My Spelling And Grammar Suck!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevated_u2_fan

Blue Crack Supplier
I confess; I can't spell to save my life.

Most of the time when I post, I have MS Word running and I copy and paste my entries to spell check before I post them! :reject: :lol:

I also go crazy with the punctuation. There are lots of comas and most of my sentences end with...

Anybody else out there have a problem?

BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!! :wink:

elevated_u2_fan said:
I confess; I can't spell to save my life.

Most of the time when I post, I have MS Word running and I copy and paste my entries to spell check before I post them! :reject: :lol:

I also go crazy with the punctuation. There are lots of comas and most of my sentences end with...

Anybody else out there have a problem?

BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!! :wink:

^ I think you mean "commas." :tongue:

... I have impeccable grammar and spelling. I don't say that to brag or sound like a prick; it's the truth. (And believe me, it's all I've got!) :wink:

Spelling improves with increased reading. Do you read a lot of books? If you're too busy or don't have time to plow through novels, I'd suggest reading a good online newspaper for 30 minutes a day, and you'll be surprised as to how quickly your spelling and grammar improve. Try www.washingtonpost.com; they have great copy editors and rarely publish anything that's poorly written.

Re: Re: My Spelling And Grammar Suck!

LyricalDrug said:

^ I think you mean "commas." :tongue:

doh! Comas :lol: , I mean... Yah... I meant to put that :shifty:

Spelling improves with increased reading. Do you read a lot of books? If you're too busy or don't have time to plow through novels, I'd suggest reading a good online newspaper for 30 minutes a day, and you'll be surprised as to how quickly your spelling and grammar improve. Try www.washingtonpost.com; they have great copy editors and rarely publish anything that's poorly written.

I actually read quite a bit although not nearly as much as when I was younger but I've always been terrible with spelling and grammar.

Math as well, come to think of it. :huh:

And I have no artistic or musical skills either.:|

Not good at sports... :tsk:

Oh great, I officially suck! :drool:

elevated_u2_fan said:

If you use FireFox 2.x.x, it comes with a spell-checker built in. The funny thing is, as I'm typing this, it thinks "FireFox" is spelled incorrectly.

I'm not a bad speller per se, but I have trouble spelling out loud. I have to write the word out first.

elevated_u2_fan said:

I always end my posts with... It started out by laziness, not knowing if my sentence structure was correct but now it's just habit, even if I know the sentence is properly structured or not...

And, yes I can't spell my way out of a cardboard box...

Re: Re: Re: My Spelling And Grammar Suck!

elevated_u2_fan said:

doh! Comas :lol: , I mean... Yah... I meant to put that :shifty:

I actually read quite a bit although not nearly as much as when I was younger but I've always been terrible with spelling and grammar.

Math as well, come to think of it. :huh:

And I have no artistic or musical skills either.:|

Not good at sports... :tsk:

Oh great, I officially suck! :drool:

Don't worry, I have the same problem. The only thing that I am some what good at is photography, swimming, hiking, and writing. The funny thing about the writing is that I'm good at it, but can't spell to save my life, and I add to many commas, and those evil sentance fragments. sigh. Oh, and I have bad handwriting, both print and cultive. So... yeah don't worry we can both officially suck.

Re: Re: My Spelling And Grammar Suck!

LyricalDrug said:

To add onto this, I d read a lot, but I still can't spell.:shrug: Go figure.

No worries! I don't know if you noticed, but most people who post here mangle the English language in someway. Be it spelling or bad grammar.
Biggest pet peeves:
I could care less- No, actually you COULDN'T care less!
Looser-No, it's LOSER, loser!

BrownEyedBoy said:
I have horrible handwriting. :shrug:
GIMME SOME DAP
th_highfive2.gif

Angela Harlem said:

rediculous :rant:

that is more common than it should be. bugs me too. but not as much as there/their/they're... good riddance.

My grammar is pretty good, I think. Obviously I don't always post in complete or correct sentences here, but if I have to write a paper I'm usually fine.

There are some words that get me...I am no champion speller, that's for sure. If I'm not sure I just look up the word.

If you ever feel stupid because you're not a great speller, don't. I know someone who gets "invented" and "invited" mixed up :banghead: as others have said reading a lot is probably the best thing to do if you want to improve. I should read more. I used to read all the time, now not so much...

ellipsises are awesome

i probably spelled that wrong :wink:

If you're on firefox and have Google toolbar...

Highlight word--->right click--->Search Google for "___" is very useful.

LemonMelon said:
If you're on firefox and have Google toolbar...

Highlight word--->right click--->Search Google for "___" is very useful.

FireFox's automatic spell check should pick it up too.

I've become spoiled by my word processor, e-mail client, and internet browser for automatic spell checking. When I'm entering work orders at work, I have to remember to pay attention because it doesn't mark spelling mistakes.

I have about zero patience for bad spelling, sorry. :wink:

I just figure if I can be bothered to spell correctly and English is my third language, it isn't too much to expect that native speakers don't mangle their own language. Spelling can be learned - as an ESL student you memorize words. Grammar can be learned. This isn't some magical skill some of us are born with and others aren't.

There, I feel better now.

Angela Harlem said:
could of
should of
Those two are the worst, and they're becoming more common even in speech! I just want to beat up people :grumpy:

:had excellent Grade 4 teacher who taught good grammar:

I'm a big grammar and spelling :nerd: I notice errors almost right away, even on restaurant menus and I also proof my e-mails several times before I send them, even if it's just to my mom or sisters. it's just my thing. Math, some science and history...that's where my problems are!

I´m so bad spelling english that I don´t even know if I´m making mistakes :lol: ,please understand me :) I´m latin, I learned english by my self, I´ll try to take some class in order to not kill your languaje anymore :D

edit to say: I´m very very good spelling in spanish :wink:

meegannie said:
I use a mixture of American and British spelling, grammar, and punctuation, so I'm constantly wrong. :mad:

I spell things the British way sometimes just because...I don't know why I started it. I don't consider it wrong since their English came first anyway :wink:

It's interesting, really. I read over essays from native English speakers sometimes and really wonder what's wrong with today's schools.

I have to admit, if I spot basic grammatical mistakes such as problems with forming the plural or misuse of homonyms, it really lowers my estimation of their IQ. It's a horrible thing to say, but if you're 30 years old and don't know how to form the plural, I can't stand you :lol:

It seems a lot of people have lots the ability to write coherently, and maybe the spell checker and digital age can be blamed for it.

I used to be a very good speller, but I never really write anything down anymore and my ability has decreased. However, when people don't use they're/there/their and your/you're properly, it annoys me to high hell. It's not a difficult concept to grasp - so grasp it already! :mad: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom