MERGED--> new album 20th november! +New Best Of on November 20th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they're turning into KISS...

what's next...

Adam Condoms?

Bono bowling balls?

Edge's bubbleheads?

Larry's dinner plates?

:grumpy:

it's all I say (and I love Kiss.. look at my name)

Axver is making the most sense in this thread! Good on you, mate! Even if I disagree with you strongly on 'Zoochtung'! :happy: :wink:

Axver said:
And there is part of the problem. U2 means - meant? - something. Sunday Bloody Sunday, Gloria, The Unforgettable Fire, Like A Song, Mothers Of The Disappeared. This isn't just a band in it for laughs, riches, and girls. This isn't a "stocking stuffer" band.

119101EKMJ_w.jpg

If that's the case, U2 died 8 years ago with the first best of. Everything since has been made by a band of thieves just waiting to steal our purses. :wink:

Like I said before; what's the backlash over this one for? They've already made two of them (both disappointing).

Michael Griffiths said:

According to U2.com, the new song is produced by Rick Rubin, so it's unlikely it'll be 'Mercy' unless Rick Rubin re-produced it.

it is probably all my life

dabiggestu2fan said:
if it is MERCY I am going to shoot myself!!!!

Like i've said in a hundred different threads before MERCY sucks and I wipe my ass with it!

Nico

"I Believe" Bitches!

you have said it in 44 threads we know thanks for telling us again. Maybe if you tell us one more time, we will all stop liking it just like you.

Well there's sure to be some activity in 'Peeling of those Dollar Bills' when this gets released.

pepokiss said:
they're turning into KISS...

what's next...

Adam Condoms?

Bono bowling balls?

Edge's bubbleheads?

Larry's dinner plates?

:grumpy:

it's all I say (and I love Kiss.. look at my name)

Are they really though? Everything they sell and market is not so much their likeness but so much their music. All they're doing is selling their music. Where-as bands like Kiss just attatch their likeness to things like dolls and such.

The Cure released 2 BEST OF albums: Standing on the Beach ('79-'86) and Galore ('86-'96) and they did OK.

Then they released a GREATEST HITS album which covererd both periods and it sold like hotcakes.

Record companies, U@ and their management all know that this is simply a marketing ploy. And they know that we know it's a marketing ploy. But we'll all buy it for the new tracks (and to complete our collections).

I just hope and pray there's a limited edition version with a live album or something to make it all worth while.

MrBrau1 said:

Yes, but it destroyed their legacy.

Does anyone actually think of The Beatles as great artistic songwriters anymore?

No.

Any merit in their old melodies and tunes was DESTROYED that fateful day in 2000.

ROFL. Brilliant! :happy: I'm with Headache and MrBrau on this one.

For the posters who are so upset about this... Yes, it's a lame move, but in the end, who cares? This isn't going to taint U2's "legacy". If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that. Run away from it. Far away. Officially "resign" (*gulp*!) as a U2 fan. The fandom (and this board, I'm sure) as a whole will surely shake and dissipate since you no longer will be a part of it. Smash your copies of ATYCLB, HTDAAB and this new best-of, burn your Elevation/Vertigo concert photos and hopefully your souls will be cleansed of this horrible, horrible travesty.

Gosh, I just don't know if U2 will be able to sell any more tickets or albums, because surely this loss of a few fans will be absolutely crippling. :sad:

Last edited:
I'm finding this news difficult to accept.

Does anyone else think this "Best Of" is a means to cover up an album of all new material.

Maybe my conspiracy theory mind is working overtime.

MrBrau1 said:

Yes, but it destroyed their legacy.

Does anyone actually think of The Beatles as great artistic songwriters anymore?

No.

Any merit in their old melodies and tunes was DESTROYED that fateful day in 2000.

:lmao:

RABIDLAMB said:
I'm finding this news difficult to accept.

Does anyone else think this "Best Of" is a means to cover up an album of all new material.

Maybe my conspiracy theory mind is working overtime.

Possibility, but very unlikely as it would be a negative marketing move. They've already announced its release quite close to when it will actually come out so we're unlikely to see a change in that. Plus the Green Day collaboration is going to be on it and I can't see that being on a full U2 album. Still I really like your theory!

On the best of though surely they will have to do something to make hardcore fans buy it or to give value for money. Why wouldn't they do something akin to the b-sides collections for the past two albums? Or something akin to what Springsteen did with his two and three-disc versions of the 'Essential'.

Irvine511 said:

they always seemed to be able to succeed despite not pandering (at least overtly) to the commercial element of things. i wanted them to sell albums, i wanted them to be popular, but i never wanted them to make the effort needed to actually be popular (do commercials, go on TRL, etc). i thought they were above that, and, yes, better than that.

How did you feel when they did MTV awards in the 90's ?

Now in 1992 they had just released a massive album and were into a massive tour - both hugely popular, unlike 2000 coming off two less-than-massive albums and a less-then-sellout tour for the first time ever. They were younger, and 4/5 years behind their conquest of US market. It's not like JT was a distant past then.

Now, 40 and beyond, and in the current music climate in US, the effort IS needed. Even with all the work and promotion, the best they can do is one single in top 30 in America and everything post first single basically tanks. (ok, so maybe Stuck in a moment is an exception) How many average 15 year olds now would know what JT, or even AB is?

Anyone else getting a feeling of a massive pre-end of career cleaning up? Zoo TV DVD, Popmart DVD to come out, the biography, the definitive Best of their career...all that's missing is Red Rocks on DVD.

U2MDfan: I hope they have a great album in them too, not that I feel it would silence the critisicm of their business affairs. They tried with Eno and Lanois, maybe Rubin is the man for the third "masterpiece"?

There is a possibility that the contract said "make the Best ofs in 4 years' time apart" - so Best of 1 in 1998, Best of 2 in 2002 and Best of 3 in 2006. Still, it's a shame they're repeating the songs already repeated on previous Best ofs.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
I agree with Axver's point about making it a harder choice for a casual fan looking for a "best of," but then again, they're never going to be able to please everyone. Many people will likely end up having a real favorite that's not available on one hits CD or the other.
The choice is not very hard, the 80/90 was a bestseller, nobody cared of the 90/00.
The competition is only between this new Best Of and the 80/90 one
Considering that the 1st Best Of was released 8 years ago, most people already forgot it.

U2girl said:

Now in 1992 they had just released a massive album and were into a massive tour - both hugely succesful, unlike 2000 coming off two less-than-massive albums and a less-then-sellout tour for the first time ever. They were younger, and 4/5 years behind their conquest of US market. It's not like JT was a distant past then.

Now, 40 and beyond, and in the current music climate in US, the effort IS needed. Even with all the work and promotion, the best they can do is one single in top 30 in America and everything post first single basically tanks. (ok, so maybe Stuck in a moment is an exception) How many average 15 year olds now would know what JT, or even AB is?

Anyone else getting a feeling of a massive pre-end of career cleaning up? Zoo TV DVD, Popmart DVD to come out, the biography, the definitive Best of their career...all that's missing is Red Rocks on DVD.

U2MDfan: I hope they have a great album in them too, not that I feel it would silence the critisicm of their business affairs. They tried with Eno and Lanois, maybe Rubin is the man for the third "masterpiece"?

There is a possibility that the contract said "make the Best ofs in 4 years' time apart" - so Best of 1 in 1998, Best of 2 in 2002 and Best of 3 in 2006. Still, it's a shame they're repeating the songs already repeated on previous Best ofs.
or maybe again they just want everything they done in the past out in the open, so they litreally dont have to keep going back to it, after all the band said they dont want to look back, they want to look at the future both with the band and in personal life, but if they still have all these things to release from there past, then its going to force them to keep looking at it, going against everything they have said.

i really dont see this as an end of the band type thing, and its quite possible the band havent had a say in this, but the record company maybe asking them to have it out before signing a new contract?

i just think its totally unfair to constantly critise the band when we dont even know the full reasoning behind this desicion, after all, they have been doing it for 30 years and know alot more than we ever will, and plus, its the bands songs, they can do whatever the hell they like with them.

U2girl said:

Now in 1992 they had just released a massive album and were into a massive tour - both hugely succesful, unlike 2000 coming off two less-than-massive albums and a less-then-sellout tour for the first time ever. They were younger, and 4/5 years behind their conquest of US market. It's not like JT was a distant past then.

Im pretty sure that Elevation and Vertigo (once it comes to its end in Hawaii) will have been more sucessful tha Zoo Tv. And a less than sell-out tour? I assume your referring to Vertigo and the fact that Hawaii, Sydney 3 and Adelaide have not sold out. Did each and every Zoo Tv and Zooropa show sell out completely?

I really do not think we should look too much into the US album charts, the sales criteria is always changing, it is better to have a look at the UK market for singles, where u2s last showing (vertigo - 1, sycmioyo - 1 and Cobl - 2) was as impressive as it has ever been.

OK, but why all the rush? Why grab everything and put it out NOW? The book, the DVD, the Best of - if it's not a clean-up before the end? Surely they don't think the fans can't be a year without a U2 release?

Whether they put it out now, all music they ever made is a part of their catalogue so it still there, on a Best of or not. They can't just say "ok we will never be influenced by our past from now on". I don't know...the band did have a say which songs will make it onto the previous Best of so they do have at least some say in it.

You know I am not a critic of U2 in the past few years' of their career, I always defend them. But this is just baffling to me.

shortfuse said:

Im pretty sure that Elevation and Vertigo (once it comes to its end in Hawaii) will have been more sucessful tha Zoo Tv. And a less than sell-out tour? I assume your referring to Vertigo and the fact that Hawaii, Sydney 3 and Adelaide have not sold out. Did each and every Zoo Tv and Zooropa show sell out completely?

I really do not think we should look too much into the US album charts, the sales criteria is always changing, it is better to have a look at the UK market for singles, where u2s last showing (vertigo - 1, sycmioyo - 1 and Cobl - 2) was as impressive as it has ever been.

I was referring to Popmart dates.

I know, but their efforts show the band cares and looks into the US charts.

U2girl said:
OK, but why all the rush? Why grab everything and put it out NOW? The book, the DVD, the Best of - if it's not a clean-up before the end? Surely they don't think the fans can't be a year without a U2 release?

Whether they put it out now, all music they ever made is a part of their catalogue so it still there, on a Best of or not. They can't just say "ok we will never be influenced by our past from now on". I don't know...the band did have a say which songs will make it onto the previous Best of so they do have at least some say in it.

You know I am not a critic of U2 in the past few years' of their career, I always defend them. But this is just baffling to me.
well i think the book has been rumoured for along time, people have been asking for a Zootv DVD for years, and maybe the recored company are pushing the band to get this best of out?, maybe the band want to re-nagotiate there contract, but the label have turned around and said "well you still have obligations with your other contract", we dont know the facts, but yet again interference and other forums over react like usual

the bottom line is no matter what, we dont have to buy it, the band arent forcing people into buying it, but there must be a reason for them wanting to get it out of the way.

U2girl said:
Anyone else getting a feeling of a massive pre-end of career cleaning up? Zoo TV DVD, Popmart DVD to come out, the biography, the definitive Best of their career...all that's missing is Red Rocks on DVD

:yes: :(

KUEFC09U2 said:
its quite possible the band havent had a say in this, but the record company maybe asking them to have it out before signing a new contract?

:angel:

Im more carm than yesterday now but i sure hope u2 doesnt select the predictable songs, and what songs they pick i want major differences.

p.s i expect a music video to the new song and i wish they wouldnt release it on the 20th, because oasis will get to number 1 in the Uk with their album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom