New Forum is Up! Still tweaking things though...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so here's the thing about adding extra features that dont come with this software (like the forum navigation links you are referring to above, or the local post times). Basically these are extra 'hacks' that need to be coded in the software, and when you have a lot of hacks, like we did on the old forum, it makes upgrading the board a nightmare. Which is why Joel never upgraded the board. So some of these things cannot easily be added if we want to make upgrading the board in the future painless. Sorry.

That's okay. I'm sure my index finger will eventually get used to the extra click or two it takes me to get to where I want to go. :sad:

:wink:

Oh, for the record, after I sent this, it took me back to this post, not the top of the page.

On an unrelated note, I think you guys spelt register wrong on the fancy new main page...
I dare not go back and double check given how slow my computer is running at the moment...:grumpy:

You're right :ohmy:

I was hit with the "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" when I just tried to follow the arrow button on the main forum page.

Yeah I'm getting the same error message for this thread... for a lot of threads actually.

Just a heads up on this. The last version of the software basically required all hacks to be hard coded into the software. This of course made upgrading a real life nightmare because you had to dig through about a hundred files to find your hacked code and then find where to put it in the new version. This didn't even take into account template edits.

This version however allows you to install hacks (or products/plugins as they are called now) virtually into the code. This means you generally do not have to physically alter the code, you just install a plugin or product. So there are many mods we can install without usually affecting further upgrades.

At the vbulletin.org website, you can find many mods for VB 3.7. Now these mods are made by just average joes and are not warrantied or backed by anyone. There are many hacks that are buggy and sub standard but there are a few that make the forums so much better.

In general, we will try to keep mods down to a minimum because they do use resources. For techies, basically most plugin code is executed in the eval() function which is 10X slower than just running the code.

Example of a product? The blogs here are a product, although an actual official product of the forum developers.

So it's possible but you don't want to go crazy with it....I think it would be nice to get our old hacks back then, if good "mods" of them exist or whatever. Especially local timezone - Interference is such an international place, and a lot of us use our locations in a rather abstract sense, so it's nice to know when a poster you're responding to will be awake, etc.

:love: :giggle:

mainpage.jpg

:hug: You guys are doing a great job, I haven't had this much fun exploring in ages! :up:

^ :laugh:! Hilarious!

You're right :ohmy:

The typo queen spots a typo! Awesome, I win! :hi5:

So it's possible but you don't want to go crazy with it....I think it would be nice to get our old hacks back then, if good "mods" of them exist or whatever. Especially local timezone - Interference is such an international place, and a lot of us use our locations in a rather abstract sense, so it's nice to know when a poster you're responding to will be awake, etc.

:yes::up:

And I have to admit, I'm trying to let forum jump grow on me, but I still really prefer the whole line of links way...:reject:

Also, I know this has already been brought up awhile back, but will we be changing it so when you go to the last page of threads, you're taken to the bottom of the page not the top?
Or is that something that is only happening to me too..:grumpy:

PS. This is my first time using the multi-quote! Hurray! :hi5:

I noticed the typo too, but never mentioned it. You win! :hi5:

This got buried earlier, so I'll ask again:

I have a question about the Interference home page. Up in the URL area, there used to be a white "I" icon, now it's a black and blue "R." Any significance to the R? I don't really care what the icon looks like, I'm just curious.

Also, I know this has already been brought up awhile back, but will we be changing it so when you go to the last page of threads, you're taken to the bottom of the page not the top?
Or is that something that is only happening to me too..:grumpy:

Nope, it's happening to me too.

Is there still message tracking for PMs? I see there's a link to look at tracked messages, but none of the PMs I've sent since the change seem to be tracked. In case I had to turn it back on, I looked to see where I would do this, and I can't find it.

Not a big deal, just wondering. :)

I have a question about the Interference home page. Up in the URL area, there used to be a white "I" icon, now it's a black and blue "R." Any significance to the R? I don't really care what the icon looks like, I'm just curious.

url.jpg

Is that what you're talking about???

:reject: I think I'm having a bit tooo much fun with my screen shots today!! :lol:

:ohmy: Woah....just realised my status is all up the wop!! What's with the amp;amp; in it???

Last edited:
Oooh I just gained an extra amp; without even trying! I'm going to be totally amped today!! :yes:

Ooh yours is pretty Lila.....:giggle:

Mine was like that too, it's when you use those different alt combo's to get different symbols like the tm in mine and stuff. ( ie ♥ ♣ ♠ ♂)

I think the codes musta gotten screwed up in the transer, you just have to go manually redo your status in your profile options.

Last edited:
Well let us know when the galleries are fixed. I'd like to make one :)

btw... is there an easy way to check the whole premium status thing on our accounts? It would be nice if there was somewhere we could go to check our premium status and expiration date etc.. I don't know if I need to renew or what :reject:

:whistle: not trying to be a pest or anything....

Is there going to be an option to 'Go To' whatever page number you want? That was really handy if there were a lot of pages and you could just type in the number you wanted....

:ohmy: I just noticed that when I get an email to say that there is a new reply to a thread I've subscribed to, the email includes that new post!! :up: What a timesaver!!!

The only way I could get to my gallery was to go through the pages and then when I found mine, only the last pic I put in it was showing.
Same here, but when I clicked on that pic (not its title, but the actual pic) it opened up my whole gallery. I'm guessing this will all be fixed eventually, but for now at least it looks like you can access the existing galleries that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom