More New Album talk from the Space Moon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:wink:

I have to look into this whole thing in more detail. Hopefully I'll be able to participate in some decent level of the presales. I imagine tickets are going to be just as hard as previous arena tours to score, if not harder..

Eheu. What's the procedure if you're not a member?

I just checked Terry Lawless' calendar. He has absolutely nothing planned for the entire next year. Damn. :(

Terry Lawless - Performance Calendar

:wink:

Or maybe it's good, because it means he's busy... :hmm:

Yeah, he couldn't very well put those U2 dates up before the tour was announced, so they would appear as blanks until it was.

Before that. Some key people were not available earlier than the timelines I was told, due to other commitments, and they wanted said key people involved.

And he had a rather comfortable comment about that in the recent article posted in the News thread: something like "I'm pretty well set up for life with that job. I'm going to be dead before anybody gets me out of it." Sounds like a man who's confident that he's valued!

conan_018.jpg

:lol: i remember that skit!

I dunno..that one is just listing the top 5 #1 singles that they feel best represent the 80s.

In strictly pop terms, they're hardly bad choices..I would fully expect WOWY to rank very highly in such a discussion...and Take On Me too. Billie Jean for sure.

What would be your top 5 or so? Curious.

I think it would change if we were talking of songs or "pop hits". Two different things, you know? Plus I was a child in the 80s so my choices would be more influenced by nostalgia than actually quality. Definitely all that he listed other than U2 are fabulous pop songs- it just seems like WOWY is an entirely different kind of animal to the rest of them. Which I think the author showed his awareness of by talking about the songwriting of that one and not the others.

I think it would change if we were talking of songs or "pop hits". Two different things, you know? Plus I was a child in the 80s so my choices would be more influenced by nostalgia than actually quality. Definitely all that he listed other than U2 are fabulous pop songs- it just seems like WOWY is an entirely different kind of animal to the rest of them. Which I think the author showed his awareness of by talking about the songwriting of that one and not the others.

Wait..he's talking about the best of the songs that went #1 - that's the definition of pop hit! I'm probably misunderstanding what you're getting at.

WOWY is absolutely a pop hit. I don't see it as a different animal than a Billie Jean or any of them, in that context. Of course they are pop hits of varying quality (subjective) perhaps.

I was teen in the 80s. My list is going to be different than his because for the better part of those years I was focused more on music that *wasnt a pop #1 per se, but in terms of a list of the best pop hits to go #1 in the 80s, this list could be wayyyy worse lol!!

Do blogs count? Because this one lists With or Without You below Sweet Child O'Mine and Take On Me. The Best of the Best: The Top 5 #1 Singles from the 1980′s | The Classy Wasteland

These would be my favorite among the Billboard #1's from the 80's, that I'm less sick of than the others. I'm pretty much sick of anything that hit #1 in the 80's, so it's all relative.

With or Without You - U2 (1987)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2 (1987)
Don't You Forget About Me - Simple Minds (1985)
Every Breath You Take - The Police (1983)
Live To Tell - Madonna (1986)

There were about 20 #1 songs (Billboard) that I'd consider really great songs. Lots of stuff I've heard far too many times. Lots of crap too.

Human League - Don't You Want Me
Hall & Oats - Maneater
Michael Jackson - Beat It, Billie Jean
Bowie - Let's Dance
Lionel Ritchie - All Night Long
Van Halen - Jump
Prince - When Doves Cry, Let's Go Crazy
Wham! - Careless Whisper
Tears For Fears - Shout
Bryan Adams - Heaven - Yeah, it's great. Fuck you.
Bon Jovi - You Give Love A Bad Name, Livin On A Prayer, Bad Medicine, I'll Be There For You
George Michael - Father Figure

U2's #1s demolish these tracks though.

It's kind of like saying you like candy corn, but I have to admit to a shameful soft spot for Bon Jovi. Can't defend it, I just do.

90s

Bon Jovi - Blaze of Glory
PM Dawn - Set Adrift On A Memory Bliss
Sir Mix-a-lot - baby's got back
Tupac - How Do You Want It/California Love
Blackstreet - No Diggity

The 90s were way better than the 80s, but the hit songs are all terrible! There are only five that I like.

It's kind of like saying you like candy corn, but I have to admit to a shameful soft spot for Bon Jovi. Can't defend it, I just do.

Especially their 80s work wasn't actually bad at all. I don't really get the hate. The ones on that list are pretty damn good, for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom