MERGED--> Kings of Leon Verdicts + How about someone give a review of Kings of Leon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could recognize of kernel of something good in KOL, but they simply were not up to the task. Part of it was that they seemed to shrink a little bit at the prospect of opening up for U2.

Just comparing, for example, to PJ last time around, she was really fired up and talking up U2 and acted like she belonged there. KOL said things like, after two songs, "thanks for being respectful," which I heard as "thanks for not booing us," which kind of communicates to an audience ready to rock that you don't think you're very good.

regularguy said:
KOL said things like, after two songs, "thanks for being respectful," which I heard as "thanks for not booing us," which kind of communicates to an audience ready to rock that you don't think you're very good.

I think they now just how good they are!! but most of america is just not ready for them!!

I really feel for them!!..... to go out and perform to a crowd which is 99% hostile

btw you are the first person who has said anything good about PJ Harvey as support!!............. that's speaks volumes about varied tastes!!

Last edited:
I must've been sitting in the KOL section last night, because EVERYBODY was rocking out to them, and knew every single song they performed!

I enjoyed them, we thought they were pretty good, especially since they were opening for U2, the hottest tour of the year and they had never performed such a large venue before.

I dunno, mebbe I drank my beer too fast? :shrug:

coloradospaul said:
Yuck. Yuck yuck yuck. How come every intro/guitar lick sounded like a cure song? And the screeching....God, stop the screeching.....

After reading your review of U2, KOL didn't stand a chance in your book anyway!!.............if the sound "sucked" for U2, what chance would anybody else have??

Hey,
My show isnt to Philly on May 22ed so I cant coment on King's live show. But I just downloaded both their cd's on I tunes. I really impressed. Im not a huge US Southern rock guy but their is something different about them. The singer has a bit of a mumble mouth but I bet if you read the words along with the song we would all be impressed. I have in playing right now. Im thinking they rock. This being said again I havent seen them live yet so they may come off pretty bad. If nothing else I am recommending both studio CD's.

After reading your review of U2, KOL didn't stand a chance in your book anyway!!.............if the sound "sucked" for U2, what chance would anybody else have??

Ok, since this is the internet and I can't hear the "tone" of your "voice", I'm going to take this with a grain of salt. The sound sucked for U2 show 1. I'm not the only one that said that. I was so willing to give KOL a chance, as I've only heard one song from them. They were terrible. The man doesn't sing, he shreiks. I can sum this up by adding that when I showed up last night at the pepsi center, AFTER the KOL played, the gentleman in front of me said "Do you know the name of the opening band" and I said "that was the kings of leon" and he said "more like the kings of shit. that guy screamed the entire time".

His voice is awesome, I love how it sounds on there studio albums. Kings of Leon has a sweet sound to them, its the lyrics that I hate, but I would pick KoL over The Killers any day.

:mad: Wow, I am really really embarrassed. You guys sound exactly like the drunk high school sounding morons behind us at Denver 2: "What was that? Uncle Leon? We want U2, you suck!!"

If you think KOL sucks, then you really have a very closed mind and not a very good ear for music, frankly. They have an incredibly fresh sound and a manic live presence. My buddy and I saw them on April 18th by themselves here in Albuquerque between the Phoenix and Denver shows and they absolutely tore the place up. They had the whole audience (albeit a smaller one) behaving like U2 fans did in Denver...absolutely roaring.

Caleb's voice really started to have problems near the end of the show and I think he's suffering from a serious cold or something because it was strained a lot in Denver too. But this is because they tour incessantly. They've done about 190 shows a year for the past two years.

It might do some of you some good to read reviews of their albums and live shows from more discerning listeners (i.e. critics). You really are missing out and frankly, you sound like a bunch of whining children. One of the reasons for having an opening act is to give an up-and-coming band extra exposure. I think U2 takes this very seriously and really admires KOL. I read something about how Bono heard them on a television show he was on and asked to talk with them and praised their performance. Sounds like Adam also has a lot of respect for them. Open your damn minds. You think there weren't people questioning why a screechy-singing Bono was opening for bigger bands at the beginning of their career?

Did you want a more radio-friendly band? Come on.

Stop bitching.

i have nothing against KOL.
i think KOL could even open up for Lynrd Skynrd on their next tour:sexywink:

db9

Last edited:
KOL???

IMHO:

:blahblah: :yuck: :no: :yawn:

*looks for barfing smilie*

Band was OK I guess, but to me, the lead singer sounded like a fingernail scratching down a chalkboard!!There were a few times I had to cover my ears! :eek: They're from my town...but I'd never heard of them til this tour...go figure! Hey, people, Nashville DOES have good rock bands! This ain't one of 'em!! In fact, to me, that lead singer is an embarrassment!!

Oh well. Just my little opinion!

Last edited:
I've not wandered in here before but:

"can't understand a word he says" - listen to the first 3 REM albums and tell me what Michael's saying. I had no idea what Bono was singing on Boy and October, except for what they printed on the sleeve, and the Ramones's songs sounded EXACTLY the same for 20 years!

Maybe the US should have Britney as the opener. She "puts on a show", or how about Christina? or some American Idol manufactured crap?

:mad:

All I can say is, someone asked what we thought and I told 'em. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Those who like the lead singer's voice, go ahead, enjoy it, and please respect the opinions of those who don't.

I do happen to like the drumming.

Word, MysteryGirl.

The band was decent, and the music wasn't too bad, but it was as if the lead was trying to channel Dylan and Cobain but failed on both counts. He seemed really relieved that people were cheering for him (as tepid as it was), and kept thanking us for being respectful and giving him the opportunity to do this, sans spitting or flipping the bird. So I didn't mind giving a bit of pity applause. I just wish my ears could adjust to the decibles with a better group.

dmbfan825 said:
Kings Of Leon were the worst opening band I've ever seen. And that includes Shawn Mullin's "The Thorns".

i think KOL
could open up for..

BTO if they were to reunite and tour.
:wink:

db9

WTH were they thinking???

(hope this isn't a duplicate thread)

WTH was someone thinking when they put Kings of Leon on the same stage as U2? :huh: That was THEE worst noise I've ever heard in my life. I felt bad for them, they were so awful. Who chooses who's going to open for the headliner, anyway? :eyebrow:

im pretty sure the record label has most of the say in who opens. they werent the worst opening act ive heard but they were far from enjoyable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom