New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's not gloss over that 3 songs released from The Edge album, 1 from Bono and Zero from those other two fucks... obviously there's a conspiracy there that we should all read into...

Maybe The Edge drugged Bono and forced him to sing while high on Ambien!

I can finally tell everyone about my big news. I do an amazing version of Sunday Bloody Sunday that I did my own weird Al thing too so it’s Monday boring Monday.

'40 songs re-recorded by us, re-imagined by you.'

40 artists and creators from across the globe were commissioned by the band to create a video piece for each track on Songs of Surrender.

I've come here to chew bubble-gum and bitch about Bono's vocal-takes and after hearing the Horses preview, I'm all out of bad takes to bash.

So, yeah, guess I'll be over here chewing bubble-gum because that was actually pretty good.

Release the Mullen cut!

2j7jtkk.jpg

Let's not gloss over that 3 songs released from The Edge album, 1 from Bono and Zero from those other two fucks

Haha. This reminds me of a Paul McGuine$$ interview where he was talking about the early days and he says that Bono and Edge were clearly university material, but “the other two were not.”

Haha. This reminds me of a Paul McGuine$$ interview where he was talking about the early days and he says that Bono and Edge were clearly university material, but “the other two were not.”

He sometimes misses his clients--what he doesn't ever miss, is having clients.

The snippets we're starting to hear of other songs are very promising.

Could it be this band is not good at picking lead singles?

...Nah, probably imagining things.

The snippets we're starting to hear of other songs are very promising.

Could it be this band is not good at picking lead singles?

...Nah, probably imagining things.

Yep. They really opened themselves up to the criticism re not being as good as original versions by releasing all the untouchable songs first. When I get some time today I’ll look at the existing 11 o’clock clips because I think they will NEARLY knit together. It’s funny because after the audiobook clips, it didn’t excite me at all, but now hearing the falsetto but I think it sounds amazing.

Like - what were they thinking? I don’t mind the first three - I think the negative response has been akin to a Karen going apeshit to see the manager because she left it too long to eat her fries and they went cold, but then the BD clip, and the three newer clips from YouTube all sound great - even though it’s simple.

If they want to play these deeper cuts in this style as an SOS interlude, I wouldn’t be opposed. (Fuck The) Casuals wouldn’t recognize them either way, so what’s the harm.

Yep. They really opened themselves up to the criticism re not being as good as original versions by releasing all the untouchable songs first. When I get some time today I’ll look at the existing 11 o’clock clips because I think they will NEARLY knit together. It’s funny because after the audiobook clips, it didn’t excite me at all, but now hearing the falsetto but I think it sounds amazing.

I really want to like the falsetto on 11 o'clock. I'm really trying.

The thing about the criticism of SOS is that the only criticism I've seen is on fan forums and fan Facebook pages

Yeah it’s the hardcores that are going to really hate this project. Most of these mixes are pretty inoffensive and most non U2 fans are either going to like what they hear or not think much of it if they don’t.

For me as a younger fan that’s been obsessed with this band since 2008, I’m taking it for what it’s worth as it simply being an acoustic project. Most of the clips I have liked even tho they are never going to touch the original mixes. And I don’t believe that Bono and The Edge have set that expectation either like some of you are making it out to be. I think people need to just chill. Releasing Get On Your Boots as a lead single and the iTunes fiasco were legitimately detrimental to their legacy. An acoustic album of re-recordings in their 60’s? Nahhhhh

The thing about the criticism of SOS is that the only criticism I've seen is on fan forums and fan Facebook pages

Because no one else gives a shit.

Worse thing that happens is they play new or old music more on the radio -- get more fans. After they lose 2 or 3 current fans because of this album and 10 or so fans due to the Larry can Go Fuck Himself Vegas Tour.

Back
Top Bottom