New Album Discussion (Is Headache Going To The Superbowl?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Chris Martin could be the piano player on this version? He was in the studio with them a couple months ago.:ohmy:

I'm already seeing the "It's a soundtrack song so expectations can be lower" qualification, but consider this: we didn't have to say that of Hold Me, Thrill me or the Ground Beneath Her Feet.

What's this "we" shit? You call U2 fans whores, then claim to speak for everyone?

The stones on this guy.

My theory is that this is the first single off the new album. But they are going to wait and see if it takes off or not. If it does, great and if it doesn't, no big deal, it's just a movie song. Testing the waters. I think the last album's mediocre reception has them gun shy...

My theory is that this is the first single off the new album. But they are going to wait and see if it takes off or not. If it does, great and if it doesn't, no big deal, it's just a movie song. Testing the waters. I think the last album's mediocre reception has them gun shy...

That makes no sense whatsoever... How could you have a first single off the new album, but without announcing it's the lead single off the new album?

I think it's just like Ground, soundtrack song will probably show up as a bonus song on the next album.

.... but the movie's releasing now, so of course a song from its soundtrack would be released now.

Then why release a lyric video that could potentially go viral? Why make a big deal about the first DJ playing it? Why not just let the soundtrack release with no fanfare, under the radar? If there's an album coming out in spring, the first single is a month or so away...just seems like a lot of work for such bad timing.

Then why release a lyric video that could potentially go viral? Why make a big deal about the first DJ playing it? Why not just let the soundtrack release with no fanfare, under the radar? If there's an album coming out in spring, the first single is a month or so away...just seems like a lot of work for such bad timing.

I think they're just testing the waters with the new media, they got burned last time around and haven't exactly been up to par when it comes to using this medium. I think in that sense, yeah they are testing the waters, but first single off the album? IF SO, this would be the most epic fail in promotion history. You don't release a single advertise it for a movie and then say "just kidding".

That does it - I'm officially scared. This song is terrible. Boring. Weak. Trite. Forgettable. It's the ABSOLUTELY WRONG direction I was hoping for...

If this song is indicative of the new album, and not a soundtrack throwaway, then I will officially declare The National as my favorite band (although they have been my unofficial favorite for several years).

Seriously, U2 disappeared for 3 years for this shite?

I actually thought you were imitating other posters in this thread with that post.

That does it - I'm officially scared. This song is terrible. Boring. Weak. Trite. Forgettable. It's the ABSOLUTELY WRONG direction I was hoping for... If this song is indicative of the new album, and not a soundtrack throwaway, then I will officially declare The National as my favorite band (although they have been my unofficial favorite for several years). Seriously, U2 disappeared for 3 years for this shite?

Really?

To each his own, but this is a very strong reaction.

It's not as if it's anything more than just a 3 and a half minute song anyway.

Really?

To each his own, but this is a very strong reaction.

I've been a fairly strong defender of U2' s recent stuff. The lyrics have been bad but the music has still been great. But this is about as "safe" as you can get. I mean - this is Nickleback territory.

Perhaps my reaction is a bit strong. But damnit - I wanted something that sounded new - something that would shock me like The Fly did. Something that would say, hey - we're not dead yet.

This sounds like just about any modern rock/adult contemporary out there today. There's nothing fresh. Bono's autotuned and mixed "perfectly" - while the edge somehow vanishes into the background - with surprisingly no new sounds coming from the mountains of equipment...

If this is what they're giving us - it's honestly best to call it a career. It just may turn out that Achtung Baby was both a blessing and a curse...

If it was a first single, yeah, I could understand your point of view. But it's a soundtrack song, I don't think that many of them are going to blow your socks off.

It's just one song.

I've been a fairly strong defender of U2' s recent stuff. The lyrics have been bad but the music has still been great. But this is about as "safe" as you can get. I mean - this is Nickleback territory.

Perhaps my reaction is a bit strong. But damnit - I wanted something that sounded new - something that would shock me like The Fly did. Something that would say, hey - we're not dead yet.

This sounds like just about any modern rock/adult contemporary out there today. There's nothing fresh. Bono's autotuned and mixed "perfectly" - while the edge somehow vanishes into the background - with surprisingly no new sounds coming from the mountains of equipment...

If this is what they're giving us - it's honestly best to call it a career. It just may turn out that Achtung Baby was both a blessing and a curse...
Has The National given you a Fly? This is what I find so strange, you constantly want reinvention from U2 but you settle for the same with other bands... WTF?

And Bono autotuned? Are you serious? Where do you think he's autotuned?

I can't hear any autotune.
I like the song. I would liken it to WITS or Sweetest Thing. Very poppy, quite safe, but catchy as hell. And I like what Adam is doing.
A career highlight? Hell no, but good enough for a non album song. I do think this is an edited version though. This seems quite obvious in the middle section.

I am genuinely scared of what people actually expected of this? Maybe the people who don't like it actually only liked Achtung baby and pop?

Maybe the people who don't like it actually only liked Achtung baby and pop?

lol.

You seem to keep assuming things and making blanket statements. Quit doing that! People's tastes are more complex than that. If somebody doesn't like your precious new U2 song, it is okay. You don't have to start racking your brains about it wondering why they don't like it!!1

I still think it is a nice enough pleasant pop song for a film. Nothing more, nothing less.

lol. You seem to keep assuming things and making blanket statements. Quit doing that! People's tastes are more complex than that. If somebody doesn't like your precious new U2 song, it is okay. You don't have to start racking your brains about it wondering why they don't like it!!1 I still think it is a nice enough pleasant pop song for a film. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ok

I can't believe how worked-up people can get over this simple soundtrack song. It's ok to not like a U2 song, for whatever reasons, but bashing it as if it's the worst song ever made is a bit over the top. Seriously, I think some people here have never heard really bad music.

There is a certain level of negativity that is just too much. It's ridiculous how emotional some can get over this issue. Some people here keep forgetting that it is a song for a movie and it fits the project very well, if you ask me. I wouldn't mind it to be a bit longer and I don't like the fade out at the end, but apart from that I think it's a truly beautiful song, not overly phenomenal, but not bad either. After all this wait, it's good to have them back.

The band should release what they feel like releasing. It's not very realistic to assume they are interested in making music to please a minority of always super critical fans who have overly high expectations. U2 have a very wide fan range and it's impossible for them to please everyone. That's not their job. They should do what they want to do and if some fans have difficulties sleeping at night because they feels disappointed, that's not the band's problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom