MERGED ----> Vertigo??? + New album...Vertigo??? + New album name news at atu2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I kinda like it as well. As weird as it may be, it reminds me somehow of those pics of the band inside that empty swimming pool in Portugal. Lets wait and see :)

Cheers
MT

So it looks it may be called VERTIGO. What does it mean? What images come to mind? What will the album then be about? How will affect the Tour?
VERTIGO
Gone: ?Taking steps that make you feel dizzy / then you learn to like the way it feels?
Last Night on Earth: ?The world turns, and we get dizzy / Feels like we're slipping away?
Both solid studio rock tunes and they both rock out even better when done live. I hope the new album goes mainly in that direction. Looking more like a stadium tour too which needs some heavy hard mothers. Vertigo ? imagine the light show and the screen images!
DICTIONARY:
1. ?The sensation of dizziness.?
2. ?A confused, disoriented state of mind.? Note: more of a darker / heavier / potentially menacing type of connotation.
3. A reeling sensation; feeling about to fall [syn: dizziness, giddiness, lightheadedness] Note: "giddiness" which has more of lighter / brighter / upbeat connotation. ?An impulsive scatterbrained manner [syn: silliness]? ?Word History: The word giddy refers to fairly lightweight experiences or situations, but at one time it had to do with profundities. Giddy can be traced back to the same Germanic root *gud- that has given us the word God. The Germanic word *gudigaz formed on this root meant ?possessed by a god.? Such possession can be a rather unbalancing experience, and so it is not surprising that the Old English descendant of *gudigaz, gidig, meant ?mad, possessed by an evil spirit,? or that the Middle English development of gidig, gidi, meant the same thing, as well as ?foolish; mad (used of an animal); dizzy; uncertain, unstable.? Our sense ?lighthearted, frivolous? represents the ultimate secularization of giddy.?
THESAURUS:
"Definition: unconsciousness. Synonyms: blackout, collapse, coma, dizziness, grayout, insensibility, knockout, stupor, swoon, syncope"

Last edited:
A.)If ATYCLB was ?flying so high? = Elevation / up in the sky seeing that ?after the flood all the colours came out? = Beautiful Day / leaving it all behind so like ?A singing bird in an open cage who will only fly, only fly for freedom? = Walk On. The new album could react to these positive / upbeat / joyful images and sounds. A continuation of that experience and feeling but now dealing with some of the after effects. Good and bad side effects. U2 is ?dizzy? with joy / confidence / hope / faith / commitment to making the world better place despite the darkness / fear / apathy / etc. that is all around us. Therefore ? indicating that U2 is still ?giddy? / it?s still a ?beautiful day? = ATYCLB Part ll but with a few more rock songs instead?
B.) The world is different place since ATYCLB. We have had 911. Terror Alert Status. The ?invasion? of Iraq. World protest. And now more soldiers are killed everyday than during the war itself! No weapons Of Mass Destruction found. Bush & Friends are getting rich through Halliburton. Whatever happened to Enron and those other huge corporate scandals before 911??? The 911 Commission. Former Security Chief Richard Clarke's new book. Bob Woodward's new book. Michael Moore. We?re dizzy from fear. We?re dizzy by all the mis-information fed to us by Bush. And particularly for Bono - The First World is still NOT seeing AIDS in Africa as an emergency. We are still moving too slow like we are drunk and dizzy with our wealth and comfort. And people like Bono / social activists / Africans are pissed ? to say the least.
C.) Playing with their ?age? and the potential reaction to a vibrant energetic rock album: ?Aren?t U2 too old to rock? Too old be relevant? If they tried to rock and rock hard wouldn?t they just wind up with a bad case of vertigo? And fall on their faces??
D.) ?Put your head above the parapet? = Always. ATYCLB / the Elevation Tour / The Super Bowl performance / the Grammies / etc. were all very successful in ?damage control? and putting U2 back on top ? back to the high heights. For the last 5 years Bono has been very successful is in his diplomatic campaign for Africa and The Third World. He is admired / praised / he gets in the door with world political and business leaders / Nobel Peace Prize nominations year after year / etc. He is ?Mr. Articulate? / ?Mr. Charming? / ?Mr. Nice Guy? which is great and it is necessary. However ? he may be bit tired / frustrated / and dizzy with this type of success and this type of approach. Vertigo could indicate the desire to ?blow some steam.? About taking more ?risks? musically and lyrically. The band and Bono challenging themselves more. Not a 360 turn but more aggressive musically and lyrically. Willing to embrace some vertigo by getting on / balancing on a tightrope.

Last edited:
as much as i think that "Vertigo" is a cool name, i'm more worried about what the album will sound like.

Hrmm probably..
But I don't want to jump on the bandwagon just yet.

Maybe it's some U2 business venture name??

Still, none-the-less Vertigo seems like an interesting album title. I just wonder how it's reflective of the music to be on the album.

Yeah! How about us feeling some vertigo again. Like when we first heard The Fly. Like when we first saw The Fly video. A song / a sound / an authority that came after us ? willing to chase us down a darkened back alley. The vertigo of the ZOOTV The Fly ? the messages blitzing us from the screens and the part where lights flash on and off in rapid fire while Bono stretched his arms wide up in the air jumping up and down like a maniac. Like Elevation Tour?s Until The End Of The World with it?s black and white lights shooting on and off in the arena and on the Heart stage to the point of dizziness. The quick shot of The Edge?s face on the Boston DVD when The Fly unleashes its fury. If somebody got in his face at that moment he?d rip flesh with his teeth. I?ll even take some of that vertigo when hearing Larry?s booming cannon drum intro and seeing Bono react to it like a wave / an energy force pushing him ? throwing him - backwards at the beginning of Zoo Station.

U2Soar said:
Yeah! How about us feeling some vertigo again. Like when we first heard The Fly. Like when we first saw The Fly video. A song / a sound / an authority that came after us ? willing to chase us down a darkened back alley. The vertigo of the ZOOTV The Fly ? the messages blitzing us from the screens and the part where lights flash on and off in rapid fire while Bono stretched his arms wide up in the air jumping up and down like a maniac. Like Elevation Tour?s Until The End Of The World with it?s black and white lights shooting on and off in the arena and on the Heart stage to the point of dizziness. The quick shot of The Edge?s face on the Boston DVD when The Fly unleashes its fury. If somebody got in his face at that moment he?d rip flesh with his teeth. I?ll even take some of that vertigo when hearing Larry?s booming cannon drum intro and seeing Bono react to it like a wave / an energy force pushing him ? throwing him - backwards at the beginning of Zoo Station.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

From The Office of U2 Security

Another thing to consider... if you can remember back a few months, there was a story about a technology that u2 was rumored to be interested in using for their next tour... the "audio spotlight," which could throw sound around an arena the same way a spotlight throws light. If you think of what that might be like, the word "Vertigo" just might come to mind. Stay tuned...

Last edited:
This thread has a lot of great posts!

I love this name and think it's a great choice.

In the UNCUT/NME special on U2 that came out last year, there was a reprint of a "My Favorite Things" list by Bono. He said his favorite actress was Kim Novak. Among Ms. Novak's movies was..."Vertigo."

Headache in a Suitcase said:
From The Office of U2 Security

Another thing to consider... if you can remember back a few months, there was a story about a technology that u2 was rumored to be interested in using for their next tour... the "audio spotlight," which could throw sound around an arena the same way a spotlight throws light. If you think of what that might be like, the word "Vertigo" just might come to mind. Stay tuned...

Exactly, Holosonic Logistics or whatever it was called. The effect itself sounds more than exciting.

I thought ATYCLB was a good title even though it was long.
In retrospect, I think the album would have been more appropriately named something like Joy or Jubilee.
Anyone remember when we thought it was going to be called 'Drive'? That rumor is probably 5 years old.

The album title "should" be the first domino to fall.
After that it's pretty much downhill.......well, hopefully.

I think it's a pretty good name.

Now, how would it relate to the Portuguese photo shoot?

So far the only problem with the name I can come up with is name recognition. I mean come on. There has to be a lot of people who really don't know what vertigo is and let's face it, they aren't going to check a dictionary after seeing a U2 album in the store.

Other than that I think the message conveyed is a cool one and I like it better than any of the other rumored titles.:wink:

Hmmm, methinks that U2 is getting somewhere with this album thing. Vertigo is pretty freakin' cool. I'm buying it!!!

But, alas if we think this is the last rumor we're going to hear, then how's about taking a look at this bridge I have for sale......???:wink:

headache took the words right out of my mouth.
right when i saw vertigo in the title as a possible album name or tour name i thought about that holosonics thing and how it could be used to achieve a vertigo type of atmosphere.

btw, i saw the audio spotlight on animal planet when they were talking about dolphins' sonar. they cut to a clip of some dude displaying how the audio spotlight worked and he had a laser pen installed into the center of the speaker and when he pointed the laser into the camera you could hear it and as soon as he moved an inch away it went silent, it was f-ing cool

New album - Vertigo???

Over at @U2, Matt is speculating that the new album will be called Vertigo. What do you think?

Check it out on the home page.

VERTIGO ***** the best possible title so far
reason against is, that there already exist albums titled "VERTIGO" e.g. by groove armada, jesse cook, rene marie, jump little children (btw the singer sounds a bit like bono)

Although it wasn't a box-office success when originally released in 1958, Vertigo has since taken its deserved place as Alfred Hitchcock's greatest, most spellbinding, most deeply personal achievement. In fact, it consistently ranks among the top 10 movies ever made in the once-a-decade Sight & Sound international critics poll, placing at number 4 in the most recent survey. (Universal Pictures' spectacularly gorgeous 1996 restoration and rerelease of this 1958 Paramount production was a tremendous success with the public, too.) James Stewart plays a retired police detective who is hired by an old friend to follow his wife (a superb Kim Novak, in what becomes a double role), whom he suspects of being possessed by the spirit of a dead madwoman. The detective and the disturbed woman fall ("fall" is indeed the operative word) in love and...well, to give away any more of the story would be criminal. Shot around San Francisco (the Golden Gate Bridge and the Palace of the Legion of Honor are significant locations) and elsewhere in Northern California (the redwoods, Mission San Juan Batista) in rapturous Technicolor, Vertigo is as lovely as it is haunting.
--Jim Emerson / amazon

Last edited:
Streets would be the best song for the audio spotlight, especially Edge's guitar

But Vertigo is awesome

Posted by jacobus
Vertigo is as lovely as it is haunting.

when i read this, i automatically thought of AB, especially 'acrobat' and 'love is blindness'- both lovely and haunting. just a little bit of that in the next album would be so welcome

also, vertigo sounds like a great title. though theyve remained the same group of guys making truly meaningful music, they are again in a state of change. i can only guess that their new sounds and the efforts put into achieving them were turning them inside out, upside down, in order to make something theyve never heard come from themselves.

VERTIGO ***** the best possible title so far
reason against is, that there already exist albums titled "VERTIGO" e.g. by groove armada, jesse cook, rene marie, jump little children (btw the singer sounds a bit like bono)

Although it wasn't a box-office success when originally released in 1958, Vertigo has since taken its deserved place as Alfred Hitchcock's greatest, most spellbinding, most deeply personal achievement. In fact, it consistently ranks among the top 10 movies ever made in the once-a-decade Sight & Sound international critics poll, placing at number 4 in the most recent survey. (Universal Pictures' spectacularly gorgeous 1996 restoration and rerelease of this 1958 Paramount production was a tremendous success with the public, too.) James Stewart plays a retired police detective who is hired by an old friend to follow his wife (a superb Kim Novak, in what becomes a double role), whom he suspects of being possessed by the spirit of a dead madwoman. The detective and the disturbed woman fall ("fall" is indeed the operative word) in love and...well, to give away any more of the story would be criminal. Shot around San Francisco (the Golden Gate Bridge and the Palace of the Legion of Honor are significant locations) and elsewhere in Northern California (the redwoods, Mission San Juan Batista) in rapturous Technicolor, Vertigo is as lovely as it is haunting.
--Jim Emerson / amazon

Back
Top Bottom