Middle Intercourse Island superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mysterious_jen said:

i dont mind the stones, but not at the age they are now dammit !

I never could get into the Stones' music.

But Keith Richards' current zombie impression is good for jokes!

Pretty much all I dig of the Stones is Under My Thumb, even though the lyrics are just... arseholic. You've got to have some damn good music to make up for such misogyny.

French girls, they want cartier
Italian girls want cars
American girls want everything in the world
You can possibly imagine

English girls, they're so prissy
I cant stand them on the telephone
Sometimes I take the receiver off the hook
I don't want them to ever call at all

White girls, they're pretty funny
Sometimes they drive me mad
Black girls just wanna get fucked all night
I just don't have that much jam

I laugh at the last lyric there, Mick sees no shame in revealing that he's not good enough to fuck all night.

Such lyrics, though, are a good reason why I'm not exactly ape over the Stones.

The Sad Punk said:
French girls, they want cartier
Italian girls want cars
American girls want everything in the world
You can possibly imagine

English girls, they're so prissy
I cant stand them on the telephone
Sometimes I take the receiver off the hook
I don't want them to ever call at all

White girls, they're pretty funny
Sometimes they drive me mad
Black girls just wanna get fucked all night
I just don't have that much jam

I laugh at the last lyric there, Mick sees no shame in revealing that he's not good enough to fuck all night.

Such lyrics, though, are a good reason why I'm not exactly ape over the Stones.

... holy shit, that's terrible. All I can really do is laugh at it.

Axver said:

His was alright; when I listened to it earlier, I found it a bit better to what I expected. I forgot to award it a letter grade when I reviewed it. I think I'll give him a B-. Screwtape ... I'm tossing between A or A-.

I just spent the last hour reading everyone's playlist commentaries. Interesting stuff.

And tourist, when you read this, how the tournament works will be specifically explained when the Master List goes up sometime tomorrow.

And no, releasing only a few playlists at a time wouldn't have been my preference, but it was unavoidable due to some late entries. We needed to start listening ASAP so the beginning of the tournament wouldn't be delayed that much, so getting some playlists is better than none.

So, I'm done with Screwtape's tracklist. It gets a borderline A/A-.

The flow and atmosphere are done quite exceptionally. The first four tracks of Disc 1 in particular sound absolutely incredible together; that's an amazing tracklisting job right there. I like pretty much the entire first disc, really; even the Genesis song isn't bad.

Disc 2 creates its atmosphere very well, and deserves the title of The Arctic Circle. It's really artistic and brings forth mental images and soundscapes that fit the overall concept. However, a lot of it just isn't my kind of music. I do think the two live tracks at the end fit in better than others have said, though studio tracks would be more preferable. I mainly liked Plainsong, Heroine, Always Forever Now, and Aerial. I would have cut Lover's Spit, but then I don't like Broken Social Scene in the first place. The other songs that I didn't enjoy so much (mainly the first four) are at least important to creating the atmosphere and serve a clear purpose within the tracklist. Lover's Spit is a waste.

So, to summarise, disc one is a strong A+, while disc two is an A-/B+, thus A/A- overall. I expect this to be the tracklist besides my own that I enjoy the most. I'll be pleasantly surprised if anything else beats it.

Axver said:

... holy shit, that's terrible. All I can really do is laugh at it.

Really, lyrics aren't exactly a strong point of the most famous bands of all time, the Beatles, The Stones, the Beach Boys - they all wrote good music (no prizes for guessing the best in my opinion :wink:) but their lyrics usually stunk, with some exceptions.

I'm glad that at least for a little time Bono could write something decent.

The Sad Punk said:
Really, lyrics aren't exactly a strong point of the most famous bands of all time, the Beatles, The Stones, the Beach Boys - they all wrote good music (no prizes for guessing the best in my opinion :wink:) but their lyrics usually stunk, with some exceptions.

I'm glad that at least for a little time Bono could write something decent.

I'm sure some Beatles fans are coming to crucify you now for your heresy. How dare you criticise the most perfect band in all history. :tsk:

PFan inflicted Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds on me in his Desert Island playlist. Bah! :down:

I find myself swayed by the theory that Bono, perhaps more than many other lyricists, is swayed by what he is reading at the time of the album's recording. It seems a lot of the really great literature and poetry has fallen by the wayside recently as he globetrots and shakes politicians' hands, and consequently the lyrics have become astonishingly basic.

Axver said:

I'm sure some Beatles fans are coming to crucify you now for your heresy. How dare you criticise the most perfect band in all history. :tsk:

PFan inflicted Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds on me in his Desert Island playlist. Bah! :down:

I find myself swayed by the theory that Bono, perhaps more than many other lyricists, is swayed by what he is reading at the time of the album's recording. It seems a lot of the really great literature and poetry has fallen by the wayside recently as he globetrots and shakes politicians' hands, and consequently the lyrics have become astonishingly basic.

Ah, fuck the Beatles. Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em, fuck 'em, fuck 'em. Buncha Liverpudlian wankers that sang like goats.

:down: on PFan's LSD choice. At least it wasn't All You Need is Love. :wink:

I'm sure you're spot on with the last paragraph. Obviously, he was reading a lot of good stuff in the 80s and most of the 90s also. When there's that influence, people will probably write better, or at least have more of a crack at it. Supposedly he still reads, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're just different translations of the apparent holy books, because whatever he's reading isn't doing anything for his lyrics. Or he's become illiterate.

phillyfan26 said:

Greetings, PFan. I just spent the evening reviewing Screwtape's album. Begins around post 410 or so.

Did you get to the end of my playlist?

The Sad Punk said:

Ah, fuck the Beatles. Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em, fuck 'em, fuck 'em. Buncha Liverpudlian wankers that sang like goats.

:down: on PFan's LSD choice. At least it wasn't All You Need is Love. :wink:

I'm sure you're spot on with the last paragraph. Obviously, he was reading a lot of good stuff in the 80s and most of the 90s also. When there's that influence, people will probably write better, or at least have more of a crack at it. Supposedly he still reads, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're just different translations of the apparent holy books, because whatever he's reading isn't doing anything for his lyrics. Or he's become illiterate.

:love: You're awesome. I cannot at all comprehend why people praise the Beatles for their singing and vocal melodies and whatnot. I find their vocals to be truly some of the worst I've ever heard.

Back in the late eighties and early nineties, not only was Bono reading classic literature written by people with incredible commands of the English language, but he was even going as far as snippeting W. B. Yeats during Love Is Blindness and William Wordsworth and Jack Kerouac during Streets! Those days are long gone. It seems the best we can do for literary snippets are quotes written by a bunch of Middle Eastern shepherds, namely the Psalms. Come on, Bono, you can do better than that. Pick up some Dostoevsky or something, please.

phillyfan26 said:
Need to go to mass.

I'll check it out.

Did Khan review mine?

Not that I recall.

Right now, instead of doing essays, I'm putting together the most inaccessible tracklist I can.

Maybe I should title it Inaccessible Island in honour of the postwhorehouse's former home? :hmm:

Thoughts:

- I have AIM 5.9 too. :hi5:

- You share similar thoughts on Screwtape's list, although I thought less of the song quality on disc 2. It had atmosphere, but little else from that, IMO, so I gave Disc 2 a C, whereas Disc 1 was an A.

- I don't like Kate Bush. That song was the lowpoint of his playlist, IMO.

Axver said:

:love: You're awesome. I cannot at all comprehend why people praise the Beatles for their singing and vocal melodies and whatnot. I find their vocals to be truly some of the worst I've ever heard.

Back in the late eighties and early nineties, not only was Bono reading classic literature written by people with incredible commands of the English language, but he was even going as far as snippeting W. B. Yeats during Love Is Blindness and William Wordsworth and Jack Kerouac during Streets! Those days are long gone. It seems the best we can do for literary snippets are quotes written by a bunch of Middle Eastern shepherds, namely the Psalms. Come on, Bono, you can do better than that. Pick up some Dostoevsky or something, please.

I'm impressed I can find someone on a U2 forum that can agree with me on the Beatles to that extent. I certainly don't think they were terrible, just overrated, the Sacred Cow of popular music.

Irish writing has had an incredibly proud and decisive influence on modern literature. Why won't Bono quote Yeats anymore? Or anyone of actual worth, rather than some thousands-year old Jews that probably weren't aware of the plague that they were starting? Sometimes I wish Bono considered the secular members of the crowd...

phillyfan26 said:
Thoughts:

- I have AIM 5.9 too. :hi5:

- You share similar thoughts on Screwtape's list, although I thought less of the song quality on disc 2. It had atmosphere, but little else from that, IMO, so I gave Disc 2 a C, whereas Disc 1 was an A.

- I don't like Kate Bush. That song was the lowpoint of his playlist, IMO.

See, I felt that while the music on Disc 2 was not necessarily my thing, it really evoked soundscapes and mental images, worked very well together, and achieved its purpose.

I enjoyed the Kate Bush song mostly, but whatever the hell it is that's sampled around 2:30-3:00 is awful, and repeating it ad nauseum nearly ruins the whole song.

The Sad Punk said:
I'm impressed I can find someone on a U2 forum that can agree with me on the Beatles to that extent. I certainly don't think they were terrible, just overrated, the Sacred Cow of popular music.

Irish writing has had an incredibly proud and decisive influence on modern literature. Why won't Bono quote Yeats anymore? Or anyone of actual worth, rather than some thousands-year old Jews that probably weren't aware of the plague that they were starting? Sometimes I wish Bono considered the secular members of the crowd...

I've often been asked "you like U2 and Crowded House, so how can you possibly dislike the Beatles?" Well, here's the crucial thing: I like Bono and Neil Finn's voices, but I cannot stand the Beatles' vocals. Plus, I just don't think the Beatles wrote very good or interesting songs. Some of them feel quite disjointed and poorly composed, really. Lucy In The Sky and Help are two that come to mind immediately.

And yeah, they are way too much of a sacred cow. I don't think any band should ever be put on such a pedestal. You get the impression from some hyperbole that they are the be-all and end-all of music and just about invented it. Well, as a fan of The Shadows ... what a pile of codswallop! Hank Marvin did more for music than the Beatles ever did, or at least in terms of the guitar. Hank Marvin completely revolutionised the guitar and deserves so much more recognition than he gets. I consider him easily the greatest guitarist of all time.

And I agree on the literature count. Bono seemed so passionate about Irish literature at one point. I think it's pretty clear Wild Irish Rose owes a debt to that enthusiasm. Now? All I can do is sit back and count the kneels.

phillyfan26 said:
The laughing thing? Oh my God, that was beyond bad.

Yeah, and with the birds twittering. I just about wanted to skip the song at that, especially as IT KEPT GOING.

But then the song improved.

See you later! :wave:

mysterious_jen said:
i have an intense dislike of the beatles also , john lennon post beatles has some appeal, but fucking yoko ono.. oh god. :|

:up:

My favourite Beatle will always be Ringo Starr. Guess why. Yep, Thomas The Tank Engine. I don't really think of Ringo as a Beatle, really. He is forever The Guy Who Narrated Thomas to me. He was the definitive Thomas narrator and the episodes without him just don't seem right.

Axver said:

I've often been asked "you like U2 and Crowded House, so how can you possibly dislike the Beatles?" Well, here's the crucial thing: I like Bono and Neil Finn's voices, but I cannot stand the Beatles' vocals. Plus, I just don't think the Beatles wrote very good or interesting songs. Some of them feel quite disjointed and poorly composed, really. Lucy In The Sky and Help are two that come to mind immediately.

And yeah, they are way too much of a sacred cow. I don't think any band should ever be put on such a pedestal. You get the impression from some hyperbole that they are the be-all and end-all of music and just about invented it. Well, as a fan of The Shadows ... what a pile of codswallop! Hank Marvin did more for music than the Beatles ever did, or at least in terms of the guitar. Hank Marvin completely revolutionised the guitar and deserves so much more recognition than he gets. I consider him easily the greatest guitarist of all time.

And I agree on the literature count. Bono seemed so passionate about Irish literature at one point. I think it's pretty clear Wild Irish Rose owes a debt to that enthusiasm. Now? All I can do is sit back and count the kneels.

poster88377765sq2.jpg

(c) bono

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom