More Europe dates in 2011, album out in late 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are currently rumors out there that U2 have the claw rented until 2015. That's enough time to encapsulate another album/tour cycle. Conceptually, they're not going to find a way to top 360 tour until they come up with a cheaper way to do 360 stadium shows. They could find ways to reconfigure the stage and make an entirely new show out of it, and decorate the claw differently, but I think the actual concept of the claw is going to stay. Just like how the band used the same staging for UF, JT, LT, Zoo (arena), Elevation and Vertigo tours (it's true. The core part of the stage, aka the part the band stood on, was the same stage, dressed up differently each time. I read that in some book written by U2's touring staff.)

Hopefully the next tour with the claw is called something a little better than 360 tour.

:huh: One would think they would use a different stage next time...and drop arenas for a while.

Didn't they say they would leave each of the three Claws in a different place of the world to serve as a permanent structure for events/music shows etc.. after 360 ends ?

:huh: One would think they would use a different stage next time...and drop arenas for a while.

Didn't they say they would leave each of the three Claws in a different place of the world to serve as a permanent structure for events/music shows etc.. after 360 ends ?

Correct not sure what that guy is on about saying they are renting it! U2 clearly stated they will GIVE the structures away after the tour has finished for permenent stage venues.

I think that until u2.com will give pre-sale codes to the ones who renew their account, we can hope about new gigs :hmm:

Just like when someone resubscribed between tours? :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

(I'm not 100% sure how this works as never had u2.com subscription).

I thought I recall some people who didn't have their codes right away after renewing, that it took a little while for them to show up. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, though.

They got rid of and archived the 2010 dates on the tours page finally. I think they are getting the tours page ready for the additional dates which might come out sometime in March. there is a rumor an additional brazil show should be announced in March, perhaps Europe as well?

We will see....my money is on that if England gets played, Scotland will.

But, Scotland has already been played on this tour and the demand there has been met. England has a population of 45 million people, nearly ten times that of Scotland. I don't think there is a lot of demand left in England, but I do think they could sellout a small stadium in Manchester, and sellout Twickingham Stadium which is smaller than Wembley.

360 in Scotland had a smaller attendance and smaller gross than Vertigo Scotland did, which shows that the demand there has been met.

They got rid of and archived the 2010 dates on the tours page finally. I think they are getting the tours page ready for the additional dates which might come out sometime in March. there is a rumor an additional brazil show should be announced in March, perhaps Europe as well?

Those European shows this year seem less and less likely to me.

People did get new presale codes since the presale page was turned off, didn't they? I think the page is unavailable since about 2 weeks.

Okay, so it was my wife's account with U2.com that I renewed. It is a "Boots" account.
It had 2 codes that were used, but today they gave me a third, new code.

I think this is just a 3 code thing and not any sort of indicator of a new tour leg.

(Although they are U2.com and reserve the right to do whatever the hell the want, whenever the hell they want, however the hell they want.)

Earnie Shavers said:
I heard that they normally get about 10K+ for re-sale in April, but this year, it's currently looking like >2K. Fucking U2!

Does any one know what criteria they use to allocate the ticket?

Does any one know what criteria they use to allocate the ticket?

It's just a matter of luck and persistence really. Was trying for 4 hours back in October and I kept on clicking Refresh thousands of times and at some point all of a sudden I got through. There's no lottery or anything, you just have to keep trying and not give up.

The number of tickets they'll have for the resale just depends on how many they're getting back. Apparantly not a lot of people have already cancelled theirs, but they won't know anything until after 7th of April when everyone who hasn't paid for their ticket gets it cancelled automatically.

I've heard there are lots of Beyonce Fans who are going for Tickets in the Resale, so that will make it even harder.

There are currently rumors out there that U2 have the claw rented until 2015. That's enough time to encapsulate another album/tour cycle. Conceptually, they're not going to find a way to top 360 tour until they come up with a cheaper way to do 360 stadium shows. They could find ways to reconfigure the stage and make an entirely new show out of it, and decorate the claw differently, but I think the actual concept of the claw is going to stay. Just like how the band used the same staging for UF, JT, LT, Zoo (arena), Elevation and Vertigo tours (it's true. The core part of the stage, aka the part the band stood on, was the same stage, dressed up differently each time. I read that in some book written by U2's touring staff.)

Hopefully the next tour with the claw is called something a little better than 360 tour.

Pretty sure vertigo Arena was new, while all the others were the same and kept in U2 storage.

I'm sure that once U2 are done with the metal used to make the claw, they won't just keep it. If they did in fact buy the metal, they'll turn around and sell it, as there is always a use for constructive metal.

OR, if they did in fact rent it from this Belgian steel company, the company will then take it back when U2 are done with the metal and use it for something else (rigging for other stages, general construction, etc).

Or maybe I'm completely wrong. The rumor I read on u2start.com just said some crew member or Sebastian Clayton's former roommate or Rocko Reedy's aunt said they had the claw rented until 2015. It's just a rumor, one of many.

Wouldn't they own the claw at $40mil?

I highly doubt this. They've always bought their stages and nobody knows what happened afterwards with it. Likely sold back to StageCo or whatever.
Saw a documentary on the company, it was around the time of U2's vertigo tour. It seemed quite clear that U2 had placed an order for the stage, StageCo makes it, U2 pays for it. And they rent the crew to build it and tear it down every night.

Much of Popmart stuff got sent to China as scrap metal. This also happened to some old Stone stadium sets.

They offered and I haven't heard a peep since. The claws have little practical use for everyday use and are propably quite a lawsuit hazard with idiots climbing it.

Ever notice how the questions about U2 just seem to cycle endlessly? Nothin new under the sun, I guess..

Usually. There could be new questions like how REMs most recent album is better than U2's last album and how often that has happened in both acts careers. or how musical appreciation of Adam/Larry/Edge has changed over the years. I only come here once a month when they aren't touring and don't want to "maintain" those threads.

But, Scotland has already been played on this tour and the demand there has been met. England has a population of 45 million people, nearly ten times that of Scotland. I don't think there is a lot of demand left in England, but I do think they could sellout a small stadium in Manchester, and sellout Twickingham Stadium which is smaller than Wembley.

360 in Scotland had a smaller attendance and smaller gross than Vertigo Scotland did, which shows that the demand there has been met.

There is not alot of difference in capacity between the two.

Twickenham - 80,000
Wembley - 90,000

With the lack of any rumours for further Euro dates and Bono's comment along the lines of 'trying to help the people of Ireland later in the year', I am wondering if the tour will end with one big show, somewhere like Phoenix Park, with either a minimum charge or free admission?
Unless they are going to keep the claws in NA then they have too be shipped back anyhow so theres no further cost there. The later they announce it, the more it will be restricted to just the people of Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom