MLB 2013-14: End of the World Series, Offseason, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, in less than 20 years neurological research and technology will have progressed to the point where you can pull out an iPhone app, do a brain scan of an athlete, and tell exactly how clutch or chokey he is, if at all.

This is both fascinating and frightening.

I understood the clutch thing but then we started talking about Tourist's high school baseball career and I lost my way.

The same God who told Reggie White to sign with the Packers??

Yes. He won a Super Bowl, right? :wink: Plus the same God who has a shit load of Source, Vibe, Grammy and American Music Awards in His great room. Yes, God has a great room. Probably for all of the awards and championships that He's credited with. Ain't easy being The Big Guy.

Obviously, baseball is a sport where you're going to fail more than you succeed. 3 out of 10 and you're considered good. What Papi is doing in the Series right now is incredible. If he keeps it up, it could be considered one of the best WS performances.

Obviously, baseball is a sport where you're going to fail more than you succeed. 3 out of 10 and you're considered good. What Papi is doing in the Series right now is incredible. If he keeps it up, it could be considered one of the best WS performances.

Right, after just looking super ugly in the ALCS.

There is no way to quantify it, though.

I believe I used these exact words in the previous thread this afternoon. Nobody ever said it was quantifiable, just that there are some players who rise to the occasion and some who cave under its pressure. We have all witnessed it, doesn't mean it happens all the time, certainly doesn't happen with every player, but the world of sport does have its Robert Horrys and Rick Ankiels.

And that's all I've been saying. There are some things that are simply not measurable.

Which also means there is no way to say for sure when it is or is not happening. We just don't know. Unless a player goes against his PR's advice and lets the world know. Which would be career suicide.

I believe I used these exact words in the previous thread this afternoon. Nobody ever said it was quantifiable, just that there are some players who rise to the occasion and some who cave under its pressure. We have all witnessed it, doesn't mean it happens all the time, certainly doesn't happen with every player, but the world of sport does have its Robert Horrys and Rick Ankiels.

Yeah. It has it's extreme outliers. Ridiculously few and far between. 100 points of OPS means underperformance. Nothing more or less without quantifiable proof. Otherwise it's just conjecture and narrative.

100 points of OPS means underperformance. Nothing more or less without quantifiable proof. .

And I believe if you read what I said about Arod (man you are hung up on this), I said he has "underperformed in the playoffs compared to the regular season when his entire career is examined". How that differs from you saying it "means underperformance" puzzles me, but you seem to think I'm saying something different regarding him from what I can tell.

And I believe if you read what I said about Arod (man you are hung up on this), I said he has "underperformed in the playoffs compared to the regular season when his entire career is examined". How that differs from you saying it "means underperformance" puzzles me, but you seem to think I'm saying something different regarding him from what I can tell.

He's just an easy example that the masses say is a choke artist. When in reality, he is not at all. That's why I keep bringing him up. The typical baseball fan is an idiot. The fan that would look at a tiny sample of below average and say he's a massive choke artist is that typical idiot fan. I never said that you said that A-Rod was a choke artist.

Anyway, can you and Headache seriously lay off the dredging of 6+ year old conversation in which I pointed out that the good-hitting Mariners if that year needed another good hitter in the lineup? Because seriously, Felix is the only thing in common between that team and this team. It's tired, old, not funny or clever. Same with all the Edgar Martinez sniping.

Back
Top Bottom