Most cliche Bono line? The ones that make you groan...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think some people need to look up the word 'cliche'.:|

cliche means "things I don't like"
duhhhh :wink:

"heavy as a truck" is not cliche, it's just a bad simile

I do think "we need love and peace" is a bit cliche. In Peace on Earth it was sort of bitter and it worked, but in that song it just comes across as generic, been there done that (which is too bad because the music rocks).

really I know that Bono has a lot of cliche lyrics, but most of them don't bother me.

AtomicBono said:

cliche means "things I don't like"
duhhhh :wink:

"heavy as a truck" is not cliche, it's just a bad simile

Thank you. Even after I posted that, people were still posting lines they just don't like... I was about to post a link to a dictionary.

:lol:

That was bothering me too, but then I just figured people were focusing on the second part of the thread topic - "the ones that make you groan."

I'm actually surprised no one posted lyrics that make them groan in a good way. :wink:

Axver said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like Walk On and it has a fair bit of sentimental value to me, but you have to admit some of its lyrics are pretty cliche.

Define cliche.

For example...athletes will always say "we have to give 110%". You here it all the time and the fact that it is ubiquitous makes it cliche.

not sure the examples given here are properly characterized as cliche.

cheesy maybe...

This place must be swarmed by great lyricists. Maybe you guys should start your own bands and write some songs. I'd love to hear 25 years worth of original material, and without anyone of you repeating yourselves more than twice during a world tour.

I know Bono is saying the same things over and over again, but seriously, so are anyone of you (myself included). If in doubt, just check this forum.

When it comes to clichés, the best may to put it is in the words of Fish: “Simply the best way, is with an old cliché”

Something along the lines of "... at this point in our lives, we need a really great reason to leave home and tour the world for a year.... we feel we have 11 great reasons on this album and can't wait to play them live."

:scream:

hughfan_1 said:

For me, "Walk On" is the most inspirational song in U2's songbook. And it is absolutely the song that turned me into a fanatic. Yes, I have always, liked U2, going back to the 1980's but All That You Can't Leave Behind turned me into a fanatic for life.

From my perspective, "Walk On" it a profound song and has absolutely no cliche lyrics whatsoever.

Ditto that for me too. I find it very inspirational, but not precious or sweet at all.

There are some very good lyrics being mentioned but somehow they're cliche and cheesy?? Are they any more cliche than what any other band puts out?? The lyrics to 'Walk On' in particular are lyrics I've always considered to be some of the very best. Exactly what the hell are you looking for???

Many of you should step away from these boards for several months then come back. You won't believe how the negativity jumps right out at you. It's unbelievable. I've never seen a band taken for granted as much as this band.

super fly guy said:
This bloody thread makes me groan! I thought you were supposed to be fans?

Thats why we spend time here, isn't it?!!
What makes me a U2 fan is that they challenge me with all they do...theres a lot that I don't like about the band and that makes me an even bigger fan...if that makes sense;)

WalkOnTheEdge said:
There are some very good lyrics being mentioned but somehow they're cliche and cheesy?? Are they any more cliche than what any other band puts out?? The lyrics to 'Walk On' in particular are lyrics I've always considered to be some of the very best. Exactly what the hell are you looking for???

Many of you should step away from these boards for several months then come back. You won't believe how the negativity jumps right out at you. It's unbelievable. I've never seen a band taken for granted as much as this band.

Spot on!

Hey, WalkOnTheEdge, your posts recently are absolutely hilarious considering that you're the one who said they bought Zooropa and threw it away within a week.

Now who's the hypocrite!

I have really come around to this song, especially since seeing it live, but I now present to you the most groan-worthy, cliche set of lines in the U2 vernacular (I mean, really, if it had a few "kneel's" thrown in and a "Punk rock from Venus" intro it would be essentially the most cliched set of lyrics EVER)

<Drumroll> And the MOST CLICHE U2 LYRIC EVER IS........

"High, higher than the sun
You shoot me from a gun
I need you to elevate me here
At the corner of your lips
As the orbit of your hips
Eclipse
You elevate my soul

I've got no self control
Been living like a mole now
Going down, excavation
High and High in the sky
You make me feel like I can fly
So high
Elevation

A star
Lit up like a cigar
Strung out like a guitar
Maybe you can educate my mind

Explain all these controls
Can't sing but I've got soul
The goal is elevation

A mole
Digging in a hole
Digging up my soul now
Going down, excavation

I and eye in the sky
So high
Elevation

Love
Lift me up from out of these blues
Won't you tell me something true
I believe in you

A mole
Digging in a hole
Digging up my soul now
Going down, excavation

High and high in the sky
So high
Elevation

Elevation
Elevation
Elevation"

Note the SHAMELESS rhyming triplet of "Sky, High, and Fly." Ugh :wink:
~A.j.~

Axver said:
Hey, WalkOnTheEdge, your posts recently are absolutely hilarious considering that you're the one who said they bought Zooropa and threw it away within a week.

Now who's the hypocrite!

Yeah, and half of you guys almost had a heart attack. The reaction was hilarious, you acted like I punched Jesus himself in the face or something. God forbid I hated that album. "How dare you disrespect the band like that! You threw it in the trash?! Blasphemy!!" is what I got. I hated one album 14 years ago when I was 24 years old. Big deal.

But many of you seem to rag on everything about this band since 2000. You rip on everything from the Elevation tour, ATYCLB, HTDAAB, the Vertigo tour, the setlists, the lyrics, and the crazy thing is that Bono himself is the biggest target (see the "one word to describe each member thread").

This is a band from the 80's that is still as good as ever. Just the fact that they're even together making music and touring is unbelievable for an 80's band. But they're not just going through the motions, they're still making great music....they still matter. I just think that too many of you take that for granted.

I guess where I'm different than many of you is that I see this band at the tail end of their career, like they could call it quits any time. They're getting old and sooner or later this ride has to come to an end. So I'm in more of a "enjoy it while you can" mindset. I feel like anything we get out of them at this point is gravy.

OK, that's all great, but the point is that considering you did something far more extreme than anyone here has done (tossed out a U2 CD), you're in absolutely no position to tell people here that they're spoilt brats that take U2 for granted just because they have a different opinion to you.

Stop being hypocritical.

Axver said:
OK, that's all great, but the point is that considering you did something far more extreme than anyone here has done (tossed out a U2 CD), you're in absolutely no position to tell people here that they're spoilt brats that take U2 for granted just because they have a different opinion to you.

Stop being hypocritical.

Hmmm....Let me see, not liking one album in the early '90s' vs. pissing and moaning about 6 years of albums, tours, and band members. Yeah, that's the same thing.

fandangamoq said:
I have really come around to this song, especially since seeing it live, but I now present to you the most groan-worthy, cliche set of lines in the U2 vernacular (I mean, really, if it had a few "kneel's" thrown in and a "Punk rock from Venus" intro it would be essentially the most cliched set of lyrics EVER)

<Drumroll> And the MOST CLICHE U2 LYRIC EVER IS........

"High, higher than the sun
You shoot me from a gun
I need you to elevate me here
At the corner of your lips
As the orbit of your hips
Eclipse
You elevate my soul

I've got no self control
Been living like a mole now
Going down, excavation
High and High in the sky
So high
Elevation

A star
Lit up like a cigar
Strung out like a guitar
Maybe you can educate my mind

Explain all these controls
Can't sing but I've got soul
The goal is elevation

A mole
Digging in a hole
Digging up my soul now
Going down, excavation

I and eye in the sky
So high
Elevation

Love
Lift me up from out of these blues
Won't you tell me something true
I believe in you

A mole
Digging in a hole
Digging up my soul now
Going down, excavation

High and high in the sky
So high
Elevation

Elevation
Elevation
Elevation"

Note the SHAMELESS rhyming triplet of "Sky, High, and Fly." Ugh :wink:
~A.j.~

sorry to ruin your little Elevation bashing here, but it's actually "I and I in the sky"

Back
Top Bottom