MLB 2010 The Third - B. Wood Popped Out to Catcher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're slapping those bitches around for you.

Our god accepts your sacrifice.

81747663.png

Tomorrow we've got CC "Chairman of the Lunch Bunch" Sabathia versus a dude who doesn't deserve to be named after the second greatest city in the greatest state ever? Push that thing to 20, New York.

Nyjer Morgan, in the last 48 hours, has become one of my favorite non-Sox baseball players.

Good shit, you little fucker. (I was close to using a different word) :shh:

4 back. 29 games left. 3 against them, at home. One of the 10 best righthanded hitters in the history of the sport recently acquired. Edwin Jackson in beast mode. Gold Glove shortstop. Konerko as shoo-in MVP if it weren't for Josh Hamilton. No weight, don't press. If baseball be the food of love, play on.

Cool Whip for MVP, Neftali for ROY, and JD for executive of the year? I'll take it.

Nyjer Morgan, in the last 48 hours, has become one of my favorite non-Sox baseball players.

Good shit, you little fucker. (I was close to using a different word) :shh:

4 back. 29 games left. 3 against them, at home. One of the 10 best righthanded hitters in the history of the sport recently acquired. Edwin Jackson in beast mode. Gold Glove shortstop. Konerko as shoo-in MVP if it weren't for Josh Hamilton. No weight, don't press. If baseball be the food of love, play on.
He pegged a Phils fan just because. He's a fucking asshole and I finally have a good reason to dislike the Expos Nationals.

Konerko: .319, 33, 98, .399, .587

Cano: .323, 26, 90, .386, .558

They're both great with the glove.

Try again later.

Konerko: .319, 33, 98, .399, .587

Cano: .323, 26, 90, .386, .558

They're both great with the glove.

Try again later.

But Cano plays second base - I think he outperforms other second basemen by a larger margin that Kokerko does to other first basemen (Cabrera comes to mind). I don't mean to criticize Konerko at all and really like the guy - I just think that having Cano's production out of a second basemen is pretty great.

Edit: and in any case, Hamilton deserves the MVP over the two of them.

Great story. Bonne chance, Max! :)

Tigers callup makes St. Pierre's dream reality

After tenuous journey through Minors, catcher reaches bigs

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- Max St. Pierre stood in front of his locker at Target Field and took in where he was, in the Major Leagues. He only had about an hour of sleep Tuesday night because he was afraid of missing his flight, so he might suspect he's still asleep. But he spent 14 years of Minor League ball dreaming about this.

"I'm still dreaming, I feel like," he said.

For others -- some in the same clubhouse, others watching from afar -- the reality has registered. It means a lot to more than just St. Pierre.

"I am beside myself," said former Tigers player development director Glenn Ezell, who got an early-morning call from his former farmhand. "I was just absolutely, unbelievably thrilled. I can't say enough about the fact."

It was Ezell who, as a catching instructor more than a decade ago, saw a scrawny teenager from Montreal with more enthusiasm than experience -- and much less knowledge of the English language -- and took him under his wing to make him a better backstop, teaching him what St. Pierre said is everything he knows defensively about catching.

Years later, Ezell helped bring St. Pierre back into the Tigers' organization after an ill-fated attempt by the Brewers to convert him into a pitcher -- and a more successful attempt by St. Pierre to change his life after problems with alcohol.

And it was Ezell who talked with St. Pierre last offseason after he thought about quitting baseball, having been sent down from Triple-A Toledo to Double-A Erie that summer. He had been at Erie or Toledo every season since 2003, except for that strange '07 campaign in the Brewers' system.

The closest he had gotten to the big leagues was a September stretch in Detroit in '04 when he was at the ballpark, but not on the roster, basically on standby in case they needed an extra catcher.

"I told him, 'Don't ever hang up that uniform until you know darn good and well you're done,'" Ezell said. "I just loved how he went about his business and turned himself around."

It wasn't a rah-rah speech about chasing the dream. It was more about St. Pierre not cheating himself out of a game he clearly loves.

"It was real personal. He did pump me up," St. Pierre said. "He didn't say anything like, 'Oh yeah, you're going to make the team,' or anything. But he stayed positive with me and told me the truth. I told him, 'No worries. I'm going to come back with you guys. I love everybody here. I have a bunch of friends. I love the staff. I love the guys in the Minor Leagues.' And I was like, 'Yeah, I'm going to give it another shot.'"

And so he went to Spring Training with the Tigers for the seventh time, went back to Erie again, went up to Toledo and had a late resurgence at the plate. He talked about the big leagues with his roommate on road trips, Casper Wells, who made his Major League debut in May before getting called back up last week.

His dreams were delayed, but not discarded. He wouldn't have kept going if they were.

"Money-wise, I've been doing pretty good," St. Pierre said. "The Tigers have been taking care of me, and I've saved some money. But it's never been about the money. It's always been about the dream. I want to get there. I want everybody back home to say, 'Hey, he made it.' That's what I want to accomplish.

"The money, for me, yeah, it's a plus. But if you chase your dream, the money's going to come. That's why I was trying, just to chase my dream."
St. Pierre took some newfound confidence to the plate and, at age 30, turned out one of the best offensive stretches of his career. A two-homer game Monday for the Mud Hens gave him double-digits in homers between Erie and Toledo for the first time since 2003. A single Tuesday night gave him a .300 average with the Hens, something he hasn't had in a season at any level since he was an 18-year-old in the Gulf Coast League -- way back in 1998.

Then, Mud Hens hitting coach Leon Durham told him he was out of the game. He needed to go see manager Larry Parrish, who gave him what he'd been waiting years to hear.

"I think I didn't realize it right away," St. Pierre said. "I called my wife and my mom, got the answering machine right away, talked with my mom. After that, I realized I had goosebumps I think for an hour. Just relief that after everything I've done, I finally got there. It's a dream come true."

It wasn't just his dream.

"I was really excited for Max," Wells said. "I played with him at different levels throughout the last couple years. I'm so happy for him."
Wells met St. Pierre coming up through Erie a couple of years ago.

Utilityman Ramon Santiago played with St. Pierre nearly a decade ago, when neither of them spoke much English.

"It's an amazing story," Santiago said. "He's been playing for a long time. He played most every day with me when I was down in the Minor Leagues. I'm really happy for him."

Brandon Inge, who had a locker next to his for so many years in Spring Training, saw St. Pierre on his way in and told him it was about time he got here.

"It's really cool when you reward a guy who has worked his tail off for that many years," Inge said. "Just for his determination, his persistence, just to tough it out, I'm very pleased for him to get up here and get a little piece of the pie, and for the organization for sticking with a guy like that and giving him a reward."

A few minutes later, manager Jim Leyland walked through the clubhouse, saw him and asked him if he was nervous. If anybody could relate to St. Pierre on this club, it's Leyland, who spent seven seasons playing in the Tigers' farm system and never got above Double-A. He spent more than a decade after that managing in the Minors before he made his big league debut as a third-base coach with the White Sox in 1983 -- 20 years after he signed his first pro contract.

What happened after that is history. But still, Leyland said this summer that he would trade his managerial career to have played one game in the Majors.

Now that Leyland can fulfill someone else's dream, St. Pierre will reap the rewards.

"I'm thrilled for him," Leyland said. "He will play. He will get in a game, I will assure you."

Those were the in-person greetings he was getting. His phone went off all day. Looks like everybody back home saw that he made it.

"I've been getting emails and messages and texts out of control," St. Pierre said. "I'm enjoying it. I'm loving it to the maximum. I feel important. I know I've always been important to my friends, but there's so much support behind me -- it's just a great feeling."

He has pretty much made his phone calls and emails. Ezell was among his first after his family. When Ezell saw the message this morning and called back, St. Pierre was just getting on the plane. After they talked for a few minutes, he told Ezell he'd call him again when he got into the lineup.

Ezell is eagerly awaiting that call.

"This kid has been with us since he was 17," Ezell said. "He couldn't even speak English. I'm thrilled. For the organization to bring him up, I'm thrilled. This young man getting an opportunity to go to the big leagues -- yeah, a lot of us feel real good about Max St. Pierre."

Great story. Bonne chance, Max! :)

It is that time of year....

Boscan gets his big break after 14 years in the minors

6:40 pm September 1, 2010, by Carroll Rogers

To those outside the Braves organization, J.C. Boscan is an obscure name and his September call-up simply means Bobby Cox will have a third-string catcher from Gwinnett to turn to in an emergency.

For those within the Braves organization, Boscan’s call-up means so much more.

After 14 years in the minor leagues, including 12 with the Braves, Boscan finally got his day. In telling him the news Monday night, not only did Gwinnett manager Dave Brundage have tears in his eyes, he had three or four more coaches clamoring to come into his office, just to hear the news delivered.

As soon as Brundage directed him to sit down on the couch, Boscan said his lips started shaking. Boscan said it seemed like it took Brundage 30 minutes to tell him.

“He told me, ‘How long have you been playing?’” Boscan recalled.

“I said ‘14 years.’ He said, ‘That’s a long time.’ ‘Yes it’s a long time.’”

Finally, Brundage said: “Those days are over; you’re going to the Atlanta tomorrow.”

“Tears came out of my eyes, I put my head down,” Boscan said. “I didn’t know whether to cry, or laugh. It was a feeling I’ve been hoping, waiting for so long. I got up and he had tears in his eyes.”

When Boscan signed as a 16-year-old out of Venezuela, he and his father came to the stadium club at Atlanta Fulton-County Stadium. Later that year, in 1996, bench coach Chino Cadahia threw batting practice to him at the Braves old complex in West Palm Beach as a first-year coach for the Braves.

Boscan, now 30, caught in the Braves’ major league camp five or six years, but it was mostly to do the grunt work, catching in the bullpen and late in spring training games. The closest he got to the majors was in 2004 when the Braves sent him to instructional league to work out in case a catcher got hurt during their stretch run.

He said he thought about quitting only once, but it was only because he didn’t get much playing time in 2006 in the Brewers’ organization and thought nobody would re-sign him. But the Reds called, and he kept at it, eventually returning to the Braves two years ago.

“He’s a wonderful kid,” Braves manager Bobby Cox said. “He’s always been able to catch and throw. He’s probably had the best arm in the organization for the last 14 years.”

Bullpen coach Eddie Perez, a fellow Venezuelan who was a player when Boscan first signed, told Boscan instead of calling him Tuesday he wanted to wait and hug him in person. Cadahia called him to congratulate him.

“I told him to be here at 1 p.m. to block balls today, just to break him in the right way,” Cadahia said.

And was he?

“He was here at 1 p.m., but we didn’t block balls,” Cadahia said with a smile.

Here's something you don't hear too often.

A Red Sox game at Fenway is being postponed because of a hurricane.

This angers me.

Was really looking forward to the game tonight, and now it's rescheduled for noon tomorrow, which is when Illini football 2010 kicks off.

Yeah, I'm going to a friend's apartment to watch the football game. It will take precedence, but I will probably grab the remote and check on the baseball game during commercials/half time.

You can take those "good stories" and stick them up your asses. Here's the Tiger's line-up tonight:

1. Will Rhymes
2. Johnny Damon
3. Ryan Raburn
4. Brennan Boesch
5. Jhonny Peralta
6. Don Kelly
7. Brandon Inge
8. Alex Avila (as the DH)
9. (AND) Gerald Laird

The only thing interesting about this lineup is trying to figure out where to drop an "h".

You can take those "good stories" and stick them up your asses. Here's the Tiger's line-up tonight:

1. Will Rhymes
2. Johnny Damon
3. Ryan Raburn
4. Brennan Boesch
5. Jhonny Peralta
6. Don Kelly
7. Brandon Inge
8. Alex Avila (as the DH)
9. (AND) Gerald Laird

The only thing interesting about this lineup is trying to figure out where to drop an "h".

Thursday night's game was fucking fun to watch even if we lost.

The Detroit/MN series had some of the shittiest umping I've seen this year (for both sides).

Yeah, Neyer had a link to that article and I read it yesterday.....good read.

I sure hope he picks it up in the post-season, but, he really looks like shit lately.

It will most definitely be interesting to see how the off-season goes and such.

I thought I'd drop by this thread as I am always looking for new MLB 10 The Show opponents who are not retarded. Anyone up for an online game sometime?

Really weird game this afternoon at Fenway. A terribly umpired game. Back and forth. Mistakes from both sides.

Ultimately, though, a White Sox winner.

6 - 0 since the Manny signing.

King Felix has only given up 1 earned run in his last 6 starts for a 0.20 ERA over that stretch.

Back
Top Bottom