New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what’s the list of things to watch?

1 little desk
2 Disney goes letterman
3 some doc with Bono and edge going breaking bad in the desert?

So what’s the list of things to watch?

1 little desk
2 Disney goes letterman
3 some doc with Bono and edge going breaking bad in the desert?

The only other thing I can think of is the piano room performance from yesterday.

The only other thing I can think of is the piano room performance from yesterday.

That wasn’t part of tiny desk? Jesus Christ. Spread this shit out. Most of your fans are already drunk.

I'm halfway through, and there's more to like here than I was expecting based on the tracks they released early. But my goodness, what did they do to the chorus of The Miracle?! I like the new arrangement, but thumbs down to those new words.

I’m just absolutely delighted with this album. It’s like a big hug. I don’t know how to express that in a way that doesn’t sound stupid, but I really love this. Even the songs I never really liked (Miracle Drug, The Miracle… guess I don’t care for miracles) are so charming on this album.

Most frustrating thing about this project is that it shows the songs were always there.

This obsession from Bono and Edge to redefine themselves as songwriters in the last 15 years in order to get away from this (false) narrative that they were hacks who used sonic wizardry to cover up average tunes is bizarre at best and creatively limiting at worst.

I don't think they ought to worry about how sonic experimentation impacts the creative process, they've always had natural songwriting tendencies to justify being adventurous.

Basically, they should screw Rick Rubin and his ill informed opinions, a man who hasn't produced a decent album in decades.

Most frustrating thing about this project is that it shows the songs were always there.

This obsession from Bono and Edge to redefine themselves as songwriters in the last 15 years in order to get away from this (false) narrative that they were hacks who used sonic wizardry to cover up average tunes is bizarre at best and creatively limiting at worst.

I don't think they ought to worry about how sonic experimentation impacts the creative process, they've always had natural songwriting tendencies to justify being adventurous.

Basically, they should screw Rick Rubin and his ill informed opinions, a man who hasn't produced a decent album in decades.

Thank you! Absolutely agree. Have some respect for the words? You mean the evocative poetry of their best work that he kinda downplays now in favor of pithy B-platitudes? FFS. Get out of your own way indeed.

This.

They clearly took issue with the criticisms - from Rubin and others - that they used smoke and mirrors to become huge.

This should prove for once and all that the songs are great on their own.

Wasn’t Rubin’s real issue is that he wanted the band to more or less have the songs written before they came to the studio?

Wasn’t Rubin’s real issue is that he wanted the band to more or less have the songs written before they came to the studio?

Both. He wanted songs ready and he said something along the lines of the band using atmospherics to hide that they don’t really have a song. Which was BS then and is laid bare by SOS, which is the most Rubin-sounding thing they’ve done.

So if you had to make the standard cd - what’s on it? Here’s mine:

1 Vertigo
2 Stories For Boys
3 Invisible
4 11 O’Clock
5 If God Will Send
6 Bad
7 Walk On
8 Red Hill Mining Town
9 Lights of Home
10 Dirty Day
11 Electrical Storm
12 The Miracle
13 The Fly
14 Stay
15 Two Hearts
16 Little Things

I’m loving most of them - I went in expecting to be able to scrape a 15 track version together to listen to, but I really don’t ‘dislike’ anything. The worst bits just seem unnecessary, but it’s all good. Maybe swap Get Out or Cedarwood Road for Moment of Surrender?

I'm still processing the album, there's a lot to get through - but I'm very impressed so far.

I just watched the documentary, which was great. It had quite a sweet message from Bono and Edge before the end credits, thanking Larry & Adam for letting them "go rogue with this one".

The performances were amazingly shot too, they should hire whoever did it for their next full band concert film.

I have to say, given all the lyrics that are rewritten that didn't need to be, I'm kind of disappointed that freedom still smells like a newborn baby's head and the air is still heavy as a truck.

F'n preach it.

This.

They clearly took issue with the criticisms - from Rubin and others - that they used smoke and mirrors to become huge.

This should prove for once and all that the songs are great on their own.

And it's just so bizarre and stupid that it was ever questioned in the first place. When The Best of 1980-1990 came out, the general reaction from everyone, critics and casuals alike was something to the effect of, "Oh yea--these songs are like, uniformly amazing, aren't they? This band clearly wrote pretty much the best songs of the '80s."

I (and most of us, I presume) personally think the same applies to the '90s, but at least with that decade's output you can understand why the accusation ("so eXperiMentaL") would be made [by dopes].

The live performance of One on the Letterman doc is phenomenal. Love the addition of the cello and Bono sings it beautifully. Wish this was the version on SOS.

Edge is wonderful on the album. All over the place he shines

Bono has some great moments as well, and then a few that clearly reflect the vocal was taken in one go and as raw as could be. There’s a few songs where his voice really brings down what was a wonderful tune. Basically anytime he tries to hit the falsetto nowadays. He needs studio magic or let edge take over

Overall much better listen than i was expecting

So if you had to make the standard cd - what’s on it? Here’s mine:

1 Vertigo
2 Stories For Boys
3 Invisible
4 11 O’Clock
5 If God Will Send
6 Bad
7 Walk On
8 Red Hill Mining Town
9 Lights of Home
10 Dirty Day
11 Electrical Storm
12 The Miracle
13 The Fly
14 Stay
15 Two Hearts
16 Little Things

I’m loving most of them - I went in expecting to be able to scrape a 15 track version together to listen to, but I really don’t ‘dislike’ anything. The worst bits just seem unnecessary, but it’s all good. Maybe swap Get Out or Cedarwood Road for Moment of Surrender?

Would be interested in seeing this list from others here. I'm working on mine. Getting close

MV5BMTA5MzU3NTE1MzJeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDU4ODM5NDEx._V1_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom