Next Album Rumours Thread II - Songs of Ass Scent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like that plan. They need to write together. That's where the magic is.

What does Edge even do any more? I watched an amazing Rig Rundown where Dallas Schoo went through his live set up and it was awe inspiring to Edge's dedication to perfection. Then I listened to SOE...the guitars are unimpressive, to say the least. They're usually not interesting and are sonically bland. And 10 songs have additional guitar playing. Almost every song has additional keyboards and programming, and some songs have as many as 5 extra players. Does Edge do anything?

They've obviously relied on producers to provide music for a long time but the amount they're credited on SOE is astounding.

Last edited:
We’re not going to get an album with Rick Rubin as that was a bit of a train wreck idea, so I’m thinking the best we can hope for would be another with Eno & Lanois where they stick to the courage of their convictions from start to finish.

Actually, what I think would be best would be sessions with Eno & Lanois where they have some agreed outcomes - i.e. an EP or single release every 4 weeks for a few months or an album by the end of 6 months, then another one in 6 months. I’m sure that’s the sort of thing Eno would sign up to and could give some interesting results.

They need to never release an album named "Songs Of..." again.

:up::up::up::up::up:

There were some good songs on the last 2 albums, but I cannot agree more. I am more forgiving on the experimental side of U2, but many songs on those albums did nothing for me. They didn't grow on me, they didn't have that big single to push the album, they didn't have great album tracks. At least NLOTH had MOS as that great album track (and arguably there were a few others) and they had two songs at least crack the Hot 100 in the U.S. In other words, they had a few hits and they had a solid album. Not quite sure I can say that about the "Songs Of..." albums. Again, some great songs are in them, but as albums - eh. And that's very tough for me to write.

:up::up::up::up::up:

There were some good songs on the last 2 albums, but I cannot agree more. I am more forgiving on the experimental side of U2, but many songs on those albums did nothing for me. They didn't grow on me, they didn't have that big single to push the album, they didn't have great album tracks. At least NLOTH had MOS as that great album track (and arguably there were a few others) and they had two songs at least crack the Hot 100 in the U.S. In other words, they had a few hits and they had a solid album. Not quite sure I can say that about the "Songs Of..." albums. Again, some great songs are in them, but as albums - eh. And that's very tough for me to write.

I'm mostly on this wavelength.

Releasing an album that starts with revisiting the more experimental ideas they tossed aside for the final version of NLOTH? Yes. Calling it Songs of Ascent? No. It's time to let that go.

I am, however, a huge fan of SOI and think save for a few moments it's a wonderfully crafted and even mostly cohesive album that preserves a theme throughout. Sadly, its legacy is its release method.

SOE on the other hand was the first U2 album I felt disappointment with upon my first and every successive listen. I can't help but cringe during every shoe-horned in lyric about American democracy, calling a significant other a landlady, rhyming Zack/Jack/etc., everything about The Showman, the pieced together sound of YTBTAM, the chorus of GOOYOW, and so on.

My personal feelings aside, I still can't see the "Songs of..." name being the right call.

Don't care what they call it, but can The Edge please be as creative coming up with Adam's bass lines with his own six string?

SOE, does it even have a signature riff on there? To be more specific, a signature riff that Edge came up with himself?

Don't care what they call it, but can The Edge please be as creative coming up with Adam's bass lines with his own six string?

SOE, does it even have a signature riff on there? To be more specific, a signature riff that Edge came up with himself?

American Soul baybay! The riff so nice, they've used it twice...three times....ok, four times!

Honestly, I'm ok with the Edge being U2's 'atmosphere'-ist vs their guitarist. I think his guitar work has been passable, if not good, on SOE. SOI I think was definitely his low point. But the contributions atmospherically are probably understated.

Or overstated, I don't know what I'm talking about tbh.

I think Larry is the one in need of inspiration. I know there's a lot less creativity in being a drummer vs. being a string player, but straight up re-using Beautiful Day's drum line for GOoYOW just shows a complete lack of craps given.

Haven't been here a while and just rereading stuff.

I have maybe 1% stock that U2 will 'go back to basics' or stop trying to chase radio hits. I genuinely believe that Bono and Edge have no idea what made their early music great. I think Adam and Larry don't give a shit about it, and just want to play in a successful band.

I think American Soul is the epitome of this idea. Had they released it as like, a Superbowl promo, or some other form to hopefully cash in on ad revenue, whatever, good for them, pay the bills. But the thought that all four of these elderstatesmen of rock could not only sign off on that nonsense, zero-subtly cacophony, but to include that on an album, shows that they don't know what makes them good.

I thought I more to say on this, but I guess I don't. I just don't ever see them going back to making post-punk or atmospheric sounds, or dabbling with electronic music ever again. I think the failure of NLOTH (which was, from what it sounds like, their fault) has soured them on straying from the mainstream. I think any new album, despite how they say they're trying new things, or exciting about what's happening, is just going to be more of the same. I think I'm ok with that, especially since I loved SoE, but I know I can't turn to U2 to push envelopes, or be innovative.

There's another new thing up now. Seems to be something to do with 11 o clock tick tok

oFQupgm.gif

Last edited:
Haven't been here a while and just rereading stuff.

I have maybe 1% stock that U2 will 'go back to basics' or stop trying to chase radio hits. I genuinely believe that Bono and Edge have no idea what made their early music great. I think Adam and Larry don't give a shit about it, and just want to play in a successful band.

I think American Soul is the epitome of this idea. Had they released it as like, a Superbowl promo, or some other form to hopefully cash in on ad revenue, whatever, good for them, pay the bills. But the thought that all four of these elderstatesmen of rock could not only sign off on that nonsense, zero-subtly cacophony, but to include that on an album, shows that they don't know what makes them good.

I thought I more to say on this, but I guess I don't. I just don't ever see them going back to making post-punk or atmospheric sounds, or dabbling with electronic music ever again. I think the failure of NLOTH (which was, from what it sounds like, their fault) has soured them on straying from the mainstream. I think any new album, despite how they say they're trying new things, or exciting about what's happening, is just going to be more of the same. I think I'm ok with that, especially since I loved SoE, but I know I can't turn to U2 to push envelopes, or be innovative.

The irony with going back to radio songs is that that was the reason why No Line failed. They like to think it was the more experimental pieces that put people off when n reality it was decisions like teaming up with coffee salesman Will.I.Am to make dreck like Crazy Tonight.

A lot of the reason No Line failed was about the rest of the music scene, too. ‘04/‘05 was sort of the last gasp of rock’s cultural dominance. By the time 2009 came around, nothing from U2 was likely to float to the top amidst Lady Gaga/Katy Perry/Pitbull/Black Eyed Peas/etc. People had moved on.

A lot of the reason No Line failed was about the rest of the music scene, too. ‘04/‘05 was sort of the last gasp of rock’s cultural dominance. By the time 2009 came around, nothing from U2 was likely to float to the top amidst Lady Gaga/Katy Perry/Pitbull/Black Eyed Peas/etc. People had moved on.
This is fair. Similar thing happened in 1997.

And I actually think there was a small appetite for a new U2 album in 2014... not to the levels of the past but a nice moment for them, which all went to shit because of one damned business decision.

It's confusing that they still want to make pop hits, but at the same time they're increasingly leaning into the rock sound which hasn't been part of the pop zeitgeist since the 2000's.

They can't really have it both ways - songs like GOYB, the Miracle, Blackout and the 'balls to the wall rock album' Bono wants to do next can't really be hits the way Vertigo, or anything before that was.

I feel like they ought to lean into one or the other - either make a brutal, raw, uncompromising rock album and accept it won't have any chart success, or lean into a more contemporary, dance-driven sound (perhaps a modern version of Mysterious Ways or EBTTRT)

How damaging does everyone think Guy Oseary has been to the band creatively since he became manager?

Managers often have input, or rather their own thoughts, on what artistic direction their clients may be taking. Paul McGuinness was sceptical about them working with Brian Eno initially (again showing that managers don't really have an artistic eye).

With Guy Oseary, you see the industry he's involved in and its just fame hungry pop megastardom tacky shit. Wouldn't at all be surprised if he recommended the dreaded Ryan Tedder. He was after all presiding over the Apple debacle too.

It's just all corporate bullshit isn't it now and hearing their singles of late, corporate music for businessmen in suits. Granted, the genius shines through now and then on Songs of Experience (Love Is All We Have, Little Things, Lights of Home, 13) but their career is now dictated by shallow music.

Yeah I don’t see U2 as victim to their management. If anything, their management is a product of themselves. They are in charge and Guy exists because they made it be, not the other way round.

Back
Top Bottom