MLB '08 - Down The Stretch Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats...pretty sad. Losing 2 of 3 to the Reds?

Ironically, the Brewers got pasted 10-1 by the equally bad Padres, and therefore the Cubs magic number gets smaller.

The Phils took game one with a strong outing from Moyer, which means the bullpen is pretty fresh for game two, with a great Hamels-Santana matchup.

I cannot believe this. What worries me is not that we lose. It is how we lose...like blown out 12-1, or blowing a save like today. And even the one game we won, 13-9 is not a great outing for the pitching staff.

But all I can do is sit here, listen on the radio and curse here and there...and when it's all said and done, just say "here we go again..."

I still think we'll make the playoffs. I just hope we gain SOME momentum going into them.

p.s. I might add that a closer should think twice about walking 2 batters...:mad:

I'm with you Phil. This is infuriating more than anything else. And quite disappointing. This shouldn't even be a contest, and now we have to worry about the fact that we face the Brewers SIX times before the end of the season :banghead:

How funny would it be if Delgado was the MVP?

Battle for first place at Fenway this week. I'm fired up. Pennant race baseball is almost more fun without all the Sox/Yanks BS on top of it.

he's been so locked in over the past 2 months that when he hits a homerun early you almost expect him to hit another one. he has 6 multi-homer games in that stretch. it's absolutely amazing... he was DONE. so, so terrible. and now he's hitting as well as anyone in the game. unbelievable how quick things can change.

i know you're kidding... but it is sad that there are actually people out there who think that steroids or HGH can instantly turn your entire season around, as if they're some sort of magic super drug that turns bums into studs.

if anything amphetamines are much more likely to have a direct day to day impact on a player, while performance enhancers will have a greater long term effect. willie mays took amphetamines. he's from the glory days, though. so we'll hush hush on that.

I cannot believe this. What worries me is not that we lose. It is how we lose...like blown out 12-1, or blowing a save like today. And even the one game we won, 13-9 is not a great outing for the pitching staff.

But all I can do is sit here, listen on the radio and curse here and there...and when it's all said and done, just say "here we go again..."

I still think we'll make the playoffs. I just hope we gain SOME momentum going into them.

p.s. I might add that a closer should think twice about walking 2 batters...:mad:

I'm with you Phil. This is infuriating more than anything else. And quite disappointing. This shouldn't even be a contest, and now we have to worry about the fact that we face the Brewers SIX times before the end of the season :banghead:

But again, consider how Brewers fans feel right now. They did just as bad against an even worse team--the Padres have lost 6 more games than the Reds, and are in an even shittier division.

Not to mention the fact that THEY'RE the ones who are 4 games back. Sure, things could change drastically with 6 head-to-head games, but the Cubs would have to lose 5 of 6 for the Brewers to pass them up--not bloody likely.

Regardless of whether the Brewers pass them in the Central, they're heading to the playoffs, where any fucking thing can happen. Cubs fans ought to relax.

Oh, and that'll be the first time the Cubs advance to the post-season in back-to-back seasons since 1908, and we all know what also happened that season.

By the way, not winning a WS for 100 years is pretty fucking amazing, but not even going to the playoffs two years in a row for 100 years is no small feat.

I know every team goes through these stretches throughout the year, but God hates the Cubs.
Meh, the Angels' play has ranged from fair to suck over the last two weeks. Saturday's 15-inning loss to the Buzz Sox was lovely.

P erpetually
H aving
I ncredibly
L arge-scale (I'd have used "legion" here but I am afraid you illiterates would not recognize one of legion's applicable definitions here)
L osses
I n
E very
S eason

The Angels as a group are notorious for first-pitch swinging and just being aggressive batters in general. Does anyone else here follow a team that gives away so many at-bats? God, they can piss me off. Vlad is the master of swinging at ball after ball in the dirt. Hunter and Anderson love to make first-pitch outs. I swear they get off on it.

The Angels as a group are notorious for first-pitch swinging and just being aggressive batters in general. Does anyone else here follow a team that gives away so many at-bats? God, they can piss me off. Vlad is the master of swinging at ball after ball in the dirt. Hunter and Anderson love to make first-pitch outs. I swear they get off on it.

Some day the Angies will understand that the World Series is not won in June and July, probably not some day soon, but some day.

But again, consider how Brewers fans feel right now. They did just as bad against an even worse team--the Padres have lost 6 more games than the Reds, and are in an even shittier division.

Not to mention the fact that THEY'RE the ones who are 4 games back. Sure, things could change drastically with 6 head-to-head games, but the Cubs would have to lose 5 of 6 for the Brewers to pass them up--not bloody likely.

Regardless of whether the Brewers pass them in the Central, they're heading to the playoffs, where any fucking thing can happen. Cubs fans ought to relax.

Oh, and that'll be the first time the Cubs advance to the post-season in back-to-back seasons since 1908, and we all know what also happened that season.

By the way, not winning a WS for 100 years is pretty fucking amazing, but not even going to the playoffs two years in a row for 100 years is no small feat.

All of this is true, and I know I'm getting worked up over nothing, but I just would feel better going into the playoffs on a high note, rather than just miraculously squeaking in through the wild card, but I highly doubt that would happen, so I'm going to do something (which NSW probably thinks is impossible for me) and try and keep calm about the situation. But I mean, it HAS been 100 years, it's easy to get nervous.

All of this is true, and I know I'm getting worked up over nothing, but I just would feel better going into the playoffs on a high note, rather than just miraculously squeaking in through the wild card, but I highly doubt that would happen, so I'm going to do something (which NSW probably thinks is impossible for me) and try and keep calm about the situation. But I mean, it HAS been 100 years, it's easy to get nervous.

You should be nervous, but, be a little happy/excited, too. Playoff baseball is awesome, and making it two years in a row these days just aint easy. Last season, of the 8 teams in the playoffs, only one had been there the year before: The Yankees (who are obviously not going this season).

And, sure, you want to come charging into the playoffs with momentum, but, that guarantees nothing. The Phillies came flying into the playofs and were quickly bounced. The 2000 Yankees stumbled into the playoffs and won the WS. You just never know.

If you make it, and trot out Big Z, Harden and Dempster (assuming all 3 are healthy), well, that's a scary trio to face in the post-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom