New album talk: I heard that it was big but this... is really big

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This gives the flake a run for it's money...

galaxy_ripple_wr.jpg

....and if you so wish the UBerFlake Box Set

british-cadbury-s-99-flake-144-bars-ice-cream-style--1543-p.jpg

Seriously. If I wasn't already convinced by this that ice cream needs to become part of my day very soon.
edgeicecreambray.jpg

I mean...

A) U2 have never written that way. You would think they could, but they don't, and never have. They are very uncomfortable with that, and aren't going to change anytime soon.

B) I don't know how Sometimes, Miracle Drug, or City of Blinding Lights sounds like "retro" u2, but okay

C) if they put out an album that sounds like U2, they'll sell millions upon millions of copies

a) They could, if they had such producer. Which they did, with Rubin (I think that was just a few songs around the U218 release time...I don't think Rubin sessions were legitimate "full on U2 album" recording). And the band has since said they'd like to work with him again. Maybe that's just them being polite, but that's different compared to them dropping most of Chris Thomas songs on the early Bomb, issuing severa more of those songs later and...never discuss Thomas again.

eta: All we heard from Rubin was a cover, Saints, and obviously the most single-like song they had at the time for U218, WITS.

b) Pretty much everything on Bomb except Sometimes, Vertigo and All because of you is retro U2. Borrowing from JT/UF era U2 mostly with nods to 90's and 00's U2.

c) They already did that. While it did sell, it's one of the least popular albums in their own fandom, and artistically a complete retread. Which would defeat the whole purpose of bringing a brand new producer to the game, at this stage in their career.

Okay, I'm not being argumentative here but I am curious.
a)

b) Pretty much everything on Bomb except Sometimes, Vertigo and All because of you is retro U2.

What parts of the U2 catalogue are Love and Peace and A Man and a Woman retreading? I thought that these were referencing classic styles that have not really been part of their work.

AMAAW sounds like something off ATYCLB; U2 does pop - like OOTS.

LAPOE - Zooropa era U2 in the intro, and that riff is something Edge might have thought up in the 90's.

Seriously. If I wasn't already convinced by this that ice cream needs to become part of my day very soon.
edgeicecreambray.jpg

I know Bono was big on space travel, but now he's obviously morphing into time travel. They made Michael J. Fox look a lot bigger in this photo, but clearly the album has a Back to the Future theme.

a) They could, if they had such producer. Which they did, with Rubin (I think that was just a few songs around the U218 release time...I don't think Rubin sessions were legitimate "full on U2 album" recording). And the band has since said they'd like to work with him again. Maybe that's just them being polite, but that's different compared to them dropping most of Chris Thomas songs on the early Bomb, issuing severa more of those songs later and...never discuss Thomas again.

I usually stay away from this place, but over the years I've heard a lot about you. And, true to form, you're being obtuse here, either deliberately or not.

They had such a producer, yes, but up until that point in their careers, they had only worked in one particular fashion. While it's not impossible, do you know how difficult it for humans at a certain age to change lifelong habits? Very, very difficult. If you work one way for most of your life, changing in your 40s or 50s is not as easy as saying "get the right producer!"

To me, at this point, it is anything pre-Joshua Tree. I get the feeling that's the general consensus. It will change over time too. The rule is: If the mullet is still in play, it's retro.

It always used to be that way for me too, but I'm going to say it's actually pre-Beanie. (Edge's beanie that is). Because anything before that now looks darn retro anyway.

AMAAW sounds like something off ATYCLB; U2 does pop - like OOTS.

LAPOE - Zooropa era U2 in the intro, and that riff is something Edge might have thought up in the 90's.

You mean AMAAW sounds like it "could have been on ATYCLB"?

As for LAPOE the intro was very Eno'esque, and as for the overall guitar work it is just that cool grinding guitar that Edge has experimented with before. I don't find it terribly dated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom