Mynt Lounge, Werribee Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmm, shoegaze. Link me? Knowing my Internet at the moment, it'll download by about Wednesday. :happy:

Disinfectant Trifecta - Kiss.zip - DivShare

It's an awful mess with terrible production (there's a wall of noise on every track, trying to be shoegaze/drone and failing), but it was my first ever Artistic Statement, and a few really good ones stand out. Since I'll never make a metal album in all likelihood, this is the closest I'll probably get to making an Axver Project.

In America, it's uniformly "judgment," and not holding to that means you fail at spelling. It's not particularly controversial. Perhaps it is elsewhere? I have no idea.

Disinfectant Trifecta - Kiss.zip - DivShare

It's an awful mess with terrible production (there's a wall of noise on every track, trying to be shoegaze/drone and failing), but it was my first ever Artistic Statement, and a few really good ones stand out. Since I'll never make a metal album in all likelihood, this is the closest I'll probably get to making an Axver Project.

Haha, I'll be looking forward to this!

Judgment or judgement?

Are they both correct? :panic:

"Judgement" is preferred in non-legal British English; "judgment" is confined to legal texts. The same prevails in Australia (though New Zealand tends to use both equally and it's up to authorial preference really).

I suppose it follows from the general logic that you write statement, not statment; acknowledgement, not acknowledgment; etc.

I suppose it follows from the general logic that you write statement, not statment; acknowledgement, not acknowledgment; etc.

Right. When so many quirks in English tend to be leveled over time by the lazy and ignorant, I'm not sure why this particular one survived. It's really inconvenient and illogical.

I consider the Oxford English Dictionary the ultimate authority, though Vlad, you'll find most educational institutions here (secondary and tertiary) use the Macquarie English Dictionary as their general standard.

Righto.

And in regards to the bit where you said the middle paragraphs were a bit long, the teacher doesn't really have much of an issue if they're relatively similar in word length.

Ramblewood: Amaze-balls. I found something to enjoy about every single track. It's very very awesome. And no more Davy Jones in my head! Whee!

Money's been sent. Ask your wife.

Favourites? Title track, Warm Milk, Through a Glass, Darkly, Funny At Night, Alone With Me, Wandering Eye, Mare, Hit The Dawn Running, In The Air, Idling. LOL I liked them all, in this order, so take from that what you will. Ramblewood is a pretty awesome song, I could see that being single material even at 6+ minutes.

Righto.

And in regards to the bit where you said the middle paragraphs were a bit long, the teacher doesn't really have much of an issue if they're relatively similar in word length.

I police paragraph length pretty heavily when I'm marking. It's just awful when a paragraph is longer than a page, especially since a paragraph is meant to stick to a single topic as indicated by its topic sentence and not wander onto another. It's little things like that when I'm marking that are the difference between an H2A and an H2B, a low H1 or a high H1, etc.

But then I can be pretty ruthless. It's funny, I'm both a soft touch and a hard marker. I have to both correct myself from giving good-but-not-great essays a slightly higher mark than they deserve, and coming down too heavily on essays that are bad but not irredeemably poor. (Of course, if I had my way, I'd fail half my students, but universities let too much slide ...)

How very odd, my wrist feels like it's been burned, but there's no way it could have been. Someone's putting out their cigarette on their voodoo doll of me, I guess.

Money's been sent. Ask your wife.

Favourites? Title track, Warm Milk, Through a Glass, Darkly, Funny At Night, Alone With Me, Wandering Eye, Mare, Hit The Dawn Running, In The Air, Idling. LOL I liked them all, in this order, so take from that what you will. Ramblewood is a pretty awesome song, I could see that being single material even at 6+ minutes.

Haha, will do.

Ramblewood could make for a great music video. Hell, I'm writing a book with that title too. There's a lot tied up in that storyline for me. I had no intention of ever releasing it like that though, I was just trying to make something that sounded like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. :lol:

Haha, will do.

Ramblewood could make for a great music video. Hell, I'm writing a book with that title too. There's a lot tied up in that storyline for me. I had no intention of ever releasing it like that though, I was just trying to make something that sounded like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. :lol:

Holy hell, that's what the guitar riff reminded me of! I couldn't remember the name of the song, but yeah.

Got many students that irritate the hell out of you?

Uni courses have so little contact that you rarely get to know students much, and generally if you do, it's the good ones.

I'm more just in general irritated by the atrocious writing and complete ignorance of academic standards that seems to just remain uncorrected and people scrape through to get a degree without really learning much of anything. I want to mark essays much harder than I'm allowed, just to make the slackers wake the fuck up and put some effort in.

Uni courses have so little contact that you rarely get to know students much, and generally if you do, it's the good ones.

I'm more just in general irritated by the atrocious writing and complete ignorance of academic standards that seems to just remain uncorrected and people scrape through to get a degree without really learning much of anything. I want to mark essays much harder than I'm allowed, just to make the slackers wake the fuck up and put some effort in.

I admire your patience to deal with these incompetent types and not end up throwing the book back at them.

I admire your patience to deal with these incompetent types and not end up throwing the book back at them.

I just keep telling myself that I'm getting paid to mark this shit while they're paying to submit it and get a bad mark. You know you're an adult when you reach that point in life that you keep doing something you hate because of the thought of money/next month's rent.

Incidentally, you know you're a historian when you're packing to move and your collection of just one academic journal fills up an entire box.

I get a sinking feeling while reading your past few posts, Axver; one of my primary reasons for wanting to go into teaching is to evaluate writing and help improve fundamental composition skills, but boy, you make that former aspect sound like a living hell. :lol:

It's just depressing how poorly people write and how little effort they apply.

I mean, I have to fucking teach my students how to use posessive apostrophes and how to footnote. They're in their second or third year of uni at the most prestigious university in Australia! There's just no excuse.

Then you come across a student who really tries, who writes wonderfully, who's enthusiastic for your advice, and that makes it all seem a bit better.

I think I've just about completed my essay. Finally. I think I've used my time wisely. One of my friends hasn't even completed his draft!

I know some people who work best under pressure, but ... I can't even bring myself to understand. I think I'm running low on time if something's due in a week.

I used to be the master of doing things at the last minute. I don't anymore because the panic of having to get something finished in a very short amount of time is too much for me.

In all honesty, I found it a total bore reading it for the first time.

... although it's not too bad after you analyse it.

"most prestigious university in Australia" pfft :rolleyes:

The last time I had to do an assignment at the last minute, I began getting quite stressed. Then I took a break for half an hour, made a strong bourbon and coke, calmed down, and finished the essay with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom