New Tori Amos record

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Was she dancing like your avatar? If so I've had the same dream.:wink:

:lol:

Actually we were arguing about something, I don't remember what. :huh: She shows up in my dreams now and then--I think she's some kind of archetypal figure for me.

Hey Heartland Girl or JoyFul Girl, or anyone,

Any of you know if the quality of these bootlegs are gonna be top notch, cos that's a lot of money for me and I wanna make sure.

foray

foray said:
Hey Heartland Girl or JoyFul Girl, or anyone,

Any of you know if the quality of these bootlegs are gonna be top notch, cos that's a lot of money for me and I wanna make sure.

foray

I can't say for sure because I haven't heard them, but I'm guessing that because these albums are officially sanctioned, produced, and sold by Tori and her people, they will be of the highest quality. I think the reason they are making them is to keep people from having to purchase low-quality, homemade bootlegs of her live shows. My guess is that the quality would be excellent, comparable to the bonus live disc that came with To Venus and Back.

FlyYourKite said:

:bow: Thank you! *runs to read*

I was reading through some of the reviews of this leg and so many of them say things like "wow, she hit all the high notes!" and I was thinking when exactly did Tori ever not hit a high note? It's actually the lower notes where her voice cracks. The high notes are always flawless. The reviews from this leg seem particularly ecstatic.

As usual, http://www.hereinmyhead.com/sounds/index.html has some good clips from the recent shows, most notably one of the strangest covers she's ever done (by request) Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire. She said it was the first and probably last time for that one and that if the people who requested it weren't there then 'they suck.' :lol:

Thanks. I will take your word for it since I trust you girls. Listening to samples online would be great if I had speakers (x_x)

Just read the footnotes. These 2 double discs are the first of an edition of 6?? Madness, I gotta start saving up. (^_^)

foray

So I finally sat down and had a good, solid listen to The Beekeeper. Although not like her other albums, this one I liked immediately. She's really come into her own and the lyrics and melodies are mature and solid.

My favourites are:
Parasol - very heavy...the chorus is especially interesting "I will be safe in my frame"
Sweet the Sting - sexual and steamy...I like it
Jamaica Inn - catchy tune, great lyrics
Sleeps with Butterflies - not much needs to be said, this one is an instant classic
Original Sinsuality
The Beekeeper
Martha's Foolish Ginger
Toast - melancholic and so touching...I'm not sure if it was written specifically about her brother but that's definitely what comes to mind

I :heart: this album so much.

*sigh* Tori is amazing.

Cool! I'm glad you like it. I think it is my least favorite Tori record, although I still like it (I pretty much like everything she does). I loved it for awhile but I am not moved to listen to it often, whereas I still grab Scarlet's Walk on any given Sunday morning. Everything on Beekeeper sounds better live, though, than on the record. The live versions of the title song, for example, with an extended organ intro, and Parasol (one of my favorites, too) are really incredible.

I definitely think Toast is for her brother. Apparently there was an emotional show in Cary, NC, the other night (near where she grew up so it was basically the hometown show). When I hear it, I think of my best friend who died in 2001, who turned me on to Tori many years ago. The record was also released on my friend's birthday and he was a Pisces (Goodbye), not to mention there is a song with my name (Martha) so I think there was some funny business going on on the other side. :hmm: ;)

Anyway, nice to have another voice here in the Tori thread!

I need to sit myself down with this record and really listen to it. On the few brief listens I've given it so far, it hasn't done much for me.

Scarlet's Walk, while pleasant, never really grew on me either, although Strange Little Girls finally did grow on me, and now I love half of it and loathe a few of the songs. I'll take that just fine. :wink:

I haven't seen her live since her Strange Little Girls tour .... maybe I need to get off my ass and get to a show.

corianderstem said:
.... maybe I need to get off my ass and get to a show.

Duh! :wink:

Seriously, this tour is so different. Tori solo doing random songs from throughout her career and at least 2 interesting covers every night. Some shows she only plays like 4 songs from The Beekeeper. Who goes on tour in support of a new record and only plays 4 songs from it? You can't even begin to guess what she'll play each night. Anything and everything is possible.

Did anyone see her on the Today Show this morning? She did Winter and Sweet The Sting, those are the two I saw maybe she did more

It sounded beautiful and she looked beautiful, I liked her shirt too :wink: I'm more of a casual fan of Tori, but I am definitely looking forward to the concert

MrsSpringsteen said:
Did anyone see her on the Today Show this morning? She did Winter and Sweet The Sting, those are the two I saw maybe she did more

It sounded beautiful and she looked beautiful, I liked her shirt too :wink: I'm more of a casual fan of Tori, but I am definitely looking forward to the concert

I did. Can I ask if her performance on the Today show is typical of one of her live shows? Because although I quite enjoyed the songs and how she sounded, I found her manner of performing very distracting. She just looked really uncomfortable and watching made me very antsy, almost itchy. :huh:

She looked fine when I saw her last night, I didn't notice that anything was "strange" :shrug:. It was amazing, I am in love :wink:

Like I said, being a more casual fan I'm not familiar w/ so many of her songs..in the piano bar part she did Total Eclipse Of The Heart, which I thought was incredible. Also Angie.

She did a cover of Dream On, and she told a story of how (I'm assuming it was Steven Tyler), protected her daughter during some blackout in Detroit. I had to leave right after that to beat the Stones traffic, so I'm sure I missed some great stuff. I couldn't believe how at one point she was playing the organ w/ one hand and the piano w/ another. She also said thanks for being there on her last night of being 41, today's her birthday.

MrsSpringsteen said:

She did a cover of Dream On, and she told a story of how (I'm assuming it was Steven Tyler), protected her daughter during some blackout in Detroit.

Yes, this was during the big Northeast blackout of 2003. She and Aerosmith were both scheduled to play in Detroit, were staying at the same hotel and hung out when both their shows were canceled.

Yay, Mrs. Springsteen, I'm so glad you enjoyed the show! :applaud: You missed three songs, Pretty Good Year, Playboy Mommy and 1000 Oceans. (I'm the nerd who checks the setlists everyday.)

There was one song I fell in love with, I'm in such a fog now that I can't remember..one of the lines had to do w/ "if you had treated me better", something like that. So if you can help me out joyfulgirl :)

It was sort of like my life story :| and it was a gorgeous song

Oh and I cried during Winter for some reason

indra said:

I did. Can I ask if her performance on the Today show is typical of one of her live shows? Because although I quite enjoyed the songs and how she sounded, I found her manner of performing very distracting. She just looked really uncomfortable and watching made me very antsy, almost itchy. :huh:

Unfortunately I forgot about it even though I've known about it for months. :scream: In general I don't think she comes across as well on TV so maybe that's what was going on, but it could've just been her usual style of performing which is very provocative and can put some people off. Onstage (not always on TV), however, I think she's one of the most comfortable people I've ever seen because she's been performing since she was like 13.

MrsSpringsteen said:
There was one song I fell in love with, I'm in such a fog now that I can't remember..one of the lines had to do w/ "if you had treated me better", something like that. So if you can help me out joyfulgirl :)

It was sort of like my life story :| and it was a gorgeous song

Oh and I cried during Winter for some reason

I don't recognize that lyric right off but she often adlibs live. Here's the setlist, if that helps. The obsessed fan who follows her around and sees every damn show and calls in the setlists to the guy who runs the website said it was the best show of the whole tour! You can read the fan reviews here:

http://thedent.com/more.php?id=2853_0_1_0_M

Original Sinsuality
Caught A Lite Sneeze
Amber Waves
Martha's Foolish Ginger
Winter
Pancake
Cool On Your Island

Total Eclipse Of The Heart (Bonnie Tyler cover)
Angie (Rolling Stones cover)

Barons Of Suburbia
Garlands
Tear In Your Hand
The Beekeeper

1st Encore
Dream On (Aerosmith cover)
Pretty Good Year

2nd Encore
Playboy Mommy
1000 Oceans

MrsSpringsteen said:
thanks! I've been looking for the setlist. It was Cool On Your Island

Uh, yeah

Oh, of course it was. I don't know that song too well because I never listen to that record. :huh: But it did sound great live when she played it in Denver earlier this year.

Happy 42nd Birthday Tori! :happy: :D I hope she has a wonderful day celebrating with her family and friends.

MrsSpringsteen, word is you witnessed one of the best Tori shows in history. I am so very jealous :wink: I'm glad to hear you had such a great time.

I couldn't believe the setlist when I checked last night...Playboy Mommy...Garlands??? *sigh* I can only hope a similar setlist will unfold for Toronto. Too bad Meet & Greets aren't possible at the Molson Ampitheatre cause I would love to meet her. :)

Thanks for your replies Mrs. Springsteen and Joyfulgirl. :)

It seems as if what I saw was pretty normal for her performances, so I best just skip her live shows and just get cds. I do know several people who also adore her live shows, and that's great. I think I would be completely distracted by her manner of performing, and I'd miss the music. Each to his or her own. Just not my thing.

Back
Top Bottom