Next Album Rumours Thread V - Your Song Ruined My Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stuff like Bono saying he 'cringes' at U2 songs just comes over as faux-humility and a self-conscious PR exercise.

I do wish he'd stop doing that. If U2 want to be seen as more humble, they need to make themselves more accessible - do interviews with someone other than multi-billionaires like Oprah and chat via new media outlets (go on a podcast nobody would expect you to - heck even Paul McCartney went on Adam Buxton last year), provide live bootleg releases for free like Springsteen, stop making everyone pay for every utterance you say (Sirius).

It ain't just their bland MOR music of today that is off putting. U2's pompous attitude in being so 'exclusive' is what puts people off them. A band so desperate to be relevant yet refuse to engage in a more accessible way. Bizarre attitude.

Cash is king I suppose, the overriding factor that has made them creatively bankrupt sadly.

i mean... this quote was from a podcast with a random podcast for the Hollywood Reporter. But sure... Oprah.

i mean... this quote was from a podcast with a random podcast for the Hollywood Reporter. But sure... Oprah.

Come on! Hollywood Reporter is pretty elite, Bono would probably be demanding something like £1 million to be interviewed for a DIY podcast like Adam Buxtons for example.

Come on! Hollywood Reporter is pretty elite, Bono would probably be demanding something like £1 million to be interviewed for a DIY podcast like Adam Buxtons for example.

Yeah, remember how much they commanded for their appearance are “Are You Talking U2 To Me?”?

Whatever... one U2 podcast with a famous actor doesn’t disprove that point. The point still stands that they are an act that comes with a price and ‘off limits’ to much of new media. If a legend like Macca makes himself fashionable to such trends for free (heck, he did an hour long YouTube specials for booksellers revelry) then there’s no excuse for U2.

Their image of being incredibly aloof is there for a reason.

Whatever... one U2 podcast with a famous actor doesn’t disprove that point. The point still stands that they are an act that comes with a price and ‘off limits’ to much of new media. If a legend like Macca makes himself fashionable to such trends for free (heck, he did an hour long YouTube specials for booksellers revelry) then there’s no excuse for U2.

the majority of your posts complain endlessly about how the band chases radio hits with modern trendy a-list producers, and now you're complaining that they aren't chasing trends with free podcast appearances. lol

SIt ain't just their bland MOR music of today that is off putting. U2's pompous attitude in being so 'exclusive' is what puts people off them. A band so desperate to be relevant yet refuse to engage in a more accessible way. Bizarre attitude.

If the music is good enough, people will listen to it and generally, they'll find it.

The only thing that puts "people" off U2, or admitting they like U2 is Bono. Its always been the same for as long as they've been a proper success, but social media gives those people a chance to remind us just how much they hate him at every possible opportunity.

It will be about tax avoidance or his charity work (cos you know, he should just donate all his wealth and that would fix everything), but regardless of their music, he's the one constant who divides people. Always has been, always will.

People generally don't get paid to do podcasts, just like they don't get paid to be interviewed by a magazine or the news. U2 aren't out of reach to anyone, they just do what they want to do. That's why they were on an absurdist comedy podcast that's 90 percent dick jokes.

McCartney's YouTube thing was probably contractually obligated promo for Lyrics.

People generally don't get paid to do podcasts, just like they don't get paid to be interviewed by a magazine or the news. U2 aren't out of reach to anyone, they just do what they want to do. That's why they were on an absurdist comedy podcast that's 90 percent dick jokes.

McCartney's YouTube thing was probably contractually obligated promo for Lyrics.

Things like the Sirius stuff for example, a lot of that could be made easily accessible. But only hardcore fans are going to pay for that.

If you listen to The Edge chatting to Brian Eno, someone not well versed with U2 would come away impressed by how thoughtful he comes across, especially regarding his style of play. It's a wasted opportunity in my view.

Things like the Sirius stuff for example, a lot of that could be made easily accessible. But only hardcore fans are going to pay for that.

If you listen to The Edge chatting to Brian Eno, someone not well versed with U2 would come away impressed by how thoughtful he comes across, especially regarding his style of play. It's a wasted opportunity in my view.

there are 34 million subscribers to sirius xm.

I don't think that people not being well versed in U2 is a problem. They've been fantastically famous for 35 years. I agree that the Sirius stuff should be readily available to non-subscribers - Edge's show should just be a podcast - but it's not like people are starved for U2 information or interviews. I think a major issue people have with them is that they're EVERYWHERE when they put out a new album.

Edge has done countless interviews over the last 40 years though, and a lot of them have been about his playing. He'll probably do an interview with Guitar World next time they put out an album.
He was on Tom Morello's podcast in the fall, and it was pretty good. Adam was on the Rockonteurs podcast and it was excellent.

I'm a bit surprised Edge hasn't been on WTF because Marc Maron likes U2, loves talking about guitar stuff, and they both live in LA. Lanois was on; maybe he'll tip Edge off. I think the main reason they don't do more podcasts is because they're pretty private people. I half expect Bono to be on WTF when his book comes out, and he'll probably bring the Scotts out of retirement for another ep of U Talkin U2 To Me?

https://www.u2songs.com/news/the_crystal_ball_a_look_forward

Always trust their crystal ball. These folks are well connected

U2 are currently working on two albums, one of older material reinvented and one of new material. Bob Ezrin may be involved in some sort of production capacity, but that one seems like a stretch to me.

The first we will get later this year will be re-recordings of songs from throughout their back catalog. These are being re-recorded by the band and are not just remixes of older recordings. The album will feature a mix of acoustic recordings and other non-acoustic reinventions. The band has been working in studio on these for some time, and we expect to see them later this year.

The band are also working on new material in studio for a new album, with current plans to try to release that material in early 2023. The album will pick up work done while touring in 2019 on a new album. Adam Clayton referring to this new album shared, “I will just say that some of the tracks fill us with pride.”

Last edited:
Always nice to get some news, thanks for sharing Registered Dude :up:

That's pretty great that they're aiming for early 2023 rather than late. To think, we might only be about a year away from new music!

Having said that, I'd be astonished if that timeline wasn't pushed back. I mean, if they're spending the bulk of this year working on re-recording/reimagining old songs, I don't see how they'd even have time to complete new material, especially with all that pressure that comes from 'the next big U2 album'.

I'm actually somewhat intrigued by the re-recording of old material. I know many will scoff at it here but you never know, might get a couple of neat tracks. Just hopefully they don't butcher anything from the 90's. And if it's a true reinvention, it would be cool to get different arrangements. Like tweak some lesser known tracks from War or October.

As far a new album, if we're hearing early 2023, of course it won't be until late 2023 earliest, just to temper expectations.

I'm actually somewhat intrigued by the re-recording of old material. I know many will scoff at it here but you never know, might get a couple of neat tracks.

That's about what I'm hoping for, and maybe will be pleasantly surprised. I'm less looking forward to the lead-up and marketing of it, though. Maybe it'll be a fun, off-the-cuff release and they try to make it something like a "revisionist" Greatest Hits package of some sort.

I'm actually somewhat intrigued by the re-recording of old material. I know many will scoff at it here but you never know, might get a couple of neat tracks. Just hopefully they don't butcher anything from the 90's. And if it's a true reinvention, it would be cool to get different arrangements. Like tweak some lesser known tracks from War or October.

As far a new album, if we're hearing early 2023, of course it won't be until late 2023 earliest, just to temper expectations.

I agree about the lesser known tracks, but I'm skeptical. I feel like they would stick with the older hits. Please Please no WOWY or Still Haven't... Or Pride or SBS. Please.

Would be cool to hear something like Wire, The Unforgettable Fire, Drowning Man, Fire, Gloria...

But my guess is they will go with at least farely well known stuff, cause the general public isn't going to care about remakes of songs they don't know of in the first place.

Wish we would get some more info than that Adam quote on the new stuff.....

Def need some more juice from Adam. Recording without a purpose and being filled with pride regarding new material... I can't help but let those quotes give me a bit of hope.

If they're actually going to continue with stuff started in 2019 (which... why didn't they finish that during lockdown and release it already, jfc), I hope that ultimately the end result feels like a documentation of one record being made start to finish, as opposed to parts compiled from different iterations with assorted writers, producers, players.

I agree about the lesser known tracks, but I'm skeptical. I feel like they would stick with the older hits. Please Please no WOWY or Still Haven't... Or Pride or SBS. Please.

Would be cool to hear something like Wire, The Unforgettable Fire, Drowning Man, Fire, Gloria...

But my guess is they will go with at least farely well known stuff, cause the general public isn't going to care about remakes of songs they don't know of in the first place.

Wish we would get some more info than that Adam quote on the new stuff.....

I think it will be somewhere in the middle. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a few of their bigger hits remade. And probably a single will be released using a remade version of a recognizable hit. Like an orchestra version of All I Want Is You or something ala that. But it could be cool to see some lesser known tracks get some love.

I think the band re-doing Red Hill Mining town for the JT anniversary tour was what they’re aiming for in general - putting some songs in a context that will allow the band to continue to - or start to- play them live going forward. Bono has mentioned his voice being strained into his 60’s.

It’s a way to release a greatest hits album when you’ve already released a greatest hits album.

It’s also some damage control.

Maybe it will be good.

It worries me. It's like someone trying to remake classic movies. Has a reboot of a TV show ever been an improvement? I mean, how do you mess with One? or WOWY? Hoping its a mix of well known and not well known.

I mean, I don't even like hearing the subtle remixes of 90's stuff on the Best of 1990 to 2000

It worries me. It's like someone trying to remake classic movies. Has a reboot of a TV show ever been an improvement? I mean, how do you mess with One? or WOWY? Hoping its a mix of well known and not well known.

I mean, I don't even like hearing the subtle remixes of 90's stuff on the Best of 1990 to 2000

Ask George Lucas.

When is a Greatest Hits Tour not a Greatest Hits Tour? When it’s an “Old Things New” tour! They’re apparently incapable of communicating the idea of “pairs of different shows,” so either:
A) tour a relatively laid back arena hits package with preview of the new stuff (JT30 on a smaller scale) b/c the new stuff will probably be delayed. The presentation is the production (acoustic, horns, strings, etc.).
B) the new stuff is ready close enough to sell a tour of both. ~22 songs. Act 1 is the new stuff in a relevant presentation along some warhorses and deep cuts (8-10 songs); Act 2 is HITS (10-12 songs).

Re-recorded Hits album holiday 2022

New album Spring 2023

2023 Tour features some OTHER in-the-round-hybrid-all-incusive-no-bad-views stage where they also figure out how to make good on that aborted orchestral element of I+E, that they then use to feature during acoustic b-stage portion of the show. Larry plays an even smaller kit, if at all.

2025 it is.

Also, Bob Ezrin?

XJC7.gif

:up:

Always good to hear NEW U2 music news! And of course a tour. I figured 2022 tour would not be in the cards.

Back
Top Bottom