm just excited at them starting 2-0 for the first time in six years. :-D

Meaningless question for you Eagles peeps: didn't McNabb use to have a lot of hair? When'd he shave that off?

speedracer said:

Not that I think Andy Reid is a great coach by any means, but to make this statement after a 0-2 start seems kinda silly.

After watching an icing-the-kicker attempt turn into a TD, I think I may have to eat these words.

rosephile said:
Meaningless question for you Eagles peeps: didn't McNabb use to have a lot of hair? When'd he shave that off?

He stopped denying he was balding.

Looks like Mangini is gonna be getting it from other coaches for being a rat canary:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/printedition/2007/09/18/newnflnotes0918.html

NFL REPORT: Billick says Jets cheated

Associated Press

Published on: 09/18/07

Ravens coach Brian Billick accused the New York Jets of using an "illegal" ploy to draw Baltimore offside during Sunday's game.

Billick said Monday that the Jets defense shouted out signals to intentionally throw off the Baltimore offense. Billick claimed the tactic led to the three illegal procedure penalties against the Ravens.

"They did an outstanding job. I credit the New York Jets. Their defensive line and linebackers did a very, very effective job of illegally simulating the snap count," Billick said. "They did it the whole game long. It needs to be caught."

Tackle Adam Terry bolted offside in the first and third quarters. Tight end Quinn Sypniewski jumped in the first quarter.

"That's not an excuse by any stretch of the imagination. But it is illegal," Billick said. "Our guys have to deal with it. I don't know how to help my linemen with that, because you're in the heat of battle and you're calling the snap count, and the guy across from you is also calling a snap count —- which is illegal."

The Ravens won the game 20-13. Baltimore took a 20-3 lead into the fourth quarter but nearly wilted under a comeback by the Jets, who benefited from four fourth-quarter penalties against Baltimore.

For the game, New York received two penalties for 10 yards and the Ravens were penalized 11 times for 100 yards.

Belichick OK with league requests

The NFL may soon find out if the New England Patriots' video spying went beyond one game, and the team itself may provide the evidence.

Coach Bill Belichick said Monday he will comply with the NFL's request to provide any notes or tapes made from video recordings similar to those that drew a stiff penalty against him and the team.

"Of course," he said.

Beyond that, Belichick declined comment when asked about commissioner Roger Goodell's request.

phanan said:

You think that's a strong 2-0 team?
Their defense is much better than Dallas'.

I think neither is a strong 2-0 team. I think GB is not a strong 2-0 team.

I don't see the 'Boyz running away and hiding, I think they'll be around 10-6, and Washington right with them.
Frankly the most impressive win of the 4 by Dal ans Was was the Skins win last night in Philly.

A bit of both I imagine. By no means would I deem the Skins a powerhouse, but I think they have a solid defense, a controlled offense, and good coaching. I see them hanging with Dallas, who's 2 wins were more sexy cause they put lots of points up, but their defense is very suspect.

ET said:
after watching last night I vote Eagles sucked....it's a shame...

They certainly did last night. If they don't beat Detroit next week, season's over.

At least I'll have the Phillies to watch in October. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom