New Album Discussion 9 - Larry needs new arms, ba rum pa pum pum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Songs of Ascent is a concept that Bono just can't let go of but doesn't actually exist in any real form.

That's the only sane and reasonable conclusion we can take from an "album" they've been saying is nearly finished and is incredible, without us hearing anything from it (other than Soon) for nearly 14 years now.

I think Songs of Ascent is a concept that Bono just can't let go of but doesn't actually exist in any real form.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the full extent of SoA is just some sketches bono and Edge recorded on a phone. Or if it's an idea Bono loves but hasn't sold the band on whatsoever (hence why Bono name-drops it every time they release a new, unrelated album).

But from the recent NYtimes interview:
"My phone here is packed with new songs. We were tempted to put them out – out of competition."
"When we’re in the room together with Larry and Adam, it’s great. I’ll play you one. This is a great one."
"We almost finished this album called Songs of Ascent which we’re not putting out. We’re going to put out a rock ‘n’ roll album. So we’re not putting this out, but I’m telling you it’s awesome."
"Didn’t scrap it, just held it."

Gives me the impression the band might have pursued it a little recently alongside the rock album they've been making, or kept tracks from the rock album sessions for SoA. And given this talk of deliberately holding back material, and the context of the band getting older, I get the impression there may be a plan, at least currently (granted, plans change), to put out SoA as their final album.

Those are basically a "Greatest Hits of Things Bono Says" which ultimately never come to fruition in any tangible way.

Fair enough, can't argue with that :lol:

I do still think there might be something to the fact that Bono keeps namedropping this album, but not in a 'this is what's next' kind of way, but more like "we have this idea but don't want to put it out just yet".

(Though I accept it's just as likely if not more that it all just exists in his head)

The opening lines on the album will be “this is a title Meredith Monk stole from us. We’re stealin it back.”

Kidding, there will be no opening lines because the album never has and never will exist.

Best of Bono talking :lol:

AppropriateImperturbableDore-max-1mb.gif

I have Sirius and listen to U2-X radio and just had the dreadful realization that this must be what Edge is talking about when he says “We’re really excited about what we’re working on now. It’s really powerful.”

Back
Top Bottom