MLB 2013-14: End of the World Series, Offseason, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the deal to even start to make sense to the Rangers, you have to assume that Fielder's 2013 was an aberration, not the start of his decline. Not sure I'd bet over $100 million on this. I would probably have just signed Napoli for much less money and fewer years.

I mean, it makes sense in theory for both teams. Texas had a crowded middle infield and wanted a big bat. They freed up the middle and got that lefty power bat they needed. The money's not great, but that $30 million will help and they're getting Fielder for below market rate because of it (even if the market rate is objectively an overpay). And it's not like Texas can't afford it.

Meanwhile, Detroit had three DHs. Now they have two, and have freed up some space to extend guys currently on the roster. Kinsler is an immediate upgrade on Infante and they can play Cabrera at first base.

It has the potential to be a win-win if all falls right.

^ I agree with this, it makes sense from a roster standpoint and the respective logjams in the middle infield and 1B/DH, respectively. I'm just thinking more in terms of opportunity costs. I think Texas could have done better with the money they just invested, and the asset they traded. Fielder's contract was unquestionably a bad one (probably one of the five worst in the league). It's less bad now, but it takes away a lot of Texas' flexibility for a questionable return.

I'll give you the baserunning and fielding aspects, surely. But I fail to see why "relative to his position" matters in terms of hitting. Who gives a fuck. A better hitter is a better hitter. Prince Fielder is a better hitter than Ian Kinsler.

He also never gets hurt and is two years younger.

It's easier and cheaper for a team to get a good hitting 1B than it is for a team to get a 2B who hits the same. Case in point: Robinson Cano. Do you think if he was a 1B he'd be likely getting 200+ million? I do not.

Just read that this might be a prelude to the Rangers going after Cano.

Would the Rangers have the payroll flexibility?

Not to mention the contract expires when he's 36.

Eh, 36 is the new 40 when it comes to that body type in the post-steroid era

Isn't Texas one of the teams with new TV contracts? I don't think they should be that concerned with finances.

I was of an understanding that most all of the teams will be benefitting from a national TV contract. At least I thought that's what I read from Wendy Thurm a few months back.

Isn't Texas one of the teams with new TV contracts? I don't think they should be that concerned with finances.

It's more than the finances, though. Look at the Yankees and Mark Teixeira (to spare you from a Ryan Howard example). They would probably love to be able to get a new and better 1B. But these commitments usually force you to play these guys when they decline, because you can't get rid of the commitment.

It's more than the finances, though. Look at the Yankees and Mark Teixeira (to spare you from a Ryan Howard example). They would probably love to be able to get a new and better 1B. But these commitments usually force you to play these guys when they decline, because you can't get rid of the commitment.

This as well. I think the Angels probably already have buyer's remorse for Pujols. I think it likely the Tigers had buyer's remorse for Fielder already.

I was of an understanding that most all of the teams will be benefitting from a national TV contract. At least I thought that's what I read from Wendy Thurm a few months back.
Yeah, but I meant the local contracts (i.e. the Dodgers' new one that made them the biggest spenders in baseball). Maybe I'm wrong.

No, you're right. The $25 mil applies to all teams because it's the national contract. But Texas also signed their new local deal last year, I believe.

fielder.gif

Meanwhile, Detroit had three DHs. Now they have two, and have freed up some space to extend guys currently on the roster. Kinsler is an immediate upgrade on Infante and they can play Cabrera at first base.

I'm not sure that Kinsler is an upgrade over Omar. I haven't looked up the UZR, but I'm assuming they're close and at this point of their careers, they're not that different at the plate.

Same here. Really like this deal. I will never have to see Chris Stewart again.

The stove is sizzling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom