MERGED-->Will Live 8 in North America? + Live 8 time?? +Australia's Live 8 "Broadcast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IrishDawg

Refugee
Will Live 8 be on TV in North America?

Sorry if this has already been covered but I haven't been able to find out if any of the stations would be covering the event so it would be on TV. The site on AOL that talks about Live 8 was useless last time I checked. Thanks!

Considering the fact one of the Live 8 shows is in Philadelphia, I have a hard time believing that it won't be shown.

I was wondering this myself too. I dont think they have made a tv annoucment yet. I guess were gonna have to buy the DVD when it comes out. Was the original on Tv in 1985?

thetitans2k said:
IWas the original on Tv in 1985?

Yes.

Heck, my mother watched the thing in New Zealand. If the original's anything to go by, Live 8 will be on TV worldwide.

I saw the original one aired on TV a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure that it won't be. I would just like to know when the one in London airs, if at all. I could care less about Phili.

Axver said:

Yes.

Heck, my mother watched the thing in New Zealand. If the original's anything to go by, Live 8 will be on TV worldwide.

That's good then. I would hate missing U2, Coldplay, the Killers, and a bunch of other awesome bands/artist that I can't remember off the top of my head. It'll be hard for them to top the SBS/Bad from 20 years ago though.

IrishDawg said:
I saw the original one aired on TV a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure that it won't be. I would just like to know when the one in London airs, if at all. I could care less about Phili.

I wasn't alive in 1985, but from what I have picked up, I think for the original, the TV broadcast switched between Philadelphia and London. I am expecting a similar thing to happen this time, though of course, that's just some assumption I made with no facts to back it up.

This time, I think they should just broadcast London. It's got such a sensational lineup whereas you'd have to pay me (and pay me well!) to go to the Philly show.

Here here. Could care less about Philly. All about London. Saw where R.E.M. is on that bill too (gotta support the local boys!). This could be as good if not better than the original Live Aid.

Viacom owned Tv stations will be the ones showing, meaning MTV will be showing some, and hopefully MTV2 will showing the bulk of the shows live

I hope they only show London. Its basically the only one that I care about. The others are so inferior as far as im concerned.

flangerchorus said:
Viacom owned Tv stations will be the ones showing, meaning MTV will be showing some, and hopefully MTV2 will showing the bulk of the shows live

Damn. Is this for sure?

I dont get MTV in Canada. Hopefully some Canadian affiliate will pick it up.

^^

I guess that means we can watch it online and choose which one to watch...? :eyebrow:

Damn. Is this for sure?

I dont get MTV in Canada. Hopefully some Canadian affiliate will pick it up.

I saw/read that CTV will broadcast all day long.

CTV will be doing all of the Canadian concert and parts of the others...they'll be covering it for half a day.

nice... hopefully CTV picks up U2. The canadian show is pretty weak. Alot of has been Canadian artists. Personally ive had enough of Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings. They are old, bad and should just stop.

Has a schedule been published of what order the acts will be and when they will take the stage?

I'd like to see as much (of the London concert) as possible, but I specifically do not want to miss U2 or Pink Floyd.

i really hope people get their PVRs ready and record all of the feeds because theres no guarantee that we will get this on DVD or that all of the performances will be on the DVD (The Live Aid DVD Set is missing about 1/3rd of the performances)

i'm hoping to hook up mine to my brother's digital tv box :)

An article I think I read on this site quoted Bono as saying he wouldn't guarantee he would be on the stage . . . did I imagine that or did anyone else see it?

BEVERLY56 said:
An article I think I read on this site quoted Bono as saying he wouldn't guarantee he would be on the stage . . . did I imagine that or did anyone else see it?

Well, in that case we would have U2 without Bono on the bill :lmao: that doesn't ring true in my ears :wink:

How could u2 play without Bono. Come one. This is obviously not real.

I cant miss U2 or Pink Floyd. The Stones would be nice to see as well.

So is it going to be commercial free?

Also:
In an unprecedented global music initiative, MTV Networks services around the world will air customized programming* from the upcoming Live 8 concerts being held in multiple international venues on July 2nd, potentially reaching a world-wide audience of more than 1 billion people.

*I dont like the sound of that. Hit me with the BBC feed.

Last edited:
bcrt2000 said:
i really hope people get their PVRs ready and record all of the feeds because theres no guarantee that we will get this on DVD or that all of the performances will be on the DVD (The Live Aid DVD Set is missing about 1/3rd of the performances)

i'm hoping to hook up mine to my brother's digital tv box :)

Youre kidding right?

The only reason that they missed a third of the preformances on the original DVD is that the tape was lost over 20 years. Back in 1985( I wasnt born yet even) they didnt have DVD or any good medium to sell the shows on. i guess VHS but it sucks ass.

Some one should tape it though as i just found out i will be no where near a TV on July 2.

thetitans2k said:

Youre kidding right?

The only reason that they missed a third of the preformances on the original DVD is that the tape was lost over 20 years. Back in 1985( I wasnt born yet even) they didnt have DVD or any good medium to sell the shows on. i guess VHS but it sucks ass.

Some one should tape it though as i just found out i will be no where near a TV on July 2.

Geldof didn't want to release Live Aid on DVD, he only did it because he saw one guy selling boots for 100 pounds each. Geldof also didn't want to do Live 8 because he didn't think he could out do Live Aid... and so theres a possibility he won't put Live 8 on DVD

also the tapes aren't lost... BBC & MTV still have their feeds preserved; they put them on TV every once in a while, and they have some of the missing performances (like Led Zeppelin)

Last edited:
According to Bob Geldoff in a recent Time Magazine, they have funded the production costs by auctioning the rihgts to the DVD and from the text message ticket lottery -- so a DVD of some sort is likely.

The website, www.live8live.com does not yet list who will perform when, though one would think they would publish the order and tv coverage.

What I DO NOT want to see is a bunch of MTV veejays consuming air time, give me the music, and not JJ Goodman talking to Paris Hilton and other (allegedl) celebrities about their impressions of the show, Africa, or anything else for that matter.

We'd like to watch the music and the performers, save the commentary for tabloid television.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom