MERGED->GA rules and setlist details posted! + why 2 lines + I'm gonna miss lining up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tkramer said:

LOL! I suppose you are right, by way of Websters' dictionary. Actually, I did my definition by what I've seen on Ticketmaster, etc. Here is the def at ticketmaster, which is where I bought it:

I've learned that Ticketbastard are like republicans, they will follow something when it works in their favor, but if you question them on any ambiguous policy, they'll just say, we didn't quite mean it that way.

badge1 said:
I do not believe that U2 would be in agreement with this lottery system at all.... If we were to make our voices heard in an official manner, in the form of a petition from the head of the site and in conjunction with other sites, and made U2 aware of this, or their management, we can get this lottery system cancelled.

After all the fury around the first presale, I can't imagine that U2 aren't 100% aware of the lottery system. I think there's no way this happens without their total knowledge, understanding and suport of it....... Which doesn't mean they can't change it if enough people complain but I'm sure the band is aware of it.

bobfrombob said:

After all the fury around the first presale, I can't imagine that U2 aren't 100% aware of the lottery system. I think there's no way this happens without their total knowledge, understanding and suport of it....... Which doesn't mean they can't change it if enough people complain but I'm sure the band is aware of it.

Good Point, you are probably correct, but I still feel that based on the responses from this site, there is a strong probability that most longtime U2 fans are not in agreement with this system and feel that their are only con's and no pro's to it. It should be first come, first serve (ellipse if they want, or not, but up to them ). What if you get into the ellipse and don't want to enter ? Are you forced to go ? And it would be heartbreaking to want to enter and be denied based on chance. The advantage of the heart/ellipse is the freedom it gives you: generally it's not as crowded in there, so you can move/dance around, further, you get go get food, drinks, merchandise, go to the bathroom between sets ( opening act and U2) , etc.... and come back and be right back in the heart of the action, it really makes the whole concert experience that much better.

I firmly believe that if we get a petition going from multile fan sites, the lottery system will be scrapped.

Please post your thoughts.........

What is it with American's and their GA troubles! Come on! In Europe GA is the most normal thing in the world and noone make such a fuzz about it!

U2 has no part in this, maybe only by claiming 50% of the people for the egg being U2.com members...

Normally the venue takes care of the GA procedure... With áll U2's previous tours it was all done in a different way per tour and even per venue...

What makes you think that now that they also do GA in the States, U2 suddenly decides the procedure :)

Trust me, at the next venue there will be a different procedure...

badge1 said:

Good Point, you are probably correct, but I still feel that based on the responses from this site, there is a strong probability that most longtime U2 fans are not in agreement with this system and feel that their are only con's and no pro's to it. It should be first come, first serve (ellipse if they want, or not, but up to them ). What if you get into the ellipse and don't want to enter ? Are you forced to go ? And it would be heartbreaking to want to enter and be denied based on chance. The advantage of the heart/ellipse is the freedom it gives you: generally it's not as crowded in there, so you can move/dance around, further, you get go get food, drinks, merchandise, go to the bathroom between sets ( opening act and U2) , etc.... and come back and be right back in the heart of the action, it really makes the whole concert experience that much better.

I firmly believe that if we get a petition going from multile fan sites, the lottery system will be scrapped.

Please post your thoughts.........

Dear God not another petition!! Why is it everytime someone doesnt agree with one thing here its time for a petition??? Look, sometimes things dont work exactly how you want and are out of your control. The band, management and venue security have legitimate reasons they are doing this. Look at the insanity of people camping out over a day before the show. They dont want that occurring and it would have only become worse as the tour went on. It would have gone to the point of people literally waiting out there dayS before the show. This alleviates that problem completely. Is it perfect, no. Is it completely random, yes. Did it go smoothly yesterday? Appears it did, despite some doomsayers saying there would rioting. I think its here to stay for N. America at least. Europe could be different, there is no Ellipse on that stage set up. Just the normal corrals.

Honestly I dont care either way. Although I think camping out over a day before the show is completely ridiculous. It appears the band and their management agree.

SoCalMusicLover said:

I've learned that Ticketbastard are like republicans, they will follow something when it works in their favor, but if you question them on any ambiguous policy, they'll just say, we didn't quite mean it that way.

Let's not be annoying and generalize, bring politics into a matter that clearly has nothing to do with politics, or offend a decent percentage of the readers. Ooops. Too late.

I was there yesterday and as number 6 in line I know all of the accurate details. At 9:00am the brought over the line that had been established by fans the day before and throughout the night. The numbers hit 409 by 9:00am. Everyone walked over in line to the GA line. If your tickets says "Fan" (it can say N-Fan, B-Fan, W-Fan, etc.) on it you were told to go one line if it said "adult" you went to another. The Fan line was any presale ticket holders, the adult line was all regular sale ticket holders. Both of these lines were let in at the same time. So if you were in the much shorter fan line you were processed concurrently with the general sale line but not before everyone else. You were allowed to have cell phones and cameras but no detachable lens cameras were allowed or cameras that could take video. Once inside you got a wrist band then they scanned your ticket and you either get another wrist band for into the ellipse or you don't and you go outside.

There are still advantages to being there early. I was one of the first people in the building and did not get a ellipse wristband but was able to proceed to the bar outside the heart. So this system does not dissuade lining up early, just makes it random if you get inside or your are stuck outside.

My only complaint it that it was not officially stated before. I would not have gotten there when I did if I KNEW that it was not first come, first serve. I still would get there early for a good spot inside or outside the ellipse wherever luck places me. But not nearly as early as I did this time. It is just not worth it.

Blue Room said:

Dear God not another petition!! Why is it everytime someone doesnt agree with one thing here its time for a petition??? Look, sometimes things dont work exactly how you want and are out of your control. The band, management and venue security have legitimate reasons they are doing this. Look at the insanity of people camping out over a day before the show. They dont want that occurring and it would have only become worse as the tour went on. It would have gone to the point of people literally waiting out there dayS before the show. This alleviates that problem completely. Is it perfect, no. Is it completely random, yes. Did it go smoothly yesterday? Appears it did, despite some doomsayers saying there would rioting. I think its here to stay for N. America at least. Europe could be different, there is no Ellipse on that stage set up. Just the normal corrals.

Honestly I dont care either way. Although I think camping out over a day before the show is completely ridiculous. It appears the band and their management agree.

I understand your point about the petition and, even though I don't like this system I'm not going to have a cow about it. But I sincerely doubt this system is going to stop people from lining up early. If someone wants the best spot they can get, they're still going to line up early. In the likely event that you don't get into the ellipse, lining up still guarantees you an excellent spot outside the ellipse (if you don't get into it) that you might not have gotten if you hadn't lined up. In fact, on the last tour I knew several people who lined up early with the express intent of going for the "tip" of the heart- the motivation of those people will be unaffected by the random lottery to determine admission to the ellipse. And if you do get in, lining up guarantees you the best spot on the inside. And if someone's crazy enough to camp out overnight to get a good spot, they're going to at least want the chance to get the best spot.

As an example, this system actually kind of makes me want to get there earlier than when I was planning. My goal was pretty much just to get into the oval and, if it were first come first served, I wouldn't have had to arrive all that early to do that, since 400 people fit into it. But now that it's more likely than not that I won't get in, I'd rather guarantee myself a prime spot outside the ellipse. So I'd better get there early, just in case. You can think I'm crazy for doing this, but the bottom line is people who care about their spot are going to care about it whether there's a "lottery" or not.

It's hard to tell what effect exactly this system is going to have. We'll have to see how it goes with the next few shows to get a better idea. But I really think there will still be people who will line up, and I think they'll get there pretty much as early as they would have otherwise.

Honestly, I think this policy is much more about getting different people into the ellipse at different shows and not seeing the same faces every night. Which is a perfectly legitimate goal, but if their intent really was to prevent the crazy lines, this was not a good system to choose.

I'm sure U2 is aware of what went on last night and I'm sure this process will be tweaked over the next few shows to make it such that the fans are happy and the band is happy. It's my understanding that the ellipse was not very full and many of the people in it were not die-hard fans. Well, I can tell you that the guys are not going to stand for that. I'm sure the band gets a good portion of their energy from the energy of the people in the ellipse and if they are not into it then it's gonna change. This process, of course, is the result of the ticket fiasco and the fact that so many "real" fans didn't get the GA tix, and trying to make it fair somehow and put everyone on equal footing. However, I do believe that people that get there early to the venue should be rewarded for their tenacity. This process is going to change...I'm sure of it. I'm sure this was discussed, at great length, after the show. That's one of the downsides to going to one of the 1st shows...everything's not quite worked out yet...but, everyone...enough of the whining.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

I understand your point about the petition and, even though I don't like this system I'm not going to have a cow about it. But I sincerely doubt this system is going to stop people from lining up early. If someone wants the best spot they can get, they're still going to line up early. In the likely event that you don't get into the ellipse, lining up still guarantees you an excellent spot outside the ellipse (if you don't get into it) that you might not have gotten if you hadn't lined up. In fact, on the last tour I knew several people who lined up early with the express intent of going for the "tip" of the heart- the motivation of those people will be unaffected by the random lottery to determine admission to the ellipse. And if you do get in, lining up guarantees you the best spot on the inside. And if someone's crazy enough to camp out overnight to get a good spot, they're going to at least want the chance to get the best spot.

As an example, this system actually kind of makes me want to get there earlier than when I was planning. My goal was pretty much just to get into the oval and, if it were first come first served, I wouldn't have had to arrive all that early to do that, since 400 people fit into it. But now that it's more likely than not that I won't get in, I'd rather guarantee myself a prime spot outside the ellipse. So I'd better get there early, just in case. You can think I'm crazy for doing this, but the bottom line is people who care about their spot are going to care about it whether there's a "lottery" or not.

It's hard to tell what effect exactly this system is going to have. We'll have to see how it goes with the next few shows to get a better idea. But I really think there will still be people who will line up, and I think they'll get there pretty much as early as they would have otherwise.

Honestly, I think this policy is much more about getting different people into the ellipse at different shows and not seeing the same faces every night. Which is a perfectly legitimate goal, but if their intent really was to prevent the crazy lines, this was not a good system to choose.

Actually, I think your last paragraph about different faces is part of it as well.

Regarding lining up, yes people still will. But like I sad in another thread the main reason on Elevation was to be in the heart. People will camp out but its not going to be the insanity that was about to ensue if something wasnt done. Will be interesting to see how they tweak it. Sounds like they need to adjust the numbers at least to get the elipse fuller.

So how crowded WAS the floor outside the egg? Did they oversell it?

How many people would you say were in the u2.com line?

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Actually, I think your last paragraph about different faces is part of it as well.

Sorry, that's what I meant...that could have been worded better.

And I still think the bottom line is, if getting there early is necessary to get you the best spot possible, quite a few people will be crazy enough to do it. Less people will camp out, I'm sure. But for most people that did it last time, it was about getting the best spot, not just getting in the heart. And I don't think that will change this time around.

I prefer the new system. It should have been communicated prior to San Diego but we all know about it now. There should be less complaints going forward.

U2 is trying to be fair and the only thing they are taking away is the fact that the same 20 people are always in the front row.

Johnovox said:
I prefer the new system. It should have been communicated prior to San Diego but we all know about it now. There should be less complaints going forward.

U2 is trying to be fair and the only thing they are taking away is the fact that the same 20 people are always in the front row.

Are you kidding? The only thing it does is make it unfair for everyone. It's neither a real GA line, (like they lead all buyers to believe) nor is it a real lottery (which actually would prevent a big line up). Instead it's one big mess.

why 2 lines

Why would there be 2 lines, one for u2.com members and one for general GA, if the chances of getting chosen for the inside of the eclipse are the same? Simply to get into the arena faster?

PS. WHOEVER FROM U2 IS READING: PLEASE GO BACK TO YOUR PROCESS USED IN ELEVATION. FIRST COME FIRST SERVE. Those that wait in line are your true fans and you want to continue to provide your true fans with the best experience rather than some schmoe joe that bought GA's by chance. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of the lottery!

Because they're trying to do everything they can to help the U2.com members after the presale fiasco. The U2.com will always be remarkably shorter at every gig and they set that up so if a U2.com member does not get into the ellipse they have the best chance at getting the best spot on the floor.

So, does this mean that even for those venues that sold PRESALE, people that are u2.com members still get to go to the u2.com line with their membership ids and not with the "FAN" ticket?

No, that is not going to be the case now. Because so many members have yet to receive the membership cards.

If a show wasnt presold its likely going to be one solid GA line, we'll know more after tonight as tonight is the first show that wasnt presold.

I misread your question.

Presale shows - if you have a presale ticket (with Fan on it) you go to the U2.com line

Non presold shows - Likely one solid GA line.

This has been changed--according to atu2.com there are now 2 lines today--you can show your dcard or your profile....

I'm gonna miss lining up all day..to get in...

One of the highlights to the elevation tour was lining up at 5 in the morning drinking irish whisky hidden in starbucks cups waiting all day... gettin' pissed up and knowing your getting into the heart... this lottery bites ass... what happend to the good old days... u know, when u put the time and effort into something and then got what you worked for....

This Lottery is BULL:censored:

Ban the Lottery....

The GA policy sucks. I'll cross my fingers and we'll see what happens. But this it DOES take the fun out of true GA. The only people that are happy about this stupid policy are those that don't want to sacrifice their valuable time.

Well 2 for 2 and I haven't gotten into the ellipse......yet!:mad: It does make you upset seing the inside not filled at all! BUT it has given me a different perspective of the whole show. I've seen it from the back in San Diego 1 in seats, I've seen from the outer front rail in Anaheim 1 AND from the soundboard in Anaheim 2. It is cool to see it from all around the arena BUT I do miss being in the front!! Good lord just one more time and I would be a happy camper. :wink: Anyway believe me I won't bitch about it! At least I got the ticket everybody wanted right?:ohmy: :D

Back
Top Bottom