New Album Discussion/Speculation Continued...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're at the point where we read into the quality of the new music and attempt to figure out when the new album will be released based on how enthused Bono sounds doing a 20+ long minute telephone interview.

//slowly walks into ocean

This interview is typical Bono-speak. He's being deliberately coy. The discussions and plans internally still say album March 2014 and tour right on its heels.

So, prevarication. Maybe possibly even self parody?

Welcome to U2's mid life crisis.

People do live through these, right?

meant trolling tongue-in-cheek, with our alan cross spat.

this is what i'm referring to:
RUMOR: Universal Italy Says No U2 Album in 2013

"According to our source inside the record company Universal Italy the new U2 album definitely will not come out this year. This would seem to confirm another rumor mentioned in the news yesterday that suggests the release in March 2014."

so, with what you're saying + this + what bono said today (unless he lies and is in an underground bunker watching LOST and Battlestar Galactica), March 2014 with a single in January seems likely

Gotcha. Agreed. Altho Im thinking early Feb for the single, but that's pure personal speculation.

We're at the point where we read into the quality of the new music and attempt to figure out when the new album will be released based on how enthused Bono sounds doing a 20+ long minute telephone interview.

//slowly walks into ocean

..a telephone interview conducted from Ghana, no less. I mean, if he'd called in right after band practice from Hanover Quay, sure, his enthusiasm would be directed differently I suppose. As it was, he took time out of an important mission trip - time out of activities he feels are very important.

Oh well if the album is not done it shouldn't be released. I want them to be happy with it. Lillywhite's comments are clear that the album wasn't fully baked.

Everybody is worried about the album being over produced but another error is an undercooked album. Many posters here prefer to listen to the unfinished versions (eg preferring Always to Beautiful Day) but I think they have bad taste or are mentally handicapped.

Guys, you think it sucks to be a U2 fan right now? Think about Pink Floyd fans...

4 years between The Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
7 years between A Momentary Lapse and The Division Bell
19 years and counting after The Division Bell :p ;)

Shut up, troll.
SHUT UP, TROLL!
shut UP, troll!
SHUT UP, troll!
shut up, TROLL!

Youre a real shinning gem on this site, guy.

You add so much insight and valuable information, it's truly unbelievable. Where would Interference be without the great Lazarus??

You can act like Iovine has nothing to do with this delay all you want but you know Im right. That's why it bothers you so much. Your heroes arent as free as youd like to think they are and its changing the very molecular structure of your fandom towards U2. I get it, and its ok.

But don't they have major contracts with Universal for albums and Live Nation for tours? They're big and all, but even big bands have to honor their contracts. So something has to happen at some point. Aren't there usually timelines to album contracts?

There is no obligation for U2 to ever release anything again. It's just if they do, they have to do it through Universal.

That^ is 100% true. The following is only my understanding but I am 95% confident this would be accurate.

The timeline concern would be with a band that the label has invested in and expects a timely return on their money. "You haven't given us an album in three years, we're dropping you" - sort of thing.

With U2, the label (would receive or) has more than received a return on their money and basically don't want to piss off such a cash cow anyway. In other words, U2 calls the timing shots. So in that regard, I would speculate there is no 'deadline', so to speak, at all, written in their contract. U2 wouldn't want it and Universal wouldn't want to try to 'bully' U2 like that. And frankly, all joke$ a$ide, U2 (as far as practically the entire music industry is concerned) has the best manager in the history of rock. It just wouldn't be in there, IMO.

But as for marketing and production/distribution, yes there would be a timing concern on the label's behalf. But that only begins when U2 delivers the finished album to Universal. Once that happens, the label calls the timing shots.

So assuming that hasn't happened (delivery of the new album to Universal), U2 can do whatever they want.

Back in June/July, I would've said a surprise release was very much on the cards. They sounded great, they looked great, they seemed pumped. I felt confident they'd drop a single with only 24hrs notice. Now...not so much. They look back to being in "vacation mode". Bono looks like he hasn't seen the inside of a gym since gawd knows when. I'd love to know what the heck transpired over the summer, coz something (possibly several things) doused their momentum with a freakin firehose.

Two points:

1. What if they're actually TRYING to look like that?

2. The Loch Ness monster is real

3. Zooropa was written by ancient aliens in Babylon and the government has hid the truth from us!

SHUT UP, TROLL!
shut UP, troll!
SHUT UP, troll!
shut up, TROLL!

Youre a real shinning gem on this site, guy.

You add so much insight and valuable information, it's truly unbelievable. Where would Interference be without the great Lazarus??

You can act like Iovine has nothing to do with this delay all you want but you know Im right. That's why it bothers you so much. Your heroes arent as free as youd like to think they are and its changing the very molecular structure of your fandom towards U2. I get it, and its ok.

Iovine has NOTHING to do with any delay.

Even a shitty U2 album will sell more than most other albums released around the we time (see No Line) and make Iovine and Universal's investors millions and millions of dollars.

If anything, Iovine is probably annoyed that the album is still not ready and won't be released in time for Christmas.

Any delay is the band and the band alone. Period.

I seriously doubt they would scrap the DM sessions, sounds like a just bit more tweaking and how can there be a delay if there's never been a confirmed release date? I appreciate them being careful not to disappoint us by promising a date and then missing it. Ofcourse they could help us with all this frustration by giving us a double album! ;). It's only been a little over 2 years since 360 ended and we got a few bonus new songs the year before atleast. I just have a feeling that this new album is going to change things up like Achtung did and I got re-energized by watching From The Sky Down a couple nights ago, forgot how good that was!

Two points:

1. What if they're actually TRYING to look like that?

2. The Loch Ness monster is real

3. Zooropa was written by ancient aliens in Babylon and the government has hid the truth from us!

Sorry, I seem to have misplaced my decoder ring. Did you actually have a point or was that some misguided attempt at snark?

Iovine was quoted as saying "I hope so" when asked if U2 were done, back in June.

I think they are done. Haven't seen them reported in a studio ONCE since then. That's what I'm going with, we shall see. Obviously this means I don't buy what Bono said as either accurate or even genuine. Par for the course.

That said, if the album is slated for 2014, it's for many reasons, but I don't think they have lost any confidence in the material. Bono's ever-present bullshit aside, remember what Gavin Friday said. He's not a known bullshitter in that regard. All this talk of U2 scrapping anything is nonsense. In 2003 they never stopped recording. They were TRYING to figure out the whole Chris Thomas thing before deciding it wouldn't work. I'll say it again, there is NO evidence that U2 have written and recorded anything since being in NYC in June.

Also, those of you that thought there wasn't anything to the timelines look pretty silly right about now. First news of 2014 happened just as the timelines said. Aug 20th. And this latest news from Bono? Five years to the day that NLOTH was announced for 2009. U2 are creatures of habit? Nah. No chance.

Iovine has NOTHING to do with any delay.

Even a shitty U2 album will sell more than most other albums released around the we time (see No Line) and make Iovine and Universal's investors millions and millions of dollars.

If anything, Iovine is probably annoyed that the album is still not ready and won't be released in time for Christmas.

Any delay is the band and the band alone. Period.
You dont understand what Im saying. Iovine didnt delay the album because of hitzzzz, he's making them rewrite songs that might piss his corporate buddies off. I hope you liked the watered down HTDAAB because thats what were getting in March.

You dont understand what Im saying. Iovine didnt delay the album because of hitzzzz, he's making them rewrite songs that might piss his corporate buddies off. I hope you liked the watered down HTDAAB because thats what were getting in March.

annnnnnd howwwww do we knowwww thissssssss?

This is why they need to lose these overblown, bloated tours. Instead of putting out albums of great music, they think they have to produce "hits" to make the tour viable. And U2's biggest hits came when they were simply being themselves. The best thing for this band would be to stop touring and just make music. The pressure of supporting these massive tours is killing them creatively. Reading between the lines of what Bono said...they have great music, but will it sustain a massive tour? How many albums really would, even the great ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom