Next Album Rumours Thread II - Songs of Ass Scent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Adam is the most grounded, least bonkers member of the group these days, so I trust his words more than the rest of them.

I know some people in here don’t like it, but Stuck has possibly their most memorable/indelible melody of the 21st century, and possibly in their career after ISHF. Maybe this points the way towards a reflective, quieter and more adult album than Punk Rawk from Saturn or whatever.

Or maybe it means nothing. It probably means nothing. But talk of new material makes me happy. Anything else they release in their lifetimes will make me happy, because I’ve stopped giving a fuck about what I want from them.

Adam is the most grounded, least bonkers member of the group these days, so I trust his words more than the rest of them.

I know some people in here don’t like it, but Stuck has possibly their most memorable/indelible melody of the 21st century, and possibly in their career after ISHF. Maybe this points the way towards a reflective, quieter and more adult album than Punk Rawk from Saturn or whatever.

Or maybe it means nothing. It probably means nothing. But talk of new material makes me happy. Anything else they release in their lifetimes will make me happy, because I’ve stopped giving a fuck about what I want from them.

Yeah, this! :up:

Adam is the most likely source for anything that's likely to mean something. I remember his comments during the gap between NLOTH and SOI. He said something along the lines of "it's kind of a mature take on our early sound" and though of course the extent to which SOI wound up that way is up for debate, I remember thinking as soon as I heard "Ordinary Love" "damn, he was pretty spot on." The echo-y drums, the slide guitar bridge, etc.

Stuck really is a wonderful song and melody. I had a hard time coming around to that personally, as I first got to know it as a casual fan when it was being played to death on the radio. All that song was to me was the slower, boring step brother to BD and Elevation. It also didn't soar like Walk On.

I couldn't connect to it at my age. I was a freshman in High School, and I'd yet to be fully introduced to the emotional side of U2, never mind having any idea what the song was about. It wasn't until the Super Bowl performance that I was moved beyond belief by their music and became a super fan. As the years went on, the song faded from the radio, I learned about the band, the relationship with Hutchence that inspired the lyrics, etc and came to love the song.

Though my preferred direction is something along the lines of the stronger songs from the Songs of era. or even some of the more contemplative JT era songs, whatever they're feeling, I'd just as soon see them go for it.

I would've had a different answer 6 years ago, but now, I'm just along for the ride. I found plenty to really enjoy on the last 2 albums, and U2 can still kill it live. I'll be interested in new material for what it is, and counting my blessings every show I'm able to see.

We're at the stage with them where anything we get is extra.

Whilst I don't really love 'Stuck in a moment', I do like the idea of
U2 doing more gospel/church tradition music, something closer to the vibe on a few of the Joshua Tree tracks, rather than straight forward rock. I think it would suit them better at this stage in their career than rock or pop at this point.

(Of, course, we're likely a couple years away from a new album, so I'm sure this description won't be that accurate by then really)

Whatever music they do put out, I just hope it's not with Ryan Tedder. Fingers crossed the lack of any radio hits on SOI and SOE will encourage them to look elsewhere.

Moment of Surrender. Pity that from U2’s perspective, it is likely lumped in with what they see as a failed album and therefore never to see the light of day again. It is one of their most perfect songs. A masterpiece.

That quieter and more reflective album is still in them. It shows through as recently as Landlady. They need to stop with all the producer swapping and searching for a “hit” and go with their heart.

Last edited:
Moment of Surrender. Pity that from U2’s perspective, it is likely lumped in with what they see as a failed album and therefore never to see the light of day again. It is one of their most perfect songs. A masterpiece.

That quieter and more reflective album is still in them. It shows through as recently as Landlady. They need to stop with all the producer swapping and searching for a “hit” and go with their heart.

I know I said that I don’t give a fuck about what I want from them, but this kind of album is what I want. MOS is another great example of that kind of mature POV that I think would suit them. I also think that the ending of Landlady is too short. It’s beautiful, but they could ride that final minute or so even longer and let us luxuriate in that beauty for a little while.

Bono is still going on about Songs of Ascent after all these years, and describes it as completely distinct to the rock music they're making; sounds like a deliberate effort to make something more meditative and closer to MoS (it did come out of NLOTH sessions after all), so maybe you guys will get your wish (eventually)!

I also think that the ending of Landlady is too short. It’s beautiful, but they could ride that final minute or so even longer and let us luxuriate in that beauty for a little while.

:drool:

If they decide to eschew rocking in favour of somewhat subdued beauty they could have an excellent final act.

Last edited:
If they didn't make a rock song try so hard to sound like a pop song, they'd be alright.

The early sounds of Best Thing were very bouncy, light, a good rhythm. Then Edge decides he needs to change it all for some generic rock chords thinking this is what the song was missing. U2 aren't The Who, and Edge definitely isn't Jimmy Page. Stick to being Edge, which is weird, minimalist, effects. One of the reasons why Elevation is such a smash live is due to such simplicity yet given strength through the guitar effect.

The Fly is another rock song that's basically two notes, but layered within effects and of course the solo :drool::drool::drool:

I would be just fine with U2 taking a more meditative approach on the next album. I'd still like to hear Edge play the guitar, his own guitar riffs (not sampling!) and allowing the band to noodle their way through a song versus trying to be the Beatles with a 3 min pop song.

But we'll see. Since ATYCLB, U2 will change directions 30x before anything is recorded and released.

I also think that the ending of Landlady is too short. It’s beautiful, but they could ride that final minute or so even longer and let us luxuriate in that beauty for a little while.

Agreed. And I also feel that Love Is Bigger should have repeated the refrain a couple more times at the end, because it's so damned catchy and good. They figured that out when they did it live, but a shame it came too late.

Agreed. And I also feel that Love Is Bigger should have repeated the refrain a couple more times at the end, because it's so damned catchy and good. They figured that out when they did it live, but a shame it came too late.

Yes. 100%.

I just hope they recognise that their die hards want innovation and quality from them, so they could be true to the SOA idea, release it to the fan club and still drop a more commercial new album at the same time

Ha, no. I don't think so. $50-85 for a new album is the definition of a rip off.

Not if it was presented as a book, vinyl and a CD and lossless files and included exclusive video content, log in access to a live stream of them playing the album start to finish etc. I’m not suggesting they keep the status quo and just make some mp3s the gift - I’m saying a u2 album of unique songs and new material on vinyl through a fan club only for $50 is the definition of value. You’d pay that if it wasn’t exclusive. And if you didn’t want it you could flip it for twice the value once the next gift comes out and they don’t sell it anymore.

You can just be oppositional because you hate the club, or you can engage in a theoretical conversation about how they could make it better, or you could just... ignore it?

Or they could offer exclusive physical version (cd/vinyl) and then just stream it to everyone else.

Not if it was presented as a book, vinyl and a CD and lossless files and included exclusive video content, log in access to a live stream of them playing the album start to finish etc. I’m not suggesting they keep the status quo and just make some mp3s the gift - I’m saying a u2 album of unique songs and new material on vinyl through a fan club only for $50 is the definition of value. You’d pay that if it wasn’t exclusive. And if you didn’t want it you could flip it for twice the value once the next gift comes out and they don’t sell it anymore.

You can just be oppositional because you hate the club, or you can engage in a theoretical conversation about how they could make it better, or you could just... ignore it?

I haven't said I hate the fan club.

I am engaging in theoretical conversation - you just don't like what I'm saying. Releasing a new album to the fan club for $50-85 dollars is a rip off, it's manipulative, and it's exclusionary. There would have to be a regular CD and LP version available at normal outlets.

I am engaging in theoretical conversation - you just don't like what I'm saying. Releasing a new album to the fan club for $50-85 dollars is a rip off, it's manipulative, and it's exclusionary. There would have to be a regular CD and LP version available at normal outlets.

I agree with you. It's expensive and most definitely exlusionary. Plus, people would just pirate it anyway, so it wouldn't really work.

you'd also have a lot of people signing up to get the albums so they could flip it on discogs at a grossly inflated rate.

It’s also entirely possible that some diehard fans aren’t super interested in material items and have no desire to get “gifts” or “exclusives.”

For me I am not in the club but the sole reason I would ever consider joining is for presales on live shows. If that’s even a thing, I don’t know.

For me I am not in the club but the sole reason I would ever consider joining is for presales on live shows. If that’s even a thing, I don’t know.

Despite being a big fan since 1991 or so, I didn't get around to joining Propaganda until around the ATYCLB area, which was a mistake on my part. No idea why I waited so long.

It was cool to get the nicely published quarterly(?) magazines, but I think only a few came out by the time they closed up shop and went online-only.

Ultimately, like you, my main impetus was to get dibs on tickets; everything else was just a bonus. I managed to get GA tix for multiple shows on every tour up until the giant SOE clusterfuck, at which point I had to keep calling and emailing them to get that year's membership fee refunded, having recently renewed for the sole purpose of getting tickets. So I didn't wind up going to that tour. And I'm not sure if I'd ever join again unless there was some kind of assurance that the corporate entity was on the same page with the band/fan club.

The problem with U2's lack of popularity amongst young folk, and one of the major reasons why younger generations refuse to engage with them (other than the free album fiasco), is that their level of 'access' and media exposure is so damn exclusive.

Get demos, live gigs, etc? Pay an extortionate fee for the fanclub.

Listen to podcasts and interviews with members of the bands? Pay up to Sirius XM.

An interview with Bono? No free podcasts around, so watch some high end dull chat show who has access to all the exclusive guests (e.g. why not something like the Adam Buxton podcast instead of boring Oprah Winfrey).

Hear an interesting demo or alternative version? Buy the mega deluxe version of the album that is coming out.

The fact is it fucking costs a lot to get that access. There's nothing savvy about their PR, they don't throw out a free live gig here and there like Bruce Springsteen, they don't chuck out demos and alternative versions or jams out for free like Aphex Twin - all these artists, even Bruce, are very accessible to the younger generation and it's no surprise they are revered a lot more.

I realise the band don't believe in 'free' music, and maybe the latter point about demos etc is pushing it, but it's not much to ask for free content in this day and age. They really need to think inventively about making themselves more accessible and less exclusive to exclusive access to music, top end publications or media personnel. God knows, they don't need the money. But where they are at, U2 could do with being a bit more 'underground' online (in a way that Radiohead and Aphex Twin are) in their efforts to promote their legacy to younger folk, or indeed, those older folk who have grown fed up with them.

Finally it comes down to the music. Stop writing music that you think will appeal to the kids, it's not a good look and doesn't sound good, nor does it sound convincing.

(INSERT FOUL MOUTH RANT ABOUT RYAN TEDDER HERE)

Last edited:
I'm still shocked that Bono has done Marc Maron's WTF podcast yet.

The only reason I can think of at this point is that he's waiting for his autobiography to come out, and do it as part of the promo tour for that.

Listen to podcasts and interviews with members of the bands? Pay up to Sirius XM.

An interview with Bono? No free podcasts around, so watch some high end dull chat show who has access to all the exclusive guests (e.g. why not something like the Adam Buxton podcast instead of boring Oprah Winfrey).

)

The band were on U Talkin U2 To Me?, and Bono and Edge made a second appearance. That was pretty cool.

I thought Edge might do WTF to promote the ATYCLB reissue. They both live in LA...

Maron's probably the only guy who could get Bono and Edge to speak like normal people. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know who he was though. They seem kinda clueless.

The problem with U2's lack of popularity amongst young folk, and one of the major reasons why younger generations refuse to engage with them (other than the free album fiasco), is that their level of 'access' and media exposure is so damn exclusive.

Get demos, live gigs, etc? Pay an extortionate fee for the fanclub.

Hear an interesting demo or alternative version? Buy the mega deluxe version of the album that is coming out.

The fact is it fucking costs a lot to get that access. There's nothing savvy about their PR, they don't throw out a free live gig here and there like Bruce Springsteen, they don't chuck out demos and alternative versions or jams out for free like Aphex Twin - all these artists, even Bruce, are very accessible to the younger generation and it's no surprise they are revered a lot more.

I realise the band don't believe in 'free' music, and maybe the latter point about demos etc is pushing it, but it's not much to ask for free content in this day and age. They really need to think inventively about making themselves more accessible and less exclusive to exclusive access to music, top end publications or media personnel. God knows, they don't need the money. But where they are at, U2 could do with being a bit more 'underground' online (in a way that Radiohead and Aphex Twin are) in their efforts to promote their legacy to younger folk, or indeed, those older folk who have grown fed up with them.

Finally it comes down to the music. Stop writing music that you think will appeal to the kids, it's not a good look and doesn't sound good, nor does it sound convincing.

(INSERT FOUL MOUTH RANT ABOUT RYAN TEDDER HERE)

Can't agree more. U2 lost their relevance by thinking in dollars too much. Would be nice to see them hungry and creative again like the War/UF or the AB/Zooropa/Pop era. They'e millionaires now and they don't care. I hope I'm not right, but I think it's the reality.

Can't agree more. U2 lost their relevance by thinking in dollars too much. Would be nice to see them hungry and creative again like the War/UF or the AB/Zooropa/Pop era. They'e millionaires now and they don't care. I hope I'm not right, but I think it's the reality.
Unfortunately I think you're right and it's sad. I miss the U2 of old.

Back
Top Bottom