MERGED --> Joshua Tree Limited edition: Paris + outside its America + Tracklisting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2FanPeter said:

When CDs are sold for less than wholesale price in a first week sale, who eats the difference? Label or retailer?

The retailer wouldn't have much reason to mark down the first week if they ate the difference now would they?

BrownEyedBoy said:
To be honest, I never quite understood what the whole hype was about JT. It´s really just three amazing songs and the rest is a decent but somewhat lackluster delivery. Several of the songs seem like filler and I´ve always thought that "In God´s Country" and "One Tree Hill" sound the same. Trip through your wires was for a while a favorite of mine from this album but it would never hold a candle to any of the songs from Achtung (except, of course, TTYAATW).

I think that JT was the best album to come out in its own time and the rest of the hype has just been because it´s suppossed and expected to be accepted as a masterpiece. Or, maybe, the reason why so many people worship this album is because the three amazing songs make up for the rest of its mediocrity. (Yeah, I said it.)

"Of course" Tryin' to Throw? The live versions are one of my favorite songs from the Zoo era. And IMHO Trip Through Your Wires is the weakest song on JT.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The retailer wouldn't have much reason to mark down the first week if they ate the difference now would they?

Sure they would, it's called a "loss leader." Best Buy is willing to sell you a new release CD at a loss, betting that a certain percentage of people who come in to buy that CD end up leaving with an HDTV and an extended warranty.

The retailer just wants to get you (and your credit card) into the store, particularly this close to the holidays.

Last edited:
BrownEyedBoy said:
To be honest, I never quite understood what the whole hype was about JT. It´s really just three amazing songs and the rest is a decent but somewhat lackluster delivery. Several of the songs seem like filler and I´ve always thought that "In God´s Country" and "One Tree Hill" sound the same. Trip through your wires was for a while a favorite of mine from this album but it would never hold a candle to any of the songs from Achtung (except, of course, TTYAATW).

I think that JT was the best album to come out in its own time and the rest of the hype has just been because it´s suppossed and expected to be accepted as a masterpiece. Or, maybe, the reason why so many people worship this album is because the three amazing songs make up for the rest of its mediocrity. (Yeah, I said it.)

Couldnt disagree with you more on this one. I think some of the problem is with the younger fans you didnt experience the Joshua Tree era for what it was. U2 was the king and they did it sounding like no one else at the time. You factor everything in and what an impact that entire album had at the time it was/is really something amazing.

JT is an album that I can listen to start to finish at anytime in any mood and enjoy it. The weakest track to me is Trip Through Your Wires and I still enjoy that one also. Achtung Baby is my 2nd favorite album and is great but I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it now and I generally skip some songs on it. JT is their most complete cohesive album to me and it will most likely always be my favorite album of all time, period, by any artist as a result.

Blue Room said:

JT is an album that I can listen to start to finish at anytime in any mood and enjoy it. The weakest track to me is Trip Through Your Wires and I still enjoy that one also. Achtung Baby is my 2nd favorite album and is great but I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it now and I generally skip some songs on it. JT is their most complete cohesive album to me and it will most likely always be my favorite album of all time, period, by any artist as a result.

QFT.

Danny Boy said:

Sure they would, it's called a "loss leader." Best Buy is willing to sell you a new release CD at a loss, betting that a certain percentage of people who come in to buy that CD end up leaving with an HDTV and an extended warranty.

The retailer just wants to get you (and your credit card) into the store, particularly this close to the holidays.

Yes, Best Buy and other big box retailers use the music and DVD departments to bring in customers. This is why they can afford to have cheaper prices than someone like Tower or smaller just music stores.

But the reduction of new releases comes more from labels in order to get chart numbers. For new releases are reduced all over and not just those that can afford "loss leaders".

Man, I feel very lucky that I am old enough to have bought JT on vinyl and listened to it on headphones on release day.
Since the advent of the net, it seems that the magic of first listens has been tainted. Listening to a compressed U2 record for the first time on thru computer speakers sucks. :sad:
I think music has been "devalued".
Hence u2 will get my $$ for this record which gave me the strength to walk again. No lie.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Check www.u2start.com -> news headlines
and roll your mouse over: "09.11 Joshua Tree Demo Revealed"

It says: "Bono recently added new vocals to 'wave of sorrow' and this week talked about the inspiration for the song. watch the video"
The link to the U2.com site doesn't seem to be working however....

Last edited:
phanan said:
New vocals? Uh oh...

I see that quote when I roll the mouse over, but when I click on the link, it takes me to u2.com and I don't see that blurb anywhere.

you might have to be a subscriber...

Dorian Gray said:

you might have to be a subscriber...
I'm a subscriber and the only news is about the 3d show. But I guess the headline is automatically generated, and they put it up before the actual news item is there.

EDIT: the clip is online as we speak! You can hear Bono singing to the reworked demo song.
http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=2166

Last edited:
Oh my God, thanks, I just watched it .... Bono talking and singing over his own vocals (actually remembering most of the lyrics) and explaining the song ... great video, I hope someone can upload this to You Tube. Great news about the demos, I'm getting more excited about this release every day now.

Really touched by watching Bono do this, genuinely passionate about his own music, trying to get the message across in a really honest way. Good to hear Bono being so "into" about his own music. It is funny how he does struggle with his own lyrics at times though... although he isn't self-conscious at all, and i have heard in previous interviews that he likes to do this when he plays U2's new album to people before release, constantly justify his lyrics and talking over the melody...

However, and I know that this is the first time I've heard this, but it doesn't sound like it would have fit on the original JT, which is pure perfection in my eyes, probably the best sequenced album ever.

Brilliant insight and a great clip, thanks.

Last edited:
Seems to be a very good song, can't wait for other demos to be available :up:

Now waiting for all non suscribed u2.com haters to come here and insist on getting the video... :|

^ So that's fine, but what bugs me is that everyone is having fun by moaning and bitching about u2.com, and when something exclusive is finally uploaded, a video, interview or whatever, everyone with no exception want to grab their hands on it forgetting their "always ready to bash" attitude. Are you sure it's ok to whine about something and then ask for it with no shame?

chrissybaby said:
However, and I know that this is the first time I've heard this, but it doesn't sound like it would have fit on the original JT, which is pure perfection in my eyes, probably the best sequenced album ever.

Brilliant insight and a great clip, thanks.

With a new vocal it's similar to how Sweetest Thing 1998 was presented to the public. I wonder if they will advertise this "new" track in the press.

I think that musically fits in with some of the other JT Bsides.

Lyrically it comes from the same trip Bono took that yeilded the lyrics to BTBS.

u2fp

That was cool to watch. I wonder when that video was recorded, because it's interesting to note that the others hadn't heard it yet, and he was still waiting for "feedback" from the rest.

Apparently they liked it.

EDIT: I guess it was just done this week according to the notes, but that leads me to wonder how in the world they'll get this out within the next few weeks.

phanan said:
That was cool to watch. I wonder when that video was recorded, because it's interesting to note that the others hadn't heard it yet, and he was still waiting for "feedback" from the rest.

Apparently they liked it.

EDIT: I guess it was just done this week according to the notes, but that leads me to wonder how in the world they'll get this out within the next few weeks.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense to me that they would still be recording vocals and it's released in a couple of weeks... Plus they already have pics of a pressing, doesn't add up.

But the song sounds amazing.

I doubt it was just this week...that doesn't make sense. Any PLEBANs know when Bono was in New York?

The song sounds fantastic. It has elements of Edge's work on the "Captive" soundtrack in there. From the vocals that you can just hear underneath, it sounds like the newly added vocals are probably some or all of the "blessed are the"s at the very end. That part has more of the scratchy, staccato Bono of present day.

Sounds great & I imagine it'll get some heavy listens by these ears once it comes out. :D

Anybody able to capture the video & post a download? :cute:

Seems like there is an a capella part at the end of the song, which I think is great.

The recording could have been done any time during the last weeks, Bono has been in the US since late September and mostly in NY. The interview, though, may have been done very recently.

Cannot wait to have the cd, and I would also love a download or a You Tube video in better quality. I'm sure someone will be able to rip the audio, like they did with the Lanois Fez stuff.

How cool is it that we get to hear Bono talking about this song now? For most reissues a band (or more likely just their record label) will just throw on a few demos or remixes with no forethought. But here is a brand new interview of Bono pouring his heart out over a so-called "throwaway" track.

Obviously the rumor that the band had limited involvement in the JT reissue is false. We've got new essays by the band members for the liner notes and this video; all indications are that they were intimately involved with it and that they care about it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom