MERGED--> Verdicts on Mercy + Mercy is a new track + Mercy is deffinetly not a good s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not to hijack the thread, but does anyone wanna send me Walk to the Water and Luminous Times too? I'd love ya forever, seriously...I have like NO 80's U2 b-sides... :sad:

My email is woolymammals@gmail.com. Like I said I'll love you forever - and you can have a gmail invite :D

I think Mercy's growing on me... the lyrics are GREAT. some of his best ever.

edit: I accidently put Walk On Water instead of Walk to the Water :lol: I was thinking of that Blender article, y'know, it talks about Mercy and such...

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question at this point (and back hand me with a chainsaw if it is), but how do we know this is indeed Mercy? Is it in the lyrics?

it's alright, i don't think it's really THAT great, but it's a decent little tune. i'm glad it's not on the album.

the best bside ever, this song es awesome, but really really awesome!!!! the song don't need a cut or anything else.....the bass, the drums, and the guitars are really beautiful.....but....where did this song came from!.....the lyrics are the most emotional since until the end of the world!!

I love this song. Just listened to it again. I can't praise Edge's guitar enough, but again it's that sound that makes you happy and glad to be alive, not to mention these are some of Bono's better lyrics. :drool: :drool:

whoa it is the best b-side ever.......But I do not see where it would have fit on HTDAAB.....great song though

Just listened again, it's not a bad song but it sounds unfinished to me. Thats' the reason for not including it on the album, I would have thought. It sounds like it doesn't quite get where it's trying to go. Sounds very much like this was an early take of the song with not much added afterwards. Just a live sounding recording.

Have Mercy

One person griped that Mercy is U2 sounding too much like U2. Then who the hell are they supposed to sound like if they're not allowed to sound like themselves?! This is what U2 sound like, so build a bridge and get over it (I recall Edge said something similar to Bono, only with more swear words).

Another person suggested that U2 should consult fans when deciding track-listings of new albums. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! God almighty, please, nooooooooooo!

Last edited:
Has anyone caught elements of "Always" floating in "Mercy"? It's there, especially a certain guitar riff, and some of the structure.

I can not believe U2 decided to cut "Mercy" from HTDAAB. This is possibly one of the best songs they have ever created. It sounds to me like an album closer ... I can happily stop listening to music after "Mercy", it feels like completion, full circle, reaching a beautiful conclusion.

Well, this is my one and only post on Interference.com. I really can't stomach the negative people who say "this song is crap" or "the album sucks" or "I hate ATYCLB" ... with a band like U2, you can not say you hate a particular song or an entire album, because someone somewhere likes it. My philosophy is: I don't hate any U2 song, but there are songs that I like better than others. ;-)

Put a positive spin on it, folks ... if it doesn't push your buttons, fine, leave it at that, but if it floats your boat, then enjoy it. U2 is a creative outlet and we must allow the artist to create their own art, not shove expectations in their faces ... with U2, que sera sera, and that's their true beauty.

p.s. how the hell do you post a new thread in this place?

alright I can't stop listening to this track.
it's like the raw flow-of-thought lyric from UF...
with the driving bass of JT...
and ringing urgency of Boy-era guitar...
with the grown-up darkness of AB...

oh my friggin god. I can't. stop. listening. to. this.
I've been waiting for this since 1993.
I can't decide whether it makes me want to cry with relief or happiness or just plain track-takes-over-my-brain.....

I live for this....

An album where a finished version of this song would fit on, would have the potential to be their best album ever.

That's how I feel about this DEMO.

Mercy reminds me of Where Did It All Go Wrong, a good and raw b-side. Not good enough for the album IMHO, but one of the best b-sides.

This is very UF.

I consider Walk to the Water an excellent b-side and Night and Day their best cover. Two Shots of Happy is also a very very good song.

Mercy now stands up there as one of the BEST SONGS ever done by U2 IMO. A shame that it's not in the album.

Mercy is fantastic. Glad it's not on the album. (just doesn't seem to fit).

I am praying though that it'll be a hidden track after yahweh...

so far the B-sides disc for the Best of 2000-2010 is shaping up to be pretty good... even though it will only two albums to choose from. (d'oh... that probably means more remixes)

Hopefully they put Always and Big Girls Are Best on the next GH. I'm not huge fans of them, but they do deserve to be on a B-sides CD. So many 90's B-sides went unnoticed on the Best of 1990-2000.

Wow, Mercy is fast becoming one of my favourite U2 songs! The emotion in the song is just great, and Bono's vocals are just chilling...like others have said they really need to use this as an album track in the future, it has got "album closer" written all over it.

This whole week has been like a dream. I hope we don't have to wake up.

Mercy soars!!! It's awesome!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom