NEVERMIND VS TEN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SweetOnU2

the invisible woman
I Have no idea if this has been discussed before, but what are your opinions on those two albums. "Nevermind" by Nirvana and "Ten" By Pearl Jam. Which in your opinion is better and why?

I was having this discussion with a friend of mine about this... and would like to know your opinions and thoughts!

------------------
Love, slowly stripped away
Love has seen its better day...

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Personal opinion is that Ten was better, but I am just a bigger Pearl Jam fan. Jeremy, Alive, Black and Even Flow still rates as some of their best work with Eddie in great lyrical and vocal form.

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimsom sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

It's hard to really pick which one is better, because in their own right they're both great classic albums. Plus musically they were coming from 2 different bands with totally different styles and influences.

But if I really think about it, I would prefer Ten over Nevermind. Ten was raw, a great raw rock album. Nervmind was punk in the sense, but it was just a bit too produced. I really like In Utero more than Nevermind.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I'd have to go with Ten also...remember buying it, having heard "Alive", "Evenflow" and "Jeremy" on radio...popping it in the stereo and hearing "Once" and saying wow this song rocks more than those other 3...
Top to bottom there isn't a weak song on the album.

Wow, no one has said Nevermind yet....

so I guess I'll be the first to do so!!!

Don't get me wrong, they're both Masterpieces but Nevermind is the one I def. play more often...

I think Nevermind is a masterpiece and is the best album of the 90's after AB and What's the Story Morning Glory by Oasis. Almost all the songs on it kick butt and are very well written musically and lyrically. I can listen to almost every song on it without skipping one. Ten is good, I like Evenflo, Jeremy and Alive. The rest of it isn't as good so as a whole I would have to say Nevermind is the better album. I have not liked anything Pearl Jam has done since Ten and I think they are waaaaayyyy over-rated.

I enjoy both of these classic albums but I prefer Nevermind.

------------------
~ME THREE

Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel

I find all of this interesting because I feel that Yield is Pearl Jam's best album, and In Utero is Nirvana's; and I don't think Oasis fits into the equation at all, there are so many better bands in the 90s

I suppose Nevermind is better than Ten

I also want to add that even though I think Pearl Jam has gone downhill since Ten who knows what would have become of Nirvana if they were not immortalized by Cobain's untimely death? Death makes heroes and a dead hero never lets you down, as John Lennon ironically once said. Would Nirvana still be great today if Kurt had lived? Maybe grunge would have survived and we never would have had to deal with rap metal!
But the possibility remains that they could also have become washed up and their legend ruined. That will never happen now of course. I do like Dave Groel's work with the Foo Fighters if that means anything as an extension of Nirvana's legacy.

I dont own either, lol but i do think that nevermind was perhaps a more influential piece of work than ten was, and i think that is often a better way of ranking albums, imho

Nevermind by a long shot. Not a bad song on there. I also prefer Nirvana's post punk, power pop by way of the Pixies style to Pearl Jam's tired, I remember the 70's, cock rock(from sensitive rockers) sound, although I feel Black, Jeremy and Oceans are good songs.

Originally posted by Se7en:
Ten....McGrady and Gossard can actually play guitar...

McCready
smile.gif

I think since Ten some of the best albums Pearl Jam made were Vitalogy and Yield.

Vitalogy is odd, in an almost Sgt Peppers way, and Yield is really really tight.

I think Pearl Jam have a knack for making a really good album every other album.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Nevermind; I lean more toward the punk or post-punk feel of the music. "Nevermind" just blew me away- what a way to begin your college career. It was practically the soundtrack to my first years in college- (and of course, AB!)- I'll never forget that. I do think that "Ten" is a brilliant CD, but it just didn't have the same affect that "Nevermind" or even "In Utero" did for me.

'Ten' has five of the best Pearl Jam songs ever (Alive, Black, Even Flow, Jeremy, Release), a couple of okay tunes (Porch, Ocean), and the other three are crap. Percentage-wise, that's not quite good enough to be considered a "great" album. Then again, I hate Nirvana, so my vote goes strongly towards Pearl Jam.

This just in...PJ are going back into the studio in January!

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Fuck this. Lets have everyone's thoughts on Trout Mask Replica vs Fables of the Reconstruction!
ooooh, that is a tough one
Trout Mask Replica is pure genius, Moonlight on Vermont is one of the greatest tracks ever and there are many more great ones on this album
on the other hand it isn't a album I can listen to very often unlike the brilliant Fables of the Reconstruction, my fav 80's R.E.M. album
driver 8, maps & legends, feeling gravity pull, wendell gee
so Fables by a narrow margin

still "Now I Got Worry" by the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion kicks both these albums' asses
biggrin.gif

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
The correct answer is SUPERUNKNOWN.

Nevermind and Ten are both great albums, but both not worthy of the blind praise they recieve by most. Most hardcore Nirvana fans to kneel at the knees of In-utero and in my mind Vitalogy was PJ's best album. To keep saying after all these years that Ten is PJ's best is like saying that U2 was all downhill after Boy.

Soundgarden had all the potential to be the biggest grunge band of them all, but I think they just had the wrong timing.

Strangely, but I could even agree with you. I think that that album had more quality than theese two, but I miss emotions that I find in TEN. I realy LOVE superunkonown, all 70 minutes of it

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

Salome, how in the world you rank "now i got worry" over "orange" absolutely amazes me. "orange" is quite possibily the most shake worthy album ever made!

my vote goes to "ten."

You guys are actually all wrong. The correct answer is GISH but, whatever.

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Originally posted by Se7en:
Ten....McGrady and Gossard can actually play guitar...

Even if the guy's name is really McCready or whatever, I also vote for Ten for the same reason.

When I listen to Nirvana, I hear really crappy guitar work and really annoying singing. I'm definitely not a Pearl Jam fan, but I just don't think Nirvana was very good musically. I can understand that their style was innovative and charming in its own way for the early 90s, but Kurt Cobain was no The Edge, if you know what I'm saying. I happen to be in that school of thought that if KC hadn't killed himself, we wouldn't be talking about Nirvana anymore. Fade away into oblivion...

So I vote for Ten. Thanks.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I find all of this interesting because I feel that Yield is Pearl Jam's best album, and In Utero is Nirvana's; and I don't think Oasis fits into the equation at all, there are so many better bands in the 90s

I suppose Nevermind is better than Ten

Agreed, as far as Pearl Jam's best album being Yield. It has a much better flow than Ten, and it has Given to Fly and Pilate!

Back
Top Bottom