Middle Intercourse Island superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alisaura said:

Such a waste... :tsk:

I can't understand the logic of buying some huge, fancy house you'll never live in.

But then I've no idea of what it's like to be flush with more cash than you could ever need.

Secret Journey probably wouldn't feature in a ranking of my favourite Police songs, but it's atmospheric and fits really well in the playlist. Damn, nice segue into the Sigur Ros song. I really need to get into their music. It all seems quite beautiful and ethereal.

Hm. The first four songs fit so well together and this Smiths song sticks out a bit.

Plus I feel pretty negatively towards The Smiths at the moment.

Alisaura said:
You need to find a job that allows you to do running commentary on random playlists...

Have you considered community radio? :wink:

:lol:

That'd be fun but I've no idea how I'd get into it.

Well, the Bowie song works well after Bigmouth Strikes Again and is definitely one of the better Bowie songs I've heard.

The transition to LWTSH is certainly not as fluid as the segues between the first four tracks, but that was genius and I don't know how anybody's meant to maintain that sort of consistency for a whole tracklist. In any case, it's not as if the segue into LWTSH is jarring.

And it's the Extended Dance Mix of LWTSH. WIN. :up:

Why can't U2 make songs as good as this any more? :(

Well, they can, TGBHF, Native Son, and Smile are. AND THEY AREN'T ON ALBUMS!

Axver said:

That'd be fun but I've no idea how I'd get into it.
I know someone who's engaged to a guy who occasionally does bits on RRR... :hmm:

(Bit of a "father's cousin's uncle's brother's former room-mate" moment there!)

Alisaura said:

I know someone who's engaged to a guy who occasionally does bits on RRR... :hmm:

(Bit of a "father's cousin's uncle's brother's former room-mate" moment there!)

I've never even heard of RRR, but it sounds uncomfortably like a network run by Peterrrrr! :laugh:

I thought a Queen song after LWTSH looked good on paper, and indeed it is. I'm not familiar with Princes Of The Universe either.

Oh yes, Apprentice Of The Universe. Pure Reason Revolution for the huge motherfucking Epic SuperWin. :drool:

Here comes Screwtape's Genesis-a-thon. Supper's Ready ...

*has no idea what Ax is rambling about up til now* :wink:

Axver said:
Why can't U2 make songs as good as this any more? :(

Well, they can, TGBHF, Native Son, and Smile are. AND THEY AREN'T ON ALBUMS!
I'm honestly curious - does it actually make you happy to always compare other artist's great songs to those of U2, and bemoan U2's lacks in comparison?

U2 doesn't make songs that good (still not sure whose songs you were referring to :lol: ) because that other band already did... if you want those songs, go to that band... U2 makes the songs that they make.

You know that I have thoughts and wishes about what I'd love U2 to do, but I try not to dwell on it because it won't make any difference, except to make me miserable. :shrug:

Let it go, man... :wink:

This is why we listen to other artists, I guess, because one band can't possibly be EVERYTHING.
(You're going to say, 'Except Porucpine Tree' or something, so I'll just go :p now to save time) ... :wink:

Last edited:
Axver said:
I've never even heard of RRR, but it sounds uncomfortably like a network run by Peterrrrr! :laugh:
Oh gawd. :lol: ... :uhoh:

There's a lot of jazz and other non-mainstream stuff that goes on there, I think... never really listened to it, myself... TripleJ's as alternative as I get :wink:

Alisaura said:
*has no idea what Ax is rambling about up til now* :wink:

http://web.mac.com/phanan/DesertIsland/Desert_Island_IV.html

Scroll down to Screwtape's playlist, the last in Group 1.

I'm honestly curious - does it actually make you happy to always compare other artists great songs to those of U2, and bemoan U2's lacks in comparison?

I wasn't doing that! Screwtape's playlist includes the Extended Dance Mix of Lady With The Spinning Head, which unless I've been grossly mistaken for over five years is a U2 track! I was listening to that and wishing that present day U2 still sounded that good.

So your point, although good, is moot. :wink:

This is why we listen to other artists, I guess, because one band can't possibly be EVERYTHING.
(You're going to say, 'Except Porucpine Tree' or something, so I'll just go :p now to save time) ... :wink:

Actually, I'm kind of worried. Even the Porcupine Tree songs I didn't like, I enjoy now. It feels too fanladdish.

Well, except some of the really fucking weird stuff from before the first album, but that's from when Porcupine Tree was just a joke band and it doesn't really count ...

Oh, wait! I don't like How Is Your Life Today from Lightbulb Sun. Phew.

Let's see how big a list I can make here.

Kinda Crappy Porcupine Tree Songs From 1993 To The Present

- How Is Your Life Today (Lightbulb Sun, 2000)
- Access Denied (Recordings, 2001)

I'm also not keen on Lips Of Ashes from In Absentia, but I wouldn't go so far to call it "kinda crappy".

There are songs I don't really listen to, like a couple of pretty ambient tracks on Signify, but again, they aren't "kinda crappy". I just need to be in the right mood.

Bloody hell, two is the best I can do? Guess I am a fanlad then ...

OK, Supper's Ready has been controversial in all previous reviews of Screwtape's tracklist. I actually found the first 9:30 or so to be the most enjoyable music I've heard from Genesis. In other words, it's a good song by Genesis's standards; a bad song by the prog genre's standard.

But now it's changed into something less enjoyable ... let's see how this goes. Brave inclusion, for sure.

Edit: Oh non-existent Lord, this stuff around 12:45 is why I think Genesis makes a joke of prog.

Edit II: Not a bad instrumental passage around 18:30. And ha, "666 is the mark of the Lord", I like it.

Last edited:
Axver said:

Whatttttt!!!!!! Youth of today! :huh:

OK this a quick intercourse for me, gotta run, but really Ax, go listen to some community radio, 3RRR is the most famous, unis sometimes have a station and the stations are always looking for volunteers :yes: And you can be a total dictator on your shift and play whatever you want....

*former student radio announcer * :shifty:

Alisaura said:

Oh gawd. :lol: ... :uhoh:

There's a lot of jazz and other non-mainstream stuff that goes on there, I think... never really listened to it, myself... TripleJ's as alternative as I get :wink:

:lol: I don't listen to radio at all. I think the last time I turned on the radio willingly would've been in about 2002 or so. I remember I used to enjoy listening to the radio around 1993-99 ...

blueeyedgirl said:

Whatttttt!!!!!! Youth of today! :huh:

OK this a quick intercourse for me, gotta run, but really Ax, go listen to some community radio, 3RRR is the most famous, unis sometimes have a station and the stations are always looking for volunteers :yes: And you can be a total dictator on your shift and play whatever you want....

*former student radio announcer * :shifty:

I did once look up to see if Melbourne University has a radio station, but I didn't find anything. It would be tremendous fun and I know it'd be something I'd enjoy doing. Not so sure how many people would enjoy listening to my show though ... :wink:

Wow, the ~23 minutes of Supper's Ready disappeared pretty quickly. I'd say that it absolutely flogs everything on The Lamb Lies Down and Selling England By The Pound. It's by no means the best prog song on earth, but I didn't find it objectionable and it works on the playlist.

Now onto Screwtape's second disc ...

Axver said:

I did once look up to see if Melbourne University has a radio station, but I didn't find anything. It would be tremendous fun and I know it'd be something I'd enjoy doing. Not so sure how many people would enjoy listening to my show though ... :wink:
I'm sure there's a 3.00 am slot just perfect for prog rock... :wink:

blueeyedgirl said:

I'm sure there's a 3.00 am slot just perfect for prog rock... :wink:

:lmao:

Knowing prog nerd sleeping habits, that's probably prime time for all five of them to tune in too. :wink:

blueeyedgirl said:
A quick google found me this Somewhere you should find a home....

Well that's my 3 posts for the thread! :wave:

Thanks, will have a look through it.

Have a good one! :wave:

Axver said:
I did know you were talking about Desert Island stuff... I just haven't felt inclined to check it out yet (also, too lazy) ... :reject:

I wasn't doing that! Screwtape's playlist includes the Extended Dance Mix of Lady With The Spinning Head, which unless I've been grossly mistaken for over five years is a U2 track! I was listening to that and wishing that present day U2 still sounded that good.

So your point, although good, is moot. :wink:
Perhaps in this specific instance it's moot, but it's an underlying theme of your "why can't U2 do things like this other band does" ... stuff. :D
And I dunno if comparing present-day U2 to past-U2 is the same thing or not... :hmm:

Point still is, U2 sounds the way they do, and no amount of whining/wishing on our part will change that...

:wink:

Axver said:
Let's see how big a list I can make here.

Kinda Crappy Porcupine Tree Songs From 1993 To The Present

- How Is Your Life Today (Lightbulb Sun, 2000)
- Access Denied (Recordings, 2001)

I'm also not keen on Lips Of Ashes from In Absentia, but I wouldn't go so far to call it "kinda crappy".

Bloody hell, two is the best I can do? Guess I am a fanlad then ...
Ha ha! Axver is a fanboy.... :wink:

*thought that when you were saying "Supper's Ready" before, you were going to have dinner.... :der: *

Well, the first three tracks of Screwtape's second disc are ... interesting. They set a very strong atmosphere and serve the playlist well. Not quite my kind of thing, though. I don't think I'd be likely to return to them.

Axver said:
Monash had/has a radio station... :tongue:

Alisaura said:

Monash had/has a radio station... :tongue:

Just found this comment on 3RRR's page:

Today, 3RRR is Australia's most well known community broadcasting station and has the continuing involvement of RMIT and Melbourne University following the withdrawal of most of the tertiary institutions in the early eighties.

Take that, Monash!

Axver said:
Well, the first three tracks of Screwtape's second disc are ... interesting. They set a very strong atmosphere and serve the playlist well. Not quite my kind of thing, though. I don't think I'd be likely to return to them.

This applies to the fourth track too. Eerie and atmospheric, suits the tracklist, and all four of those songs flow very well, but I'm in no hurry to return!

Now I'm onto The Cure's Plainsong. :drool:

Apart from Untitled, this is my favourite song on Disintegration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom