NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Make that three. Welcome Ty Lawson. A trade is all but a foregone conclusion.

And just like that, the Darko era begins in Headachetown.

Edit: Okay, that was weird. I need to stop posting from
my phone.

I guess seeing DJ Mbenga will his team to a title was enough for Cleveland to draft a guy from the Congo.

I did not find out the Sixers changed their logo until tonight, watching the draft.

jay bilas thinks everyone is great, fran fraschilla thinks everyone should stay another year or two in europe.

lastly, before i bed it up... apparently the buzz in the press room at the draft is that there is no way rubio stays in minnesota and that the likely deal will be nate robinson and jordan hill for rubio in a sign and trade deal once nba teams are allowed to do sign and trade deals.

That'd be cool.

I'd love to see this proposed Amare trade to the Warriors go through. Probably be one of the most entertaining line-ups in the league.

the suns are an absolute disaster... and if minnesota believes they're gonna keep both point guards and rubio ends up going back to europe, they too can join the disaster club.

i can say it was quite nice seeing a player in Steph Curry who was actually disapointed that he was not going to the Knicks... it's a nice change after the Isiah years.

So the Bulls drafted two boring dudes. And Jay Bilas is abnormally preoccupied with how "long" these young college athletes are.

nice to see mills get picked up, but i understand that despite the fact he was drafted, he still doesn't have a contract/is on a list/gets any money?

how does that work?

nice to see mills get picked up, but i understand that despite the fact he was drafted, he still doesn't have a contract/is on a list/gets any money?

how does that work?

The draft gives teams the rights to make contract offers to players they select; the selection of a player in and of itself is not a contract.

the nba put a gauranteed rookie pay scale in for first round picks because rookie salaries were spiraling out of control to the point where a player who hadn't played one second in the NBA was getting paid more than established stars who had been in the league for 10+ seasons... even larry bird and charles barkley.

so first round draft picks are gauranteed at a certain pay scale. second round picks do not have gauranteed contracts, but they can only sign with the team that drafts them unless the team that drafts them gives up their rights.

any player drafted can always sign with another league, go to europe, not sign and become a dentist... whatever they want. but they can only sign with the team that owns their rights.

I read the Magic are going after 'Sheed and Brandon Bass. Impster, how do you like the Bassmaster? Is it even appropriate for me to call him The Bassmaster already, or is he more of a Bass-o-Matic-type of guy?

I read the Magic are going after 'Sheed and Brandon Bass. Impster, how do you like the Bassmaster? Is it even appropriate for me to call him The Bassmaster already, or is he more of a Bass-o-Matic-type of guy?

I've been calling him the Bass Hole for a couple years. Randy Galloway (DFW sports writer whose radio show is one of the biggest things I miss from the area) calls him Sexy Shoulders.

I love Bass' game and I want the Mavs to go after him hard. He's still kind of figuring things out, but he's been a serviceable low post defender in situations and can knock down a mid range jumped like nobody's business. I really, really want the Mavvies to keep him.

I've been calling him the Bass Hole for a couple years. Randy Galloway (DFW sports writer whose radio show is one of the biggest things I miss from the area) calls him Sexy Shoulders.

I love Bass' game and I want the Mavs to go after him hard. He's still kind of figuring things out, but he's been a serviceable low post defender in situations and can knock down a mid range jumped like nobody's business. I really, really want the Mavvies to keep him.

Then it sounds like he's perfect to go next to Da-Wight. Rather him be there instead of:

rasheedwallacefire.gif

I call Carter instead of Hedo an upgrade, by the way.

i disagree on the upgrade... i think they're about even.

carter is a better scorer but hedo did more as far as rebounding and being a mismatch issue.

plus they lost a lot of depth in getting rid of alston and especially Lee that they're going to have to replace.

could you argue that their starting lineup is a little better? yes... but they lost a lot of depth and lost a lot of height.

adding sheed will be good.

i disagree on the upgrade... i think they're about even.

carter is a better scorer but hedo did more as far as rebounding and being a mismatch issue.

plus they lost a lot of depth in getting rid of alston and especially Lee that they're going to have to replace.

could you argue that their starting lineup is a little better? yes... but they lost a lot of depth and lost a lot of height.

adding sheed will be good.

Losing Lee really sucks, as I was hoping they'd be able to make a big trade involving Redick, but he's a serviceable shooter and defender who could be replaced.

They had Alston, Johnson, and Lue and Alston's contract was the easiest to move. He's also pretty inconsistent, and I don't know how he would've done in a back-up role.

Battie and Gortat were splitting minutes, and Battie hadn't been the same since his season-long injury. Don't mind him being gone.

Hedo would've wanted a big contract (for one stand-out season and a few solid ones), and while he does have the positive qualities that you mentioned earlier, he's also tremendously inconsistent. Maybe it was due to injury or whatever, but he didn't show up until about halfway through the Celtics series (gamewinner against Philly notwithstanding).

What the deal really does is give the team to Jameer Nelson, as he's now the primary ballhandler and expected to carry most of the offense. Hedo's going to be overpaid and ineffective in a system where he's not in control of the offense. Plus, Carter's on the books for 2 years as opposed to the 4-5 years Hedo's deal would've commanded. I would've preferred that they had traded for a quality big man who can spread the defense for Dwight , but I do think getting a guy like Bass or even Wallace (who's a good player, but I'm not a fan of), possibly re-signing Gortat, and shifting Lewis back to his natural position at the 3 is an improvement.

And they still have the rights to Fran Vasquez. So they've got that going for them, which is nice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom