New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still have no idea what Invisible is trying to say and that's why it's just good not great to me. Of all the things Bono isn't and U2 isn't is Invisible. And they tend to write songs that are more personal than that.

That’s kind of the point of the song, invisible Paul becoming (all-too-)visible Bono and finding himself through the U2 audience. It strikes me as incredibly personal.

“Finally found my real name /I won’t be me when you see me again / No I won’t be my father’s son.”

C’mon, you went to a decent school!

That’s kind of the point of the song, invisible Paul becoming (all-too-)visible Bono and finding himself through the U2 audience. It strikes me as incredibly personal.

“Finally found my real name /I won’t be me when you see me again / No I won’t be my father’s son.”

C’mon, you went to a decent school!

What is this a bad college course?

It just feels like a B side they left off an album and put out for charity.

If it was written for RED than I assume it’s more about other people than himself.

What is this a bad college course?

It just feels like a B side they left off an album and put out for charity.

If it was written for RED than I assume it’s more about other people than himself.

Should’ve never been left off the album.
It’s core to the very *idea* of the album.
The song was the introduction to Act 2 of I+e.
The BOA tie-in was the Trojan horse to call attention to their new single. And it worked! ~3mm (?) OPT-IN downloads. But it wasn’t a “radio hit” so they got scared because They’re Dumb, then they wanted to win an Oscar and then Bono fell off a bike and then Bono and Tim Apple touched fingers and the whole thing went to shit. But it’s still a better song than some for the stuff that made the album.

Similar thoughts on my end. I do like the song and feel it's enough on it's own... and even warranted making the proper album. But I don't see it being a lead off single.

I suppose the Miracle wasn't much different though, as it also lacked that "oomph" hook to sort of send it up to the next level, if that makes sense. The first half of SOI is chalk full of I–V–vi–IV chord progressions though, which the band has relied on for singles over the years anyway. But the hooks seemed to come up a bit easier on ones like Every Breaking Wave and Song for Someone, imho. So those definitely made sense for single releases.

The Miracle is a frustrating one, you can tell they tried so hard to make that into a smash hit single. Reworking it, hiring different producers, getting Ryan Tedder to sculpt it into something tailor made for radio, but even on it's own terms I agree with you it just lacked a hook.

I actually love the 'oh-oh-oh' intro and backing vocals, even if they're quite shamelessly trying to invoke an audience singalong.

I still remember watching the Apple debut performance, and really loving the start of the song, and the anticipation when everything drops out right before the chorus, and then... I actually remember thinking "Uh oh. 5 years, multiple producers, hiring Tedder specifically to write a hit, and this is the best they could do?"

I think if they'd gone with a better vocal melody at that point the song could've been great, albeit an obvious appeal to the charts. Felt like Bono was most interested in saying those particular lyrics, even if he had to cram them into the chorus, and at the expense of a good melody.

The Miracle is a frustrating one, you can tell they tried so hard to make that into a smash hit single. Reworking it, hiring different producers, getting Ryan Tedder to sculpt it into something tailor made for radio, but even on it's own terms I agree with you it just lacked a hook.

I actually love the 'oh-oh-oh' intro and backing vocals, even if they're quite shamelessly trying to invoke an audience singalong.

I still remember watching the Apple debut performance, and really loving the start of the song, and the anticipation when everything drops out right before the chorus, and then... I actually remember thinking "Uh oh. 5 years, multiple producers, hiring Tedder specifically to write a hit, and this is the best they could do?"

I think if they'd gone with a better vocal melody at that point the song could've been great, albeit an obvious appeal to the charts. Felt like Bono was most interested in saying those particular lyrics, even if he had to cram them into the chorus, and at the expense of a good melody.

I felt exactly the same way, then I listened to EBW and was blown away - loved the vibe and the new chorus. Then I came on here and people trashed it.

Should’ve never been left off the album.
It’s core to the very *idea* of the album.
The song was the introduction to Act 2 of I+e.
The BOA tie-in was the Trojan horse to call attention to their new single. And it worked! ~3mm (?) OPT-IN downloads. But it wasn’t a “radio hit” so they got scared because They’re Dumb, then they wanted to win an Oscar and then Bono fell off a bike and then Bono and Tim Apple touched fingers and the whole thing went to shit. But it’s still a better song than some for the stuff that made the album.

It’s okay de. I see you. You’re not invisible.

Acoustic sessions Miracle is superior, IMO, b/c it maintains the storyline as more of a folk song, which it kinda is. The mythic beginning of the band being changed by music. The labored overproduction of the album track is the anthesis of The Ramones.

I was one of the few who preferred the i+e rendition of EBW over the album track and I still feel that way. The production on SOI undercuts some great songs and they realized it after the fact because… someone told them (?).

They need some honest outside opinions.

I felt exactly the same way, then I listened to EBW and was blown away - loved the vibe and the new chorus. Then I came on here and people trashed it.

Same here - I complain about Tedder a lot but he helped give that song one hell of a chorus to be fair.

This may have already been discussed, but can someone explain why Stay from SOS is just the original track:

This may have already been discussed, but can someone explain why Stay from SOS is just the original track:

It has - working theory is that the video was made to align with the original and just didn’t translate over to the new track. Any number of reasons why they might have used the original for the video, most likely is that when they needed to start it the mix was finalised, or possibly it was included later and something else dropped off.

It has - working theory is that the video was made to align with the original and just didn’t translate over to the new track. Any number of reasons why they might have used the original for the video, most likely is that when they needed to start it the mix was finalised, or possibly it was included later and something else dropped off.

Thanks

Invisible was a very solid tune and the version on the deluxe SOI with the extended intro would have made for a great album opener.

As for EBW, that song is phenomenal and I put it up there with their best material of the 80s and 90s(same goes for Little Things....incredible song and a disappointment it wasn't performed on tour).

Invisible was a very solid tune and the version on the deluxe SOI with the extended intro would have made for a great album opener.

As for EBW, that song is phenomenal and I put it up there with their best material of the 80s and 90s(same goes for Little Things....incredible song and a disappointment it wasn't performed on tour).

Is there an Invisible version on the deluxe SOI? Don't see it.

I love EBW. I think a lot of people want to automatically react negatively if Tedder was involved, but this is a damn good song, in my top 3 from SOI, along Sleep like a Baby and Troubles.

The only thing I don't like about The Miracle is the parenthetical title. If you go to all that work to make a highly accessible track as a lead-off single and then make the title of the song very specific to your own experience what are you doing?

Other than that, I really enjoy it. It speaks to me similarly to how Invisible does. U2 was the spark that woke me up as a musician because they were the sound that made some sense out of the world.

Also love it because well... Larry.

Is there an Invisible version on the deluxe SOI? Don't see it.

it's a hidden track at the end of the alternate Sleep Like A Baby

Of course you don't see it. It's Invisible!

fozzie-muppets.gif

Might be my largely indifferent feelings about the original talking, but that was...um...not great.

The reason it opened Act 2, was because it was cool as fuck for them to be invisible inside the screen! So if they had a song called Ghosted they would be flying high above the crowd like it's spiderman the musical... opps bad choice.

Back
Top Bottom