Moment of Surrender is a LAME closer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone that says Breathe is a lame opener or MOS is a lame closer either hasn't been to the show, or is just plain crazy/deaf.

or has seen better from this band, or has (different) taste, or thinks that both are good songs but don't belong in the spot they are currently in :wink:

Anyone that says Breathe is a lame opener or MOS is a lame closer either hasn't been to the show, or is just plain crazy/deaf.

:shrug:

I'm not crazy or deaf. I don't think either is "lame," just personally not my favorite choices for opener and closer.

I'm not saying they don't enjoy it, but Breathe has had some airplay for those who don't own NLOTH.

You'll never please everyone, perhaps if they alternated openers, but they never do that. It seems like most people were satisfied with COBL opening Vertigo... although I bet there were plenty on here that weren't.

Anyway, back to the topic... MOS fits in with the encore, and ends the show with a nice atmospheric mood. Of course you could never top 40/Bad, but if we're going with a new song, what's better?

After finally seeing last night, its a great song. Love it live. Very poor closer.

They should switch the encores, and just end with Streets. MOS would be great in the middle of the set like Bad used to be.

After finally seeing last night, its a great song. Love it live. Very poor closer.

They should switch the encores, and just end with Streets. MOS would be great in the middle of the set like Bad used to be.

you know, even though i personally enjoyed MOS as a closer, i do agree with this.

i'll pick up the set half way here:

Crazy Tonight
SBS
MLK
Walk On

Ultraviolet
WOWY
MOS

One
Streets

not a bad way to end the show.

Not sure if its been mentioned but who thinks Unknown Caller would be a class closer. Has a good emotional upbeat feel, and they cud walk of whilst fans are singing oh oh oh ooohh.

Just got back from the show, thought MOS was the worst closer to a show I've ever heard.

Oh wait thought of one that was worse, but the rest of the wasn't any good. Springsteen Devils and Dust tour - Dream Baby Dream.

I totally agree that it shouldn't close. Now, it's a good song and the band plays it well but it should not be the last song of the night. At the first Giants Stadium show, the place emptied out during it....seriously, I'd say 30% - 40% of the crowd left and the band could totally see it.

Now a little of that may have inadvertantly been Bono's fault: at the end of WOWY, he said "good night" a few times and I think a lot of the audience thought the show was over and started to pack up. When they heard they start of MOS, I bet a lot thought "well, the show is clearly about over and I don't know this song anyway so let's just go."

Far fewer people left last night because Bono did not say "good night" and the band just launched into the song. So, people stayed because they didn't realize that MOS was the closer.

The bottom line is that not enough people know the song. I think it can work elsewhere in the set, but it shouldn't be the end. Or, even if they just flipped WOWY and MOS it could work: make the encore UV, MOS, WOWY. Like many of you, I don't love the version of WOWY the band plays these days, but the crowd still loves it and I think it would end the night on a far bigger/better note.

I don't think Bono saying "Good night" has anything to do with it, he has always said "Good Night" after Wowy, even on the Vertigo tour and there was a whole encore coming up after that. MOS starts immediately after WOWY ends, or at least Bono starts talking and then the intro comes in. So there's not really much room for people to believe it's the end of the show.

It's more like MOS is a new song, unknown to many, and many people want to get out to avoid the traffic chaos, so they rather leave during a song they don't know anyway instead of skipping a song they know and like to hear.

I don't understand it either, but since I was in front of the stage for almost every show I went to, I didn't really experience any mass leavings. But then again, I didn't really look because I was more interested in what was happening on stage.

As stately as MOS is, I don't think it's that memorable- at best it's an atmospheric gospel number which would work better earlier in the show, perhaps in front of Unknown Caller. If they want to end on a troubled note, why not do Love Is Blindness, or Night And Day!

Finally saw the tour last week - NY I & II - so things are a bit more concrete for me now.

During the TONS of down time at both shows, i.e. YBR, NLOTH, TUF (sadly), UC, Walk On, MLK (to only name a few) I tried an experiment and did what others on this board suggested- look around at the crowd and try to determine who are the hardcore types who clamor for Acrobat, RHMT, 11 O'Clock, Exit, etc. - in other words, us. It was really eye opening. I would estimate that people who even HEARD of those songs made up only about 20% of the audience at most. I would say 80% of people all around me - section 320 for NY I and section 130 for NY II - could not have cared less about anything other than the warhorses. I of course don't just base this on how people looked- I based it on body language and behavior during the songs. Both of my sections emptied out by 75% during YBR, Stay, and UC. Others spent the majority of time sitting, chatting and texting, seemingly uninterested in large chunks of both shows. It is easier to explain the section 320 upper deck folks. But the section 130 (edge's side, lower ring) were sitting in $100-$500 seats depending on source of ticket and the impression I got was that they couldn't care less!

To the folks on the floor at the shows, and those true fans on this board, I salute you and I hope you have and continue to have great times at the shows. But this experience drove home to me how much in the minority we are, at least at the Giants Stadium shows.

And MOS is a great song, but it was awfully depressing watching thousands and thousands of people starting to stream out of the stadium during the middle of WOWY both nights. I actually witnessed a brief fight break out as fans bottle-necked the section exit. MOS may be a great closer to a small minority of hardcore fans, but the masses who attend the shows and give U2 a great life neither know it nor care about it whatsoever.

I wonder if the band is aware of the dynamic in the audience during different songs? Do they employ folks to monitor the crowd responses who are actually part of the crowd during the show? Because there is room for alot of improvement - I loved both shows, but I found myself a little depressed by crowd reaction during certain parts, especially the end. It really makes me think that Streets or Bad or even a well-performed WOWY might be the way to close- those are the songs that make the crowd feel good and energetic about U2, and might be a good way to remember them as opposed to something like MOS. Quite frankly, I felt a little embarrassed at how awkwardly the show closed both nights.

I of course only express my opinion and can only base my observations on those in sections near me. I do believe, however, that I got a good cross-section of observations.

Encore should be:

Bad
Streets
Ultraviolet

After the whole fiasco of Bono with the wheel microphone I really think its hard to top that and its a great song....Ultraviolet last song.

I love UV, but that would be a huge letdown after streets, and you would have people streaming for the doors still. I don't think many people are running out during streets though. Bad-40-Streets (like elevation tour) would be the perfect closer, you can't top that.

As far as I am concerned MOS can be opener, middle or closer. Makes not difference to me. That song is awesome :drool:

I love UV, but that would be a huge letdown after streets, and you would have people streaming for the doors still. I don't think many people are running out during streets though. Bad-40-Streets (like elevation tour) would be the perfect closer, you can't top that.

Yeah but you have to remember Ultraviolet is such a more moving part of the show than Moment Of Surrender with Bono's mic, the beautiful colors, the smoke, and the mirror ball on the top of the stage that revolves around the entire stadium. Not to mention its the highlight of Bono's vocals for the night....But your looooovvvveee is like a secret.

I would have much rather them save Ultraviolet for last. I really dont care who is leaving. People began a mass exit after streets on the second night because of the horror stories of NJ Transit.

Is MOS a great song? Yes. Have they mastered it live? Sure thing! Does it seem to occupy an awkward spot in the setlist? Seems like it. Unless they wanted to intensify the ending with more guitar, which they don't necessarily need to do.

I'll tell you what, Ultraviolet got my spine-tingling when they played it. I think it would make a fantastic closer because it gives you such a rush, which is exactly how you want to leave.

Yeah but you have to remember Ultraviolet is such a more moving part of the show than Moment Of Surrender with Bono's mic, the beautiful colors, the smoke, and the mirror ball on the top of the stage that revolves around the entire stadium. Not to mention its the highlight of Bono's vocals for the night....But your looooovvvveee is like a secret.

I would have much rather them save Ultraviolet for last. I really dont care who is leaving. People began a mass exit after streets on the second night because of the horror stories of NJ Transit.

I agree with all of this. I love UV, really a highlight for me. Streets is always THE highlight of every U2 show. I don't think they can top it. Bad is 2nd only to streets for a live song.

I was just simply saying Streets last is the best way to combat mass exodus that is happening during MOS. I think you will have significantly less people leave during Streets.

Two different things are being discussed here. What song "fits" as the last song, and what song would keep everyone in their seats. If people are leaving before the last song (Streets, WOWY or whatever else people are describing as a bail point) nothing will keep them there if they have already left.

MOS (IMHO) really fits as the last song. Other songs (esp if they played 3 warhorses in row for the final encore) might keep them there, but if people are going to leave, they are leaving. Even during U2's first #1 song.

Back
Top Bottom