New Album Discussion 9 - Larry needs new arms, ba rum pa pum pum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dammit! I expected Popmart 2.0 but this time, pyrotechnics, and glow in the dark granny glasses!

i dunno it matches their look from the era

attachment.php

Can’t wait for the reissue.
IMG_7320.JPG

I’m curious about If God Will Send His Angels. It could be better - the lyrics are pretty bad - but it could also be worse. Either way, it’ll be probably be radically different: the sci fi sounds and heavy groove will likely be ditched.

This Just In: U2 fan wishes they still sounded like they did in the early 90's while coincidently wishing they personally had the physique and energy they had in their 30's.

Last edited:
Fuck...um.....anyone else just notice all of U2's back catalog is no longer on streaming platforms?

I’m curious about If God Will Send His Angels. It could be better - the lyrics are pretty bad - but it could also be worse. Either way, it’ll be probably be radically different: the sci fi sounds and heavy groove will likely be ditched.

Me too

I wouldn’t be surprise if they record it as an old school country song. Like, early 70s Willie Nelson or Kris Kristofferson

Some of the reactions in here make it seem like the band has deleted the originals off of all streaming platforms and sent out cease and desist orders preventing anyone from listening to the old versions ever again.

The only place anyone is reacting like that is in your mind.

Are they releasing the full 40 songs to the streaming services on March 17 or will we be forced to buy the physical product? (I mean I will probably buy the physical product anyway, but on the last couple items, I got them digitally first and then got the CDs later).

I understand that the Vegas residency is supposed to be AB/Zooropa focused but I could see this album is being the jumping off point for their residency also.

They should just let Edge sing everything; he has the better voice

It's funny, I kind of felt that too! He sung a lot on this one. It may be true that Bono is a better singer now than he was in his youth, but his voice was better when he was younger.

It's funny, I kind of felt that too! He sung a lot on this one. It may be true that Bono is a better singer now than he was in his youth, but his voice was better when he was younger.

Edge is just consistently fine. Reminds me of the dude from The Shins.

It’s weird seeing the reaction outside of here to this release. Maybe it would have made more sense to release this alongside the book as it’s the perfect accompaniment in some ways. Those who haven’t heard the audio book might not even have been aware they’d done this,

I’m sure the lads will do just fine out of this though!

I get the feeling that a surprise instant release would have gone over better than this long build up.

Like if it went right to all our music accounts instantly? That would rock! Everyone would be happy with FREE music and if not they could quietly delete it.

What a great idea!

(Sarcastic Mix)

Some of the reactions in here make it seem like the band has deleted the originals off of all streaming platforms and sent out cease and desist orders preventing anyone from listening to the old versions ever again.

Don't give them any ideas! They might just George Lucas this sh#t.

It's one of my favorite songs! This Jew atheist loves it! And I love the lyrics.

But yeah I can't wait to see what they do with POP songs.

greatest hits albums receive promotional pushes, too. i'd still consider them as "side projects." choose whatever terminology you'd like - any way you slice it up - this isn't U2 pushing for relevance with the youths with embarrassing collaborations and overly peppy "radio friendly" songs.

this is the band looking to refresh and reverse the damage to their legacy that was caused by the stupid ass apple release (and most of what came after) by focusing on the thing that made them beloved in the first place - their songs.

***bono's book
***this album
***the letterman thing
***achtung/zootv revival

it's all part of a plan to rebuild their legacy before they release what is hopefully a very mature, adult sounding album to tour the world on.

if that makes them a "legacy" band? who gives a shit. they are. they're old. all old bands are, in some fashion. what did you expect an aging U2 to do? spend their dying days spinning out passenger volumes 2, 3 and 4?
This all day long. And, whatever you think about this project, it is far more interesting that a traditional greatest hits imo. Nothing will beat the originals but this gets points for creativity regardless for me.

Well I have given it repeated listens, took a break and then listen again. And I’m liking it more now. Hearing new different versions of songs that we’ve been loving for 20, 30 or more years is a bit jarring and can put people off at first.
But when I listen again, I was hearing it more for what it is than what it’s not.
I totally agree that this is much more interesting than another greatest hits. Better than the 90s best of where they tried to “finish” the songs from POP,

That promo pic of 3 Pop and one TUF portraits is the cover :doh::lol:

Jesus Christ. That’s so weird! Why not use pics from four different eras? Or four new pics? 20something Bono really sticks out among his late 30s bandmates.

It's because, at the end of all things, they've finally realized Pop for masterpiece it is.

Except for Bono. Goddamnit.

A few things, Monday is MLK holiday so that is prob why Pride is the lead. The audiobook has snippets of most of these songs so worth the purchase to preview. Most appear to be acoustic centric, lots of piano and with Bono in low register but I have found many to be interesting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom