Next Album Rumours Thread IV - 2 Sing 2 Furious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd say Nevermind is comparable critically and commercially, and is what tends to contend for the top spot on these lists.

I mean, sure. I get it. Totally fair.

I also feel there’s a sense that it hasn’t maybe aged as well? But that could be all in my head. And that, as opposed to being timeless, Nevermind is very much of a specific time and moment.

I hung out with friends over the weekend who have children. These youths didn’t know who Kurt Cobain was.

And this is in Seattle.

I mean, sure. I get it. Totally fair.

I also feel there’s a sense that it hasn’t maybe aged as well? But that could be all in my head. And that, as opposed to being timeless, Nevermind is very much of a specific time and moment.

I hung out with friends over the weekend who have children. These youths didn’t know who Kurt Cobain was.

And this is in Seattle.

that's because the drummer went and formed a better band.

yea, i said it.

Achtung Baby is a great album but I don’t think it sounds timeless. It definitely sounds like it’s from the era it came out in. That’s not a knock on the album at all.

Foo Fighters gave us Everlong and I'll always appreciate them for that. That song is fucking incredible.

But very good singles artist though they may be, they'll never have an album I enjoy as much from front to back as In Utero or the MTV Unplugged set.

Achtung Baby is a great album but I don’t think it sounds timeless. It definitely sounds like it’s from the era it came out in. That’s not a knock on the album at all.

hmmmm... Not sure if I agree here. I kinda get where you're coming from. But just imagine that album coming out now. What songs would feel "dated"? I actually think it would still feel ahead of it's time now, 30 years later...

If someone asked me on first listen what decade Achtung Baby was recorded in, I would have said the 90s for sure. Maybe 1994 or something. There's a really cheesy synthesized orchestra hit during the solo of Mysterious Ways that immediately dates that song. But compared to much of what came out between 1990 and 1992, it sounds remarkably fresh. Eno and Lanois did a hell of a job.

hmmmm... Not sure if I agree here. I kinda get where you're coming from. But just imagine that album coming out now. What songs would feel "dated"? I actually think it would still feel ahead of it's time now, 30 years later...

All of it. I could pick apart specific examples but I’d be here all night. But I’ll give just a few off the top of my head. The synth on Zoo Station. The beat and organ on Trying To Throw.... As LM mentioned, the orchestral hits on Mysterious Ways. Lots of guitar tone and drum production that’s very 90s all across the album.

I love it, but if it came out as something new I’d say the producers really captured a 90s sound.

Foo Fighters gave us Everlong and I'll always appreciate them for that. That song is fucking incredible.

But very good singles artist though they may be, they'll never have an album I enjoy as much from front to back as In Utero or the MTV Unplugged set.

I'd definitely suggest Wasting Light. That album is in my top 5-10 albums of all time. Their finest effort and strong front to back.

i don't think it should surprise anyone that a guy who goes Pearl Jam over Nirvana would also go Foo Fighters over Nirvana.

My gripe with Nirvana has actually always been Kurt Cobain. I know that's sacrilegious to many, but other than being a great lyricist, I just never thought his musical talent, especially on guitar, held a candle to other Seattle bands like Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, or Soundgarden. I prefer those bands much more.

My gripe with Nirvana has actually always been Kurt Cobain. I know that's sacrilegious to many, but other than being a great lyricist, I just never thought his musical talent, especially on guitar, held a candle to other Seattle bands like Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, or Soundgarden. I prefer those bands much more.

agreed wholeheartedly. when i look at eddie vedder's lyrics, even a young eddie, and then i look at cobain's? man - eddie's are just better.

kurt tapped into the teenage angst better, whereas the accessibility of pearl jam's music made it easier for them to slip into the mainstream - but, yea.

i think Nirvana would have fallen off even if Kurt lived.

Last edited:
agreed wholeheartedly. when i look at eddie vedder's lyrics, even a young eddie, and then i look at cobain's? man - eddie's are just better.

kurt taped into the teenage angst better, whereas the accessibility of pearl jam's music made it easier for them to slip into the mainstream - but, yea.

i think Nirvana would have fallen off even if Kurt lived.

They would have had to evolve their sound for sure, and I'm not sure what direction they could have really gone due to Kurt's lack of musical talent.

That's why to your earlier point, Foo Fighters is such a gift to come out of a tragedy.

They would have had to evolve their sound for sure, and I'm not sure what direction they could have really gone due to Kurt's lack of musical talent.

That's why to your earlier point, Foo Fighters is such a gift to come out of a tragedy.
Indeed.

Ultimately I think there would have been a divide over the direction of the band, specifically because the most talented member of the band was the late addition behind the drum set. i think there was already some infighting over royalties and songwriting credits even during nevermind.

Last edited:

attachment.php

As did I. Must've been a few feet apart, I managed to sit on the stage steps.

Back
Top Bottom