New LCD Soundsystem album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
iron yuppie said:
I'm glad that question came up, because it gave me an excuse to listen to Sound of Silver - damn, Get Innocuous is a tremendous song.

Fuck yes. Have you heard the live version? It's an unstoppable tour de force.

Well Angela you have come to the right place. They only have three albums

Ooh, well, that helps make it easy, then :D.

and they're all very much worth hearing

That's what I've heard. Which is good. Always nice to see a consistent artist.

but I'd probably suggest starting with Sound of Silver. It has two of their biggest and very best songs plus a whole array of other great tunes. Unless you're looking for mostly dance(punk) tunes, in which case I'd say get the 2-disc self-titled. Or perhaps you're after a more complete set of quality songs, in which case I'd suggest This is Happening, which is utterly brilliant (and my favourite).

Well, so far, it seems the general consensus is Sound of Silver, so I think I'll go with that one, then. Though the dance/punk deal sounds intriguing, too. Either way, I'll get to both eventually. Appreciate the recommendations, all, thanks :up:.

Just be forewarned that many of their songs are quite lengthy. In the past I'd've said they could use an edit but now I think too much LCD Soundsystem is not enough.

It depends on the artist as to whether or not I'm okay with lengthy songs. Generally, 6, 7 minutes, I'm good with that. Beyond that, I start to get a bit restless-the song has to be really good to hold my interest at that point onward (and if it's getting to be 15 minutes or more, then I'm just bored. Which is likely the biggest reason I never listen to Grateful Dead :p). But if this band can make their lengthy songs worthwhile, then that won't bother me at all.

iron yuppie said:
Oh yeah - in person, luckily. That whole show was brilliant.

Which show? Had they put Dance Yrself Clean etc into the set yet?

Perhaps the biggest compliment I can pay their live show is that despite no Dance Yrself Clean, All I Want, Home, You Wanted A Hit or Someone Great it was still the second best show I've ever seen, behind U2. The show was that good the missing songs hardly mattered.

Which show? Had they put Dance Yrself Clean etc into the set yet?

Perhaps the biggest compliment I can pay their live show is that despite no Dance Yrself Clean, All I Want, Home, You Wanted A Hit or Someone Great it was still the second best show I've ever seen, behind U2. The show was that good the missing songs hardly mattered.

It was in Orlando of all places, in a half-full room at Disney World (really strange considering the massive demand for the NY show only a few months later). He opened with Dance Yrself Clean, and I've got to say that the explosion of sound when the song really kicked in is one of my all-time favorite concert moments.

Then I saw The National the very next night. Good times.

I wouldn't call him fat, but yeah he's one of the coolest guys in music. He's playing a DJ set with Pat Mahoney at Future in March, which should be cool. I'm debating whether I try and interview him...

iron yuppie said:
It was in Orlando of all places, in a half-full room at Disney World (really strange considering the massive demand for the NY show only a few months later). He opened with Dance Yrself Clean, and I've got to say that the explosion of sound when the song really kicked in is one of my all-time favorite concert moments.

Then I saw The National the very next night. Good times.

Goddam it.

Yeah, there's no way I'd be okay with a setlist like that.

I can have "fun" at Six Flags. I want to see a band's best material.

And let me point out that this was supposedly a tour for the new album. You don't play the lead track, the closing track, or two middle ones that are clear standouts?

Fuck that shit.

Robert Smith? :scratch:

I guess that he was well past his cool years when he got fat. That bloke was actually really good-looking back in the day, though.

lazarus said:
Yeah, there's no way I'd be okay with a setlist like that.

I can have "fun" at Six Flags. I want to see a band's best material.

lazarus said:
And let me point out that this was supposedly a tour for the new album. You don't play the lead track, the closing track, or two middle ones that are clear standouts?

Fuck that shit.

Oh I'm not arguing it wasn't disappointing that they weren't played. I'd've killed a man to see/hear them. But that doesn't mean what they did play wasn't phenomenal.

But this is coming from someone who'd probably pay to see them play Watch the Tapes for 90 minutes.

fuck, just watching that alone breaks me up a bit. cannot wait.

that was one hell of a final concert. watching him rendered almost unable to sing during NY,ILYBYBMD was... powerful stuff.

So been on YouTube checking out Sound of Silver (not the best way to experience an album, I know, but can't exactly run out and physically get a copy at this time of night). Very interesting so far-definitely got a great dance quality to it. Listening to "Us v Them" right now and quite liking it. Other highlights so far include "Time To Get Away" and "North American Scum" in particular. I easily see where these guys influenced Franz Ferdinand, no question.

Speaking of influences...did these guys ever listen to Suicide at all? For some reason that band keeps popping into my head as I hear this at times. They also remind me of someone else from that late 70s/early 80s disco yet not disco era, but I can't exactly pin down who. I can hear them in my head, but I'm blanking on who it is.

Edited: I just recalled it. Richard Hell. That's who it is. James' voice reminds me a lot of his.

Very glad you're enjoying it! :D and if you dig those songs you'll love the album.

And yeah Suicide was a big influence on them. One of the many, many, many artists namechecked in Losing My Edge (definitely look that up, their first single and sums them up really).

Very glad you're enjoying it! :D and if you dig those songs you'll love the album.

Yeah, some pretty good stuff in there :). Definitely something I feel I'm gonna have to listen to a few times to really digest everything going on.

And yeah Suicide was a big influence on them. One of the many, many, many artists namechecked in Losing My Edge (definitely look that up, their first single and sums them up really).

Will do. Yeah, that's one of the things I like about them-I hear elements of Talking Heads/Tom Tom Club, Suicide, and stuff like that from the late '70s and early '80s, and given that I tend to like a lot of the music from that era, well... Always cool to see artists come along who appreciate that stuff, too.

I don't know many of the artists they namecheck, but one of my favourite things about them was that they wore their influences on their sleeve, without it ever, ever being cringeworthy.

jamesnpat.jpg

You listened to Sound of Silver and had no comment on All My Friends? That's my favorite song of all-time.

Oh, yeah, I liked that song, too, definitely. Only problem was that I could only find the single version (which I've heard before) or live versions online, I kept wanting to find the full album version, since that's a bit longer, so I could hear it proper.

But yes. Regardless, good song indeed. I still have yet to get around to hearing the other albums, I'll work on that soon, too.

They did a DJ set here at a festival in 09. I played my mate All My Friends a few weeks later and he goes "ehh not bad, but their DJ set was better". wtf :huh:

All My Friends never clicked with me until I saw it live. But once it hit me, it really hit me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom