New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh man this is sounding good. Enjoying reading everyone's reactions. Is everyone listening on the New Zealand Youtube stream? I still can't find the album...

Alright, as much as I still have my qualms about changing the lyrics and in some cases the melodies, I can respect that they weren't just setting out to rerecord. They are definitely reinterpreting songs I've always thought would be untouchable. Still Haven't Found is a highlight for me and would have been a waaaaay better 2nd single. The effect of getting lulled into what seems to be a calm, non-threatening listening experience and then constantly being brought to attention by a change that is shockingly great. I was afraid it would just be Bono doing a bunch of off-the-cuff Bonoisms, but this is sophisticated stuff. Some of these word changes actually ARE better!

The end of Little Things, holy shit. It's not letting up. I can count on one hand the songs that bored me. Out of 40, that's a much better ratio than I was expecting.

I hope it's not just first day goggles.

Yeah work has unfortunately not let me get through most of it today. Disc 1 was good. I've been picking and choosing my adventure when I get a break.

Stay worked for me. So did Miracle Drug.

Don't love RHMT as much as others here. A worse version of JT30.

Call me a doomer, but The Little Things That Give You Away as the penultimate song sounds like a message. This version is excellent though.

I’d very much appreciate a PM. I can’t seem to get this VPN thing to work in my neck of the woods. I tried my local record store to see if they had it out early. No luck!

Hey guys, haven't been on here a long time. Totally out of touch with U2 things since SoE. Just knew that songs of surrender will drop on March 17. How are you guys listening to it? Can i get in on it. A PM maybe?

EDIT: thank you U2-family!

been in a work hole.

y'all got any more of them PMs? :wink:

Last edited:
Scathing:

These elevator muzak versions of past hits are a faux-hipster slog
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...ws/u2-songs-of-surrender-review-b2301654.html

U2 Songs of Surrender review – all the anthems, but smaller
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/mar/16/u2-songs-of-surrender-review

3 Stars, but it's the guy's album of the week, and says it falls between somewhere between the ZooTV tour and putting an album on every iPhone.

I don't care about reviews, and neither should you, but they are interesting and definitely will be posted here.

Back
Top Bottom