New Ideas for Interference... but not the forum.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

(Read the first post) How often to you read www.interference.com (not just the forum)

• On a regular basis

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Once in awhile

Votes: 39 40.2%
  • Never / I dont recall the last time

Votes: 36 37.1%

• Total voters
Is it just me or did some of the posts in this thread disappear? Could Elvis or a mod please PM me with an explanation?

Thanks,
HG

Not a mod, but because I noticed this earlier today too, went looking for and found the missing posts, I just thought I'd let you knowthat they were moved to the "Don't expect, suggest" forum.

Last edited:
I never really read it because I feel like there will be 4 or 5 days with no updates and then there are suddenly like, 5 "new" stories. So, if I'm freaking out about my U2 news, I just go to a different site to get it because they usually are updated faster.

Its not a dig on Interference but I don't feel like its really the U2 website I would go to for news. There are others out there that are updated faster and more often.

And, until two seconds ago, I had never scrolled down to the bottom of that page. It just seems so oudated. There is a link to buy the "NEW U2 ALBUM!!!"...the very same one that came out almost two years ago.
That Wim Wenders thing has been on there since at least 1986, hasn't it?

Anyway, my point (in a roundabout way) is that I don't really consider reading it because it seems outdated, etc.

:huh:

I'd like to remind people about the original question I posed... which was about non-u2 content, not the design of the current homepage, nor about the U2 content that is there now.

Please keep this thread focused.

Thanks,

Joel

Elvis said:
I'd like to remind people about the original question I posed... which was about non-u2 content, not the design of the current homepage, nor about the U2 content that is there now.

Thanks,

Joel

OK, I will re-phrase my comment.

I don't think there is any point to added content if it is going to be outdated and I can get updated content about anything else from 4839623947 different websites.

U2SavesTheWorld said:

OK, I will re-phrase my comment.

I don't think there is any point to added content if it is going to be outdated and I can get updated content about anything else from 4839623947 different websites.

I really dont think we'd venture into new content with outdated material.

I am however interested in how old you consider something for it to be called 'outdated', in relation to news and content?

Elvis said:

Thanks,

Joel

OK then - none. I'd probably wrinkle my nose at non-U2 content. If I want news about other bands, I go to their sites. If I want to discuss world news, I go to FYM or good blogs. Maybe newcomers who don't habitually check other sites already would be interested, but personally I wouldn't.

Even if you're not considering touching the design of the page, I'd like to say that IMO the design of the page seems like a bigger issue than the possibility of adding non-U2 content.

:shrug:

This thread has nothing to do with design, it has to do with content. But to ease your concern, there will be a re-design.

Elvis said:

I am however interested in how old you consider something for it to be called 'outdated', in relation to news and content?

In this day and age, 10 minutes is outdated. Now, I don't consider myself to be that psychotic but it is true.

What I am saying, is that, quite frankly, I can go on atu2.com and get news from them that doesn't seem to hit interference for a few days. At that time we are hit with 4 or 5 different news stories that, in my opinion, are outdated.

The bottom line is that I don't see myself relying on Interference for music news or the like. I can get it sooner from other websites. Features and things of that nature are another story. I'm simply talking about news.

I guess I'm saying that I agree with Heartland Girl....I don't come here for news. If I did, it would be for U2 news but I get that elsewhere anyway. I only come here for the forum and the people in it. I have Interference saved in my favorites as the FORUM, not the homepage. It saves me an extra click while trying to get through that first page. Plus, I used to accidentally click on the crap advertisements which are more annoying to me then anything. So, thats what I think.

waynetravis said:
i don't really go look at the main page much.
i have the forum has my home page and i check the news section there.

Ditto

Also I agree with Miri on many points. I feel this is a U2 site. There are tons of general music news sites out there. For me, this is where I am and if something happens U2 wise, I know I'm going to find about it here.

Maybe since that bubble game was such a hit, there could be gaming section or something. With flash games and such.

I support all new content stories to the site. As reading through some of the replies in this thread, a lot of you simply visit the forum anyways so I don't see how adding different content in addition to the U2 articles will adversely affect you or anyone for that matter. So yes, I'm all for seeing and learning about new things other than U2 in the content section. It'd be a good change. :up:

How about Interference recipes? There could be a daily one, like Axver's Unforgettably Fiery Chicken Wings. I'm just throwing things out there, people...stop your eye-rolling!

Elvis said:

One thing that has always attracted to me about U2 was the other things I discoverd 'because of U2' and of course other fans; other musicians, other artists, authors, movies/tv, world issues, technology, travel, politics, social issues, friends, etc.

This is true for me, as well. I'm interested in other bands, world issues like global warming, movies, sports. All of these things are found in the forum. In terms of the front page, you'd have to have a careful and creative editor who's able to do a small synopsis of daily stories and topics we might find interesting. Basically, this person has to take the lead and hope we follow. I'd definitely clean the page up a bit, and separate U2 news from the mix of everything else the editor finds newsworthy and compelling.

The first place I go to on the page is the 'active forum threads' section. I like this, because it's an organic gauge on what's being discussed most at a particular point. I'd keep this element.

if I had more time ON the Net, I'd probaly read more - it's just logistics of time & $$ b/c i don't have the net at home.
....and there have been things I've wanterd to read BUT it takes most of my time to just keep up with my freinds here & various several thread-lines.

see..........i';ve just seen this and I don't have the time right now to read the feedback, but i will in the next few days :)

Something that strikes me as really ironic about the people who only want 'U2' ... is that this thread is in a non-U2 forum ;)

Just thought I'd point that out.

Elvis said:
Something that strikes me as really ironic about the people who only want 'U2' ... is that this thread is in a non-U2 forum ;)

Fair enough, but honestly if this site became devoid of U2 content, or started being a music site in general, I'd probably leave. I belong to several other boards and when I compare FYM and LS to the equivalent forums on other boards, the threads overlap about 80% of the time (the same news articles discussed, same Happy Birthday threads, same chat threads, same game threads). Not that that's bad, I much prefer Interference and the members here, but at the end of the day I'm mainly here because of U2. The rest of the content and discussion is a bonus, but could be easily found on a number of other sites.

To me it seems like the problem is that there's just not enough exclusive U2 news, so restricting the homepage means there's always outdated articles because of a lack of new information. If only there was a way to generate more creative U2-related topics...

dsmith2904 said:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic, to your last point, we're always looking for new story ideas and contributors. If anyone out there has an article they'd like to see or would like to write for us, please let me know.

devlin@interference.com

Yes, I think you do a great job. I didn't mean that you guys are missing stuff, but just than in general, there's not a lot of U2 news around. The band themselves haven't been generating new stories.

I'd love to help, but I'm a terrible, terrible writer. I did help another Interferencer with something last month though, but I'm not sure what became of it.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Fair enough, but honestly if this site became devoid of U2 content, or started being a music site in general, I'd probably leave. I belong to several other boards and when I compare FYM and LS to the equivalent forums on other boards, the threads overlap about 80% of the time (the same news articles discussed, same Happy Birthday threads, same chat threads, same game threads). Not that that's bad, I much prefer Interference and the members here, but at the end of the day I'm mainly here because of U2. The rest of the content and discussion is a bonus, but could be easily found on a number of other sites.

To me it seems like the problem is that there's just not enough exclusive U2 news, so restricting the homepage means there's always outdated articles because of a lack of new information. If only there was a way to generate more creative U2-related topics...

No one said anything about the site being without U2 content/news, or the forum changing.

I would like to see Interference, as a group supporting the One campaign, African group, more actively Well Fund, and/or other well-deserving charities. Since these charities are well organized, it may be possible that a few of their members can support/sponsor sub-sections of the home page.

I think there may be many people that visit Interference that want to get involved in these charities, but for whatever reason, there is no promise of local group organization. A unified virtual group member might work out very well for all involved. The charity would gain numbers and visability. This couldn't hurt Interference, sponsored or not. Interferers would be given the opportunity for people in great need.

Elvis said:

Yeah, but none of us would be on this forum at all if this wasn't a U2 site. Technically all these forums are U2 related.

HeartlandGirl said:

Yeah, but none of us would be on this forum at all if this wasn't a U2 site. Technically all these forums are U2 related.

Originally, a few years ago, I would have fully agreed with you.... however, from the rate of posts/threads in the various non-u2 forums compared with the U2 related forums... the numbers indicate that people talk about non-u2 more than anything else, and in the past, during the "slow season" (ie. when U2 is in idle mode) the forum still flourishes, but the rate of U2 discussion significantly drops.

I'm friends with the owners of Murmurs.com (REM) and GreenPlastic.com (Radiohead) and both of their forums are similar in this regard, besides of course they are about their respective bands.

Like I said, my take on the forum in it's present state is that more than anything it's a community where most members share a common interest, that being "U2".

The forum has actually attracted a great number of members which aren't even really U2 fans.... either by finding us by search engines, or word of mouth.

Interference.com will always have it's roots in "U2" and U2 fans, and we'll always cater to U2/U2 fans.

Back
Top Bottom