New edition of Niall Stokes Book - Stories behind every U2 song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah. The last edition has the HTDAAB songs. I have about 5 copies of this book. The cover always seems to have outdated pics for some reason. It ususally comes out in September with the updated edition. If you don't have the HTDAAB edition then I think it would be better to wait till this version comes out because it will have the NLOTH songs too.

Yeah. The last edition has the HTDAAB songs. I have about 5 copies of this book. The cover always seems to have outdated pics for some reason. It ususally comes out in September with the updated edition. If you don't have the HTDAAB edition then I think it would be better to wait till this version comes out because it will have the NLOTH songs too.

Cool. Maybe I'll wait until the Songs of Ascent edition comes out ;]

I've only read the first couple of entries for NLOTH songs so far. Will post any other interesting facts as I read it (just got it in the post today!). He states that Magnificent was originally called "French Disco"! Maybe I missed that one in an earlier thread on possible song titles, but I wasn't aware of that one.

I wish this guy would just print individual versions of every album so I don't have to keep re-buying this book every time.

I wish this guy would just print individual versions of every album so I don't have to keep re-buying this book every time.

I agree! Such interesting stories, though. I just wish he would put the lyrics to each song in it, as well.

I think 'french disco' simply referred to the groove of the music, obviously predating the lyric/theme.

Was wondering whether there would be a new edition coming out. Good to hear that there is one.

The book is in a hybrid paperback/hardback format this time and is much smaller, more the size of a novel. I've also bought it every time a new album comes out. LOL!

Sexy Boots was originally called "Four Letter Word" before morphing into "Sexy Boots" and then finally "Get On Your Boots".

Bono began the album with two themes of "reverie" and revelry". The first section (1st four songs) was the reverie section and they felt they needed the middle section to be the revelry section or the "rubber soul" part of the record as Bono puts it. So despite what it may seem it may be a bit unfair to criticise them for just throwing in a few typical singles type songs near the end, as it seems it was in the plan all along.

White As Snow was the start of the band working on songs with the idea of "future hymns" in mind, led by Lanois. Which ties in with the possible direction of Songs of Ascent.

As we know already, Tripoli was the original working title of Fez-Being Born.

I have only one edition, the one that contains the Bomb lyrics, but I'd love to have the new one, too. It's a little unfortunate that they didn't print the lyrics of the actual songs, that would make it a really great book. Apart from that, it's interesting, but in the end I like to have my own interpretation of the songs and don't rely to much about what the others say, band included.

What I've been wondering is - is there gonna be a new edition of 'U2 Show' released, since it was too early to both the Vertigo and 360 tours??

He states that Magnificent was originally called "French Disco"! Maybe I missed that one in an earlier thread on possible song titles, but I wasn't aware of that one.

Bono first let slip with this tidbit in an interview with French radio station NRJ in February.

These story's behind the songs are always pretty interesting because you can interpretate a U2-song in so many ways.

ohh maybe I can find this when I visit TO..because Quebec is slow with new releases sometimes...:)

Into the Heart

does anyone know if there will be an updated version of this book by Niall Stokes? last edition was after Vertigo i believe.

is this new version just adding content on NLOTH to the old editions of the book or has the author edited out old content? in other words, does one need to have older editions to get certain information about older songs?

I have only one edition, the one that contains the Bomb lyrics, but I'd love to have the new one, too. It's a little unfortunate that they didn't print the lyrics of the actual songs, that would make it a really great book. Apart from that, it's interesting, but in the end I like to have my own interpretation of the songs and don't rely to much about what the others say, band included.

But that's not the purpose of these books at all, the MEANING of the songs, but, more the story behind them, how they came to be, etc. Sometimes some meaning is included, but that's not the norm.

Back
Top Bottom