New York I Setlist Watch and Party, Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
VintagePunk said:

That's what I don't get about people who complain about various songs/the setlists here in the thread. Seeing it live is a completely different atmosphere as opposed to reading the words on a monitor - not to state the obvious, but I really think that some people forget that. There's an energy to the songs live...they take on a life of their own, where a song that you may be indifferent to at home becomes fantastic.

I also don't comprehend people who go to multiple shows, then complain here...then go on to attend more shows, despite their complaining! I would tend to think that maybe if they're complaining about the setlist in these circumstances, they've reached their U2 saturation point for this tour, and that maybe they should just stay home. :shrug:

And then they could sell their tickets to me. :wink:

16.gif

Willing to take west coast tickets that VP can't attend :whistle:

vintage...i agree and disagree...ive complained about the setlist from time to time (not much though)...ive seen them 5 times this tour, and will see them multiple more times this tour...so complaints about the setlist have no correlation for me about whether or not i go to a concert...the point is...for a lot of us here...and im including myself in this...U2 is the best band in the world...i cant think of too many things id rather do than go to a U2 concert...the thing is...they just have so many great songs that some of us would like to hear/see on paper our favorites/rarities played...thats all

rock888nwo said:
vintage...i agree and disagree...ive complained about the setlist from time to time (not much though)...ive seen them 5 times this tour, and will see them multiple more times this tour...so complaints about the setlist have no correlation for me about whether or not i go to a concert...the point is...for a lot of us here...and im including myself in this...U2 is the best band in the world...i cant think of too many things id rather do than go to a U2 concert...the thing is...they just have so many great songs that some of us would like to hear/see on paper our favorites/rarities played...thats all

yeah i think some people are a little too sensitive when some people mention other songs theyd like to hear instead

saying youd prefer a different seltist doesnt mean you wouldnt enjoy the current one and you dont want to go to shows anymore :huh:

rock888nwo said:

I totally understand that, but I've always maintained that U2 are not forming their setlists for people who attend 5+, 10+, or even 20+ shows per tour. I would think that of a 20,000 person arena, probably only 2,000 of the attendees have been to other shows (although this is only a guess - I'd LOVE to see stats on this, actually)...so that leaves 90% of the arena who are only going to the one show. I think it's far more likely for the band to be playing to that group - because face it - the crazed fans will show up no matter what is played.

And given the technology used - the sound, the lighting, mixing it up takes planning (although I'm aware that it's sometimes spontaneous). So, given those two facts, I'm not surprised that they play essentially the same setlist night after night. I look at any variation as a bonus, not as something I'm owed.

Lila, I'll be east coast, yo...you can have the west. :wink:

you're right....it would be interesting to find the statistics on what percentage of people at a U2 concert had already seen a previous show on the tour

rock888nwo said:
you're right....it would be interesting to find the statistics on what percentage of people at a U2 concert had already seen a previous show on the tour

We should get a government grant to do a study, and attend all the shows. :wink:

I just got home from MSG the band were amazing and they truly love this city they were in tip top form :drool:

one4u2 said:
I just got home from MSG the band were amazing and they truly love this city they were in tip top form :drool:

Just got back also. Awesome show!! I guess my screaming at Bono to play Fast Cars paid off.:D I can't even express the feeling that I had when they started this song. I'm all screamed out. I hope I regain my voice for tomorrow night.:drool:

Great show tonight! Bono sounded fabulous! And the band was in great spirits. I was in the first row of Sec 10, right behind the VIP section, I could have reached out and bopped Chelsea Clinton on the head if I wanted to be arrested. :wink: Y'know, I bet Headache was the guy right next to me...

Axver, you should add an Across the Universe snippet to Beautiful Day and another Beatles snippet I am forgetting now...he reeled off 5-6 of them at the end of that. <g>

Wet and soggy GA line for me tomorrow... :hyper: Might be able to be a source again on the 14th if no one else steps forward.

Did anyone mention the two Ramones snippets, Rockaway Beach and Gimme Shock Treament?

Awesome, awesome, awesome show.

Does anyone know if Bono played guitar during Crumbs in Boston. I know that he didn't in Minneapolis and was surprised to see him playing it tonight.

OK -

It is 2:23AM and I just got back from the show. This is pretty rare as my wife is sitting next to me and all we can say is, after all the complaining, bitching, moaning about the setlists, tonight's show was one to behold.

We just got back from a 12:30 AM dinner and there were some rowdy European folks in the dining room who also were at the show and could not help but to let out some whoo-hoo's from Elevation.

The band started a bit shaky, Bono's voice was a bit off very quickly into the show, but soon after The Electic Co, they pulled together a very memorable show.

The Ocean was great, Miss Sarajevo was surprisingly (to me) spot on (especially Bono's opera), then we got The First Time, Fast Cars, and Crumbs - pretty amazing.

The band kept gaining energy, while unfortunately I feel like the crowd kind of melted away. I think Bono motioned for one more song after With or Without You, but that was it - I do not think they could do any more.

All in all, it was a predictable setlist, but when it came time for the encores, they really gave it their all.

Besides all the snippets, and all the times Bono screwed up tonight (there were a few) Larry was extremely angry at his tech for some reason - I think it was something with his In Ear Monitors.

Anyway - I am sure I will have more to say next week...

Reporting to you live as a "wife of" of a HUGE U2 fan I have to say a few things (assuming you want to listen, of course). We went to their show in May and tonight's set in comparison was phenomenal (if nothing else, on the emotional level). Wow I have a forum to write whatever the hell I want right now, huh? Really though as an "outsider" it was fantastic. There might have been screw ups, and I know there were (i heard them too, but that makes them more real, no?) but overall, still, good stuff. The show was delicious, and much to my husband's chagrin, the Edge was even yummier! Ok I have been cut off!

- Wife of Ouizy

ouizy said:
Reporting to you live as a "wife of" of a HUGE U2 fan I have to say a few things (assuming you want to listen, of course). We went to their show in May and tonight's set in comparison was phenomenal (if nothing else, on the emotional level). Wow I have a forum to write whatever the hell I want right now, huh? Really though as an "outsider" it was fantastic. There might have been screw ups, and I know there were (i heard them too, but that makes them more real, no?) but overall, still, good stuff. The show was delicious, and much to my husband's chagrin, the Edge was even yummier! Ok I have been cut off!

- Wife of Ouizy

Louise Jefferson has a wife? :ohmy:

:wink:

brianh20 said:
Did anyone mention the two Ramones snippets, Rockaway Beach and Gimme Shock Treament?

Awesome, awesome, awesome show.

What song/s were those snippets during? And could anyone tell me what Bono snippeted during The Electric Co., did it include the Neil McCormick song People I Don't Know Are Trying To Kill Me?

PopArtist, Across The Universe, is that the song from some awards ceremony earlier this year? The title rings a bell but I can't place it. :reject:

Sounds like Bono was seriously snippet-happy! Glad it was such an awesome show!

ramblin rose said:
Does anyone know if Bono played guitar during Crumbs in Boston. I know that he didn't in Minneapolis and was surprised to see him playing it tonight.

Yea he did. Minimally though. Mostly just the chiming lead part during the intro/pre-verse... oh and he "played" "chords" :D

if he sang Across The Universe, there's a famous band who did that song. I think they are called.... THE BEATLES. Kids today :tsk:

Ouizy - nice of you to let "Mrs Ouizy" have a moment on the crackboard. Nice to meet you. Would you be George? J/K :giggle:

Axver, Across the Universe is the song the group of performers (including Bono) did on this year's Grammys, available for download, with proceeds to benefit the tsunami victims.

Lila64 said:
if he sang Across The Universe, there's a famous band who did that song. I think they are called.... THE BEATLES. Kids today :tsk:

:banghead:

I'm almost tempted to endure listening to the Beatles just so I know all the songs when people mention them.

Almost. I've already heard enough to put me off them for life and I certainly don't plan on learning the title of every song in their discography.

VintagePunk said:
Axver, Across the Universe is the song the group of performers (including Bono) did on this year's Grammys, available for download, with proceeds to benefit the tsunami victims.

Thanks! I do remember that. Didn't know it was originally a Beatles number. That probably shows ignorance, but ... eh, it's the Beatles, I don't care.

Axver said:

:banghead:

I'm almost tempted to endure listening to the Beatles just so I know all the songs when people mention them.

Almost. I've already heard enough to put me off them for life and I certainly don't plan on learning the title of every song in their discography.

That's a shame, the Beatles truly were the first Supergroup. Sure some of their stuff is dated, but most of it is magical. U2 wouldn't be the same group they've been without the Beatles...right Lila?

do you want me to ysi it for you Axver? I have it on my computer

as for Reggie's comment, I don't think a lot of bands would be who or what they are without the Beatles... But that's just me. They influenced everyone...

Axver said:

What song/s were those snippets during? And could anyone tell me what Bono snippeted during The Electric Co., did it include the Neil McCormick song People I Don't Know Are Trying To Kill Me?

PopArtist, Across The Universe, is that the song from some awards ceremony earlier this year? The title rings a bell but I can't place it. :reject:

Sounds like Bono was seriously snippet-happy! Glad it was such an awesome show!

Yes, he sang the People I Don't Know Are Trying To Kill Me at the end of the Electric Co. over and over again.

And yes, he snippeted the Beatles Across The Universe as well as Sgt. Peppers, and I think there was one other Beatles reference...

There were a ton of others tonight, but I will have to remember them later...

Bono went snippet crazy tonight.

He also screwed up Yahweh, as well as the snippet for In A Little While

He also snippeted Please.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

That's a shame, the Beatles truly were the first Supergroup. Sure some of their stuff is dated, but most of it is magical. U2 wouldn't be the same group they've been without the Beatles...right Lila?

I'm aware of the whole significance of the Beatles influence, but I honestly just don't enjoy their music. It does nothing at all for me. I do like their songs when U2 cover them ... :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom