New Album Discussion 9 - Larry needs new arms, ba rum pa pum pum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The TikTok user is TheFly90 - I think all they did was take the Bono book tour audio snippets and tack them over the promo video just released yesterday.. they also did 40 too

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFo8vjhq/

And yeah I guess that shouldn't have been so hard for my still 30something acting ass lol

yea that's exactly what he did

for me - I'm choosing to see Songs of Surrender as the product as band curious about itself. I can't see this as a lazy endeavor. Why do this, if not to challenge them creatively in some way? They know it's not to sell records or support a tour - so it's not for money. Maybe contractual obligation? If so then why do 40 songs?

The fact that Edge is leading this is very telling, to me. I wouldn't be surprised if it some ways it rejuvenates his creativity, which has felt tired to my ears over recent releases

And I think the work they've done here will inform whatever new music follows. If so, what might be the takeaways?

Maybe a focus on arrangement over production - where the band, the performance and musicianship take centre-stage. They've already alluded that this is an aim of the their next record (see comments from Tedder)

Maybe a focus on intimacy over bombast or bigness - where they seek to connect via different means. Not something that's been their strength in the past save for a few glorious examples (Running to Standstill, comes to mind). It will be fascinating to see if they pull this off with any sort of consistency on SOS

bingo.

even springsteen merely put out a compilation album to accompany his book. say what you want about the quality - the one thing it isn't is lazy.

for me - I'm choosing to see Songs of Surrender as the product as band curious about itself. I can't see this as a lazy endeavor. Why do this, if not to challenge them creatively in some way? They know it's not to sell records or support a tour - so it's not for money. Maybe contractual obligation? If so then why do 40 songs?

The fact that Edge is leading this is very telling, to me. I wouldn't be surprised if it some ways it rejuvenates his creativity, which has felt tired to my ears over recent releases

And I think the work they've done here will inform whatever new music follows. If so, what might be the takeaways?

Maybe a focus on arrangement over production - where the band, the performance and musicianship take centre-stage. They've already alluded that this is an aim of the their next record (see comments from Tedder)

Maybe a focus on intimacy over bombast or bigness - where they seek to connect via different means. Not something that's been their strength in the past save for a few glorious examples (Running to Standstill, comes to mind). It will be fascinating to see if they pull this off with any sort of consistency on SOS

I hope you're right about the bolded part. It sounds to me like he put more effort into that new version of Pride than he did on SOE, what with it's multiple additional keyboard players and guitarists on each song and all.

It would be interesting to see if or how this informs their new music. In a way this projects seems to pick up where White As Snow and Cedars of Lebanon left off. I have a hard time believing that they've actually kicked their habit of trying to record hits, but we'll see.

That's a very insightful take and I'm going to go with it. Makes a lot of sense.

This version of Pride really did nothing for me. A quasi-interesting ending isn't enough to warrant repeated spins. Did enjoy Bono singing in his lower register, though.

Looking forward to the full album nonetheless. We're bound to get at least some good stuff, given the number of songs on this thing.

Are all these songs going to be acoustic/stripped down, though? Don't want to be presumptuous, but it's difficult to get excited about this thing if so...

On a separate note, last summer Bono mentioned that they didn't have a producer yet for the upcoming rock album, and that they're looking for a Mutt Lange, AC/DC type producer.

Who do you all reckon would be the best or most likely person the band might end up working with to create that sort of sound?

Steve Albini.

From the clips we’ve heard so far, there are some nice things here, but my initial reaction was that it’s all feeling really…late. The moment for a stripped back intimate collection worked on through lockdown was December 2020, I think.

Still, I’m glad they’re doing something. I look forward to the rest of it.

This version of Pride really did nothing for me. A quasi-interesting ending isn't enough to warrant repeated spins. Did enjoy Bono singing in his lower register, though.

Looking forward to the full album nonetheless. We're bound to get at least some good stuff, given the number of songs on this thing.

Are all these songs going to be acoustic/stripped down, though? Don't want to be presumptuous, but it's difficult to get excited about this thing if so...

from the little we've heard of the other 26 or so song clips, no, not all are acoustic. Many are though. If you've not heard the clips (from the audiobook) let me know and I'll share.

Obviously we don't know for sure, but if they are mostly acoustic, I do think that it would have been interesting to really mix it up. Like was mentioned doing a country-tinged Angels.

Some dreamy atmospheric synths on a song like Dirty Day, or some really dirty, industrial-esque sound on some of the older tunes like Out of Control... Just something that would be a bit more surprising and unexpected.

This is the kind of thing U2 used to give away as a subscriber gift.

Like the JT throwback tour and the upcoming Vegas residency, it's the kind of looking back U2 used to despise. Not that there's anything wrong with it, it's normal at this stage of a band's career (not that many have had U2's longevity). Just...ironic, that it's something this particular band spent so much time fighting against.

"They say that what you mock, will surely overtake you..."

They are the best band of all time if they retired 20 years ago. Its all gravy since then and guess what, they keep putting out some great products that like Breaking Bad quality and sometimes it's Crystal Pepsi.

But most bands had 1 hit song and are now doing cruise ships or having to tour with 3 other bands so they can have enough songs to play together.

i don't know what the argument is really about other than say Spielberg's current movies aren't as good as the 30 years of non stop dominance that came before in his early career. He's losing to himself. The way some of you are comparing U2 songs to U2 songs. It's the same guys!

U2 is being punished by some fans literally for still being together, relevant and giving a shit.

I agree that SoS is likely a sign of things to come, but I reckon they may branch off in two different directions for the next two albums (assuming they only have two albums left, which probably isn't a crazy assumption at this point).

The next album is clearly being designed as a 'fuck-off-rock-and-roll' album, bringing back the big guitar sounds and designed for stadiums. But they've evidently been making music at the same time for Songs of Ascent, which was always described as more spiritual and contemplative. I reckon the intimate, stripped back style of SoS will resurface in SoA, after the next album.

I get the impression they're channeling different styles and sounds into each project, which could be pretty cool if we get two uncompromising albums around the same time. And it might be quite cathartic for them to have two projects that don't hold back at what they're made for.

(Of course, knowing this band, another possibility is that the next album has a bit of everything. They always cover a lot of sonic ground in each album, especially later in their career.)

I have a lot of thoughts, most of which will materialize once this thing is actually released.

I do not have a problem with U2 looking back, and I would even say something like this does not go against what they've said in the past. In fact, I think this is entirely consistent with not wanting to be a band that 'looks back': they are literally redoing songs. This is not remotely a legacy play. A legacy play would be an explicitly labeled Greatest Hits tour mixed with countless Greatest Hits albums. This is definitely not that. The audience for this is U2 and their fans. In that way, I commend it.

I'm really just kind of over the discourse. I'm allowed to think this is representative of a toothless U2. If I don't think this version of Pride is very good, it's not because I'm upset it's not a new song, or missing the fact that the original still exists, or any number of strawmen that have been posted up in this thread: it's because I don't find it very interesting. I wish U2 wouldn't waste their time revisiting old songs and not really doing anything with them. It'd be different if this was the only thing U2 was capable of, but we've seen their sheer versatility and their ability to work within different genres. It's just ultimately disappointing that this is how they're reemerging after 5 years.

Unfortunately, I would think the next new record is going to be their last after this grand look back of re-imagining 40 songs throughout their career along with Bono’s book.

It is a bit maddening if they spent the majority of lockdown on this. They could have been writing and recording new material (which I’m sure they touched on). Maybe not an albums worth, but they could have given a lot of new content out to the fans.

I doubt putting out something like this was U2's first choice. I'm certain they'd prefer to release original material, but going down this road makes me think they're struggling with new songs. Maybe God has left the room.

And Bono has been saying the next record was going to be a straight head rock & roll, guitar record since like 5 albums ago.

c1564hcc8nba1.jpg

Last edited:
So the Edge remix U2 album is upon us. Pity this wasnt released earlier in the pandemic, and is now forcefully promoting...SOS ? Not with 12 song replaced. Its Edges pet project and does not need all the promo hoopla. Not sure how it is supposed to Light up their creativity but...

I liked
EdgeWowy on Colbert. The last minute of EdgePride is good. EdgeBeatifulday is boring.

They are the best band of all time if they retired 20 years ago. Its all gravy since then and guess what, they keep putting out some great products that like Breaking Bad quality and sometimes it's Crystal Pepsi.

But most bands had 1 hit song and are now doing cruise ships or having to tour with 3 other bands so they can have enough songs to play together.

i don't know what the argument is really about other than say Spielberg's current movies aren't as good as the 30 years of non stop dominance that came before in his early career. He's losing to himself. The way some of you are comparing U2 songs to U2 songs. It's the same guys!

U2 is being punished by some fans literally for still being together, relevant and giving a shit.
Good to have you back, sir

I have high hopes for this album -- I'm thinking maybe not all of course, but maybe half the songs could be close to what LOVE did for The Beatles.

I like the snippet of BD 2.0 better than Pride 2.0, which is the song that literally made me a fan of U2 back in high school days. So they couldn't Yoko Ono that song if they tried. And to some on here, they did.

Last edited:
I doubt putting out something like this was U2's first choice. I'm certain they'd prefer to release original material, but going down this road makes me think they're struggling with new songs. Maybe God has left the room.

And Bono has been saying the next record was going to be a straight head rock & roll, guitar record since like 5 albums ago.

Adam has already said they can't/won't write & record an album unless they have a tour to play it on, so that does explain why there's no new material yet.

Of course, things like saying Songs of Ascent is finished, but it's being shelved because that's not what they want to release just now is, quite frankly, maddening, but unsurprising. How many years have they been talking about this album for now? 13 or 14?!

I'm just going to relax and enjoy this upcoming album for what it is.

These reimaginings far better than getting some MOR BBC Radio 2 nonsense like Ahimsa and Your Song Ruined My Life. Utter dreck, probably the two worst releases of their career.

If that's their standard, I'd rather they retire. But before they go, hearing reimaginings of some deep cuts will be fascinating, and the hits have been done well too. I was surprised at how taken I was with Pride . Surprised to see Dirty Day and God Will Send His Angels, can't wait to hear these.

Back
Top Bottom